Where to find "Ode to the Sun?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's never been made available as a recording on an album or even a single that I know of.

I've got it on the Japanese LaserDisc version of THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT, but there too it's used as a theme, fading into another track, and later concluding the program.

Harry

It was also featured on Herb's documentary "Music For Your Eyes", together with some other material which has not surfaced anywhere else.

Stephen

TonyCurrie said:
Harry said:
TonyCurrie said:
Try:

2020 Original Sound Track
A&M SP5058

Do you mean 2010? The sequel to the Kubrick film?

Harry

....um, yes. I was getting ahead of myself there ..... :oops:

Seriously - I'm pretty sure I have that soundtrack and recall no Herb Alpert tracks on it. (?)

Harry

The soundtrack is out of print, but according to Wikipedia it is composed by David Shire and Craig Huxley, and consists entirely of synthesized music - only two tracks feature a live orchestra. There is no mention of Herb Alpert.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out what Tony meant. The 2010 Soundtrack was SP-5038 (not 5058).

The track list from a soundtrack collector website is:

Track listing

1. 2010 (05:15)

2. Earth / Space (03:15)

3. Probe (04:15)

4. Bowman (01:44)

5. Reactivating Discovery (02:24)

6. Space Linkup / Earth Fallout (03:55)

7. Visitation / Countdown (05:47)

8. Nova / New Worlds / Also Sprach Zarathustra (06:23)

9. New Worlds Theme From "2010" (End Title) (02:30)

Total Duration: 00:35:28

That's pretty much what I recall from the CD that I have. Now I wonder if Tony has some rare British release, or whether he was pulling our collective leg since 2010, the movie, deals with solar/planetary issues, and the title "Ode To The Sun" fits that motif.

Harry

On the reissue version of the soundtrack--there are two tracks called "Ode to the Sun," but it's still just the David Shire soundtrack. I guess that's the answer.

Ah, I see. Some listings of both 2010 and 2001 list the main fanfare from Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" as being the "Ode To The Sun."

Methinks Tony was either confused or messing with our minds...

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom