1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

When was TJB's first TV appearance?

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Mike Blakesley, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator Thread Starter

... and on what show? I've seen a lot of clips on Youtube and such but I've never seen a notation on whether it was their first appearance or not.

A guy on Facebook was asking and it sorta roused my curiosity.

2. DAN BOLTON

DAN BOLTON Active Member

I think it was probably The Ed Sullivan Show in 1965, but I'm not sure.

Dan

3. Steve Sidoruk

Steve Sidoruk Founder, A&M Fan Net Moderator

The Mike Douglas Show on 7/29/1965
    Fanfare (on CBS) 7/31/1965
    Ed Sullivan (on CBS) 11/7/1965

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  4. AM Matt

AM Matt Well-Known Member

Yep & I was 5 months old by then!!:eek: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

5. I suppose one could make the case that FANFARE (a summer-replacement music series on CBS) would be the first national appearance of the Brass, particularly in prime time. THE MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW was probably almost as big nationally, but it was a syndicated daytime show run by Westinghouse Broadcasting, first from Cleveland, later from Philadelphia.

I think my first exposure to them on TV was on the Grammy show the following year - but possibly that ED SULLIVAN SHOW.

6. My earliest definite memory of TJB on TV was their first special, April '67, in glorious black & white!

7. My earliest definite memory of TJB on TV was their first special, April '67, in glorious black and white. We had a color set in time to see the '68 special.

Steven J. Gross likes this.
  8. Does Herb own the rights to any of these appearances/specials so they could be released by HAP? I'm obviously too young to have ever seen any of them. :sad:

9. I believe he owns his own specials, but probably not shows like ED SULLIVAN.

10. Steve Sidoruk

Steve Sidoruk Founder, A&M Fan Net Moderator

TJB Television, Inc. still exists.

Bobberman likes this.
  11. Here's a bit of a different promo for Herb's first television special. It's at the tail end of a long promo for the "new" series, HAWAII FIVE-O. At around 5:45, the announcer, Art Gilmore, tells viewers that the upcoming season will have the "look of something special" on CBS, as we catch glimpses of Herb & The TjB.

Bobberman likes this.