🎄 Holidays! Which Carpenters Christmas Classic Do You Feel Best Features Karen's Lead Vocal?

Which Carpenters Christmas Classic Do You Feel Best Features Karen's Lead Vocal?

• "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays"

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town"

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • "I'll Be Home For Christmas"

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • "Merry Christmas, Darling"

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the leads on all of these tracks. One of the best qualities of Karen's voice shines through on them all -- its distinctness. I always know when a Carpenters Christmas song comes on the radio, and I'm known to pick one out even if the volume is (very) low. :D Dare I say that Karen stands among other greats of the genre like Bing Crosby and Nat "King" Cole. She brings such a warmth and sentiment to this music...

"Merry Christmas Darling" --probably my favorite. I prefer the 1970 version. Now, too, I'm starting to enjoy the original mixes featured on Christmas Portrait over the mixes featured on that Christmas Collection. I don't mind the "enhanced" background instruments, and I have to say I prefer the remixed sax solo on "..Coming to Town", but on some songs she gets quite an echo on her leads.

A favorite not mentioned here is "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?". A comment from newvillefan I read, saying the lead was "flirtatious", got me interested in how it sounded. He's absolutely right -- what a gem that song is!

I've always liked how Karen sang Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire, but her take on "Do You Hear What I Hear?" Is a real stand-out, and with Richard opening the track, is probably one of the best performances of that track by any group. It's to bad Do Hear doesn't get much AirPlay.

I'll Be Home For Christmas.. . .and (whispering) I'd pick the remixed version.

A glorious song, glorious arrangement, wonderful choir, and one of my favourite Karen vocals. LOVE. IT.

Neil

I'll take the rich, low register on "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town". The contrast with the brilliant trumpets is amazing.

I'm with Harry. Carpenters at their scintillating best.

...SannaClauauause is com-innnn
Totowwwwww-ow-Ow-ownnn.....

{Do-de-da-da-do-de-da-da-Da.Da.DAAAA.....}

[-Oohh.-Oohh.-Oohh...]

...ownnn....

{Toodly do-da-do-de-do-da-toodlydoooo}
Do-DO. do. do. do. do-dahhhhh} (bop)

[He's CO-o-o-o-o-o-minn. to. towwwww -owwwwnn
-o-o-o-o-o-minn. to. towwwww -owwwwnn
-o-o-minn. to. towwwww -owwwwnn
-owwwwnn]

I've really enjoyed this discussion! I chose "Merry Christmas Darling" because it is such a classic, yet several Carpenters' Christmas classics, including those discussed here, do a great job of featuring Karen's lead vocal.

Incidentally, I am one of those people who continues to send Christmas cards. Just before my signature, I always end with the line, "Happy New Year, too!" It's my little nod to "Merry Christmas Darling," and Karen's great lead vocal echoes in my head as I write the line...

I may be one of the youngest on here, but I still prefer the physical Christmas card to the e-mail Christmas card. I find the tactile sense adds to the experience, plus just know that someone took the time to pick out the particular scene and message on the card, even if the person is on ther other side of the continent, it makes me feel like they handed the card right to me, even though Canada Post delivered it.

Lately I've been spinning the 2nd Xmas album more... maybe because I haven't played it quite as much? "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve" is really beautiful... the only other version I'm familiar with is by Johnny Mathis and both are great. "I Heard The Bells on Christmas Day" really moved me the last time I heard it too...

I have to go with "Merry Christmas, Darling". It's a real Carpenters song, not just something they picked out and put on an album. I've always wondered why they didn't do one or two more original songs for their Christmas album. Second choice would be "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", very much a Karen-type song,but I wish she had sang the original lyrics Judy sang in the movie, instead of the bland "highest bough" lyrics. As for "Santa Claus Is..." , I LOVE the single version with the great sax solo, why on earth would Richard change it to a Vegas-lounge song? I thought I would like "Christmas Waltz", and it's not bad, but Nancy Wilson has the definitive version of that song.
One last thought: I love "Sleigh Ride"...their version could make even Scrooge smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom