Why isn't TIMELESS doing well on the charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only "Loose Ends", featuring Justin Timberlake, Pharoahe Monch and will.i.am of The Black-Eyed Peas could pump some "new blood" through this release... Or you'd think a song like, "Yes, Yes Y’All", featuring Black Thought of The Roots, Chali 2na of Jurassic 5, Debi Nova & will.i.am of the Black-Eyed Peas would make this album a "crowd-pleaser"...

Perhaps the key to this album's success would be a song LIKE "Lovers & Friends" by Lil' Jon & The Eastside Boyz, featuring Usher & Ludacris... I think to-date, one of the best songs combining BOTH singing and rapping...!

And while "Surfboard", featuring Will.i.am of The Black-Eyed Peas played on THE TONIGHT SHOW was a fair stab at promotiong this CD, it sadly seems to still have yet to "find the right audience"!

Dave

Sergio's at 107 on next week's Billboard 200, from 82.

The album is climbing on the R&B/Hip Hop album chart -- #71 this week, up from 92 last week. (Its highest position on that chart was #36.)

My sister is the biggest Sergio fan I could possibly imagine (except for all of you obseesives, which I mean as a compliment :) )- she introduced me to Brasil '66 when I was about 10, she goes to see him live whenever she can....but because of that horrible performance on the Tonight Show, she actually PASSED UP the chance to buy the CD at Starbucks. I assured her she'd like the new CD, which I know she would, if only as a novelty. But I don't know if she has, and I don't know if it's still in stock at Starbucks...I wonder how many there are out there like her.....

I guess the fact that Sergio has made the charts at all should be cause for celebration. I think we all looked at this as Sergio's version of the Santana model and thought lightning might strike twice, but IMHO there isn't a "killer" track on this album.

Santana's two recent albums featured "Smooth" with Rob Thomas and "The Game Of Love" with Michelle Branch. These two were "killer" tracks, and rank among the best pop records of the past fifteen years.

While I like just about everything on TIMELESS, I don't hear anything approaching the level of the Santana tracks, but then again, my ears aren't as tuned in to the rap/hip-hop sound.

Harry

Sad to say, but TIMELESS probably isn't really "edgy" enough to catch on with the hip-hop world. And it's too "rap" to catch on with the pop world. A bunch of its sales are probably from diehard will.i.am fans, probably more than older, diehard Sergio fans (many of whom may not have even heard of the album and/or were turned off by the Tonight Show performance.)

A&Mguyfromwayback said:
forgive me for misspelling obsessives (gives you all something else to obsess about!)

Trust me...I've seen far worse spelling in my day! :laugh:

TIMELESS popped back on to the Billboard 200 last week at #137, and drops slightly to 142 on next week's chart. Maybe the upcoming Leno appearance will goose sales further.

I also heard the new "Mas Que Nada" on XM165, the talk channel (it was one of their promo spots, advertising one of the sports channels.)

I happened into a FYE store today, killing time while my car was getting an oil change, and heard "Loose Ends" playing on their in-store music system.

It's funny, it's been awhile since I'd listened to the album, and I thought it was just a generic pop/rap song that I'd heard before. When the announcer identified it as being from Sergio's TIMELESS, I felt a bit embarassed that I didn't instantly recognize it.

Since Herb's RE-WHIPPED came out, TIMELESS has had no spins on my players. I guess I need to revisit it more often...

Harry

Since Herb's RE-WHIPPED came out, TIMELESS has had no spins on my players.
Same here, although I put "Berimbau/Consolacao" and "That Heat" onto a recent compilation I made. But as a CD I've definitely listened to Herb's more than Sergio's.

I heard "Timeless" on a smooth jazz station in Orange County (CA) yesterday, and it worked so well that it kind of frustrated me it hasn't been picked up more....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom