When is Herb coming out with new music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzdre

I love the fact that Herb is coming out with even more reissues of his older material, so that older fans can enjoy this music in digitally remastered glory, and that even newer and younger fans can enjoy the tunes to see what all the fuss is all about( he has already garnered a new generation of fans thanks to youtube's airing of "Rise": with younger fans finally finding out that Biggie and Puffy didn't come up with this song out of their heads!)

However, what I am wondering is: when is Herb finally going to put out an album of all new original material?!! For years, there's been talk of an album he and Lani were supposed to be working on; an album of standards, but it has not come out as yet. Will it ever come out? Or is Herb still having problems with A&M/Universal, and that's why he isn't releasing new material? Would like to know!

As far as I know, Herb hasn't recorded an album of all original material in his entire career. As for a new album, I doubt it. And personally, I'd rather see reissues than a new album.

I think you're right that Herb has never recorded an all original album. The closest was JUST YOU AND ME which was all original, with the small exception of the traditional tune "Yankee Doodle."

I agree, would just as soon see more reissues than new stuff. I like RE-WHIPPED, but I like any other TJB album better. I'd like to see a box set with a nice book. Herb deserves that.

Hey Audio and Mike:

When I said 'original material', I think you misunderstood me. What I really meant was new material(new songs, new productions, etc)

Like when Herb did a remake of "Maniac"(one of his worst performances, in my opinion), it wasn't original, but it was new and fresh, and on his 'new' album at the time "Bullish". That's what I meant by original material.

The standards cd that was supposed to come out were Herb and Lani's twist on old material in a new fresh fomat that would have been (in my opinion) new original material. In other words, a new cd.

I hope that you now understood what I was talking about; what I originally meant.

Here I go again! When I said "new material(new songs,new productions,etc)" what I REALLY should have said was new arrangements! New arrangements of old material!

Like Herb's version of "The Shadow Of Your Smile"(one of his best performances), he took a tune that was already done before, rearranged it and made it completely new! Now we have an Alpertized version of the tune!( a lot of critics have said his strengths musically lie in his arranging of other material, rather than his own compositions.)

I personally would like to hear Herb's version of Pat Metheny's classic,"Are You Going With Me?" Or even another Metheny tune "Yolanda You Learn"(because it has a happy upbeat arrangement that reminds me of the TJB). Or even "Blue In Green" by Miles. Another Metheny tune "Sueno Con Mexico" would be PERFECT for Herb; with its Latin tinged arrangement.

So that's what I really meant! Hope this REALLY clears things up!

These days, Mr. Alpert concentrates on his abstract art and running the Herb Alpert Foundation. He is personally involved in the reissue program, but don't expect a new album. The closest he got was RE-WHIPPED, which unlike some of the people on this forum, I didn't buy, because hearing sound clips of each of the tracks, I just wasn't all that thrilled. (But, to each his own). In addition to the new beats, he also overdubbed some new trumpet parts here and there.

Not to start a debate, but all the TJB/solo stuff being out of print for so long, Herb Alpert's material seems to have been written off as forgotten "elevator music" (the exception to the rule are the legions of fans on this forum and elsewhere, such as myself, who think differently).

Not to start a debate, but all the TJB/solo stuff being out of print for so long, Herb Alpert's material seems to have been written off as forgotten "elevator music" (the exception to the rule are the legions of fans on this forum and elsewhere, such as myself, who think differently).

People that I've talked to who originally liked Herb's music (who know nothing of A&M Corner) were very excited to rediscover it when I recently played it for them, and to hear about the reissued CDs. The problem is - they were hearing about the reissues from me. Not Shout Factory. Not the media.

There are exceptions. My parents found out about the reissues at the same time I did. Apparently, there was a write-up in their newspaper. They went out to a CD store and bought up a bunch of them - and my parents never buy CDs. So if the marketing were broader and aimed at the right audience, I think we would see similar results. There are a lot of people out there who would love to rediscover the TJB, but because they've long since gotten out of the habit of going to record/CD stores (likely due to a lack of being able to find anything they'd want to buy), they have no way of knowing these reissues exist.

(And for the sake of this topic - I'd love to hear a new album, too.)

And personally, I'd rather see reissues than a new album.
From an artistic point of view, I think this is a rather sad statement. Of course it is completely OK for us fans to want "the old stuff" reissued, but not exclusively. For me, I would love to see Herb come out with more new, exciting music.

- greetings from the north -
Martin

I think it would be good for Herb's sake to release an album. To get back in the game and back on the scene. But for my sake, I haven't liked much of anything Alpert has put out in the recent years, so I'd rather see reissues if I had to pick one or the other.

That's the place I'm in. If Herb were to do another "pop" album, I'd be all over it. But his focus now is jazz (even on the REWHIPPED sessions), more improvisational, which is much less my "cup of tea." So while I'd love to see him do brand new music, new versions of old songs or whatever he wants, if he would focus on getting the rest of his catalog out I would probably be happier.

Colors was - IMHO - an excellent album, although Iquite appreciate it wasn't perhaps to the taste of diehard TJB fans. Equally, some of the projects Herb has been associated with in past years - like "Moving Images" - has been really superb for jazz afficionados. (Count me in, here!)

Face it, Herb is at a stage in his life when he doesn't HAVE to do anything. Whatever he gives us is a bonus. Please try to see it that way, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom