Why there was no NBC Records

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
I know that CBS or Columbia have theirs & still growing & ABC Records had theirs as well back then since it quit back in the Summer of 1979. Why there was no NBC Records back then I wonder??? :confused: Back in 1999, the "Today" show had a CD (which has the peacock logo) of the "Summer Concert Series" with various artists. It seems that Target (store) as well as NBC (peacock logo) have their Christmas CD's called "Sounds Of The Season" (pop, R&B & Country) every November & December. Finally, I know that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) have their own piece of classical music on CD & still going. Matt Clark Sanford, MI P.S. & I thought that A&M Records was the NBC of it's kind. :o :tongue:

RCA bought them at some point, though I'm sure they don't own them anymore. "SNL" and the old "Late Night w/ David Letterman" used to tape at the RCA building in New York. I also recall that RCA had a publishing arm called NBC/Blue Network or something like that. Can anyone bring clarity to my somewhat snowy memory?

Ed

RCA owned NBC for most of its life, so as a company with a successful record division, there wasn't a need for an "NBC Records."

The "NBC Red" and "NBC Blue" networks were from back in the radio days when the network spilt into two to provide more programming. NBC/Red was the main popular network with NBC/Blue handling the classical and sustaining programs. Later on, the NBC/Blue network morphed into what's now known as ABC.

Go here to listen to NBC chimes throughout the years:
http://www.radioremembered.org/nbc_chimes.htm

Harry

That's fascinating stuff, Harry. I just figured NBC Red & Blue were merged into one NBC. I didn't know that Blue became ABC.

Who owns NBC now? I know Disney owns ABC but I don't know who owns NBC.

Ed

Well, I thought there was no NBC Records just because nobody there was interested as in the case with CBS and ABC... Thanks for sharing that, Matt...!

The former ABC Recording Studios, Inc. actually devotes itself to TV shows, such as the Soap Opera, PORT CHARLES, while CBS closed its Hollywood Recording Studios in December of 1972 (And later dates, unknown, for its recording studios in New York, London and Nashville)

And of course ABC was bought-out by MCA and CBS is still a merger with SONY, much like the TIME-LIFE ownership of Warner Brothers... I'm sure NBC still hung on to RCA...

Dave

...Wondering how to get into this "Ownership Game"...; To think Interscope/Universal beat me to A&M! :laugh:

Instead of the chimes, it was around 1969 till 1971 or so that I heard someone said "N-B-C" with the voice (& when they used the lines to make the logo) because I watch TV when I was a baby & someone said it. Does someone have that spoken logo??? Back in December of 1975 when I watched the soap opera "Days Of Our Lives", the start of the program "The Following Program Is Brought To You In Living Color On NBC" (with the peacock), it was shown for the last time because they switched the logo to red & blue in January of 1976. I think that that was the only show that had that opening back in 1975. :shock: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The old NBC Peacock logo can be found here:

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD_html/peacock2.html

colortv_60s_peacock.jpg

Harry

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
Who owns NBC now? I know Disney owns ABC but I don't know who owns NBC.

Ed

NBC is current owned by General Electric.

Harry

Ah. Thanks, Harry. That's been the case for a while and I simply forgot...:wink:

I know ABC Records got eaten by MCA/Universal but the network itself is a Disney property, no?

Ed

Just saw the website but what i'm looking for is the voice which goes: NnnnnnnBeeeeeeeCcccccc (with the lines) not the tones. I heard it back then when "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" was on during the 1970 or 1971 season during the logos. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The "NBC" sound was heard at the coda of America's "Only In Your Heart"... ('Least according to what I read in the liner-notes in their Highway: 30-Years of... Box-Set)

Dave

I heard the song "Only In Your Heart" by America (from 1972 "Homecoming") & I thought it was the PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) logo theme. You can hear it in the "History: America's Greatest Hits" remix version. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

OK, you're right--it was PBS... Yes, I have both Homecoming (where "Only In Your Heart" originated) and History: America's Greatest Hits (which I had on 8-Track, Cassette, Compact Disc, and Lots O' VINYL) so that's where I heard the "logo theme" from...

Dave

AM Matt said:
I know that CBS or Columbia have theirs & still growing & ABC Records had theirs as well back then since it quit back in the Summer of 1979. Why there was no NBC Records back then I wonder??? :confused: Back in 1999, the "Today" show had a CD (which has the peacock logo) of the "Summer Concert Series" with various artists. It seems that Target (store) as well as NBC (peacock logo) have their Christmas CD's called "Sounds Of The Season" (pop, R&B & Country) every November & December. Finally, I know that CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) have their own piece of classical music on CD & still going. Matt Clark Sanford, MI P.S. & I thought that A&M Records was the NBC of it's kind. :o :tongue:

There was no NBC Records because there wasn't a peacock that sang. :twitchy:

It should be pointed out, though, that in an organizational reshuffling, RCA Records, some time in 1968-69, was placed under the administration of the NBC division of RCA Corporation, and I think this held for a few years.

NBC itself started as an offshoot of RCA in 1926. I guess General Sarnoff figured that if he was going to sell people radios, he had better make sure they had something to listen to on them. RCA owned NBC until around 1985, when GE took over both. There actually was an NBC Records label around 1979-80; it seemed to have been created solely to promote the singing career of actress Susan Anton, who NBC was pushing heavily at that time. I seem to recall the logo was the later peacock (the one with only 5 or 6 feathers) and a tone arm replacing the peacock's neck and head in the middle. When Ms. Anton's career tanked, the record label disappeared too.

ABC is actually now owned by Citadel Communications Corporation. They purchased ABC Radio & TV from Disney.
Not quite the case...Citadel, now known as Cumulus Media, bought only some of ABC's radio-only operations (talk radio, ad sales, etc.) Disney still owns the ABC TV network, along with ESPN and other cable networks; and still retains the ESPN radio network, Radio Disney and others. Cumulus handles distribution and sales of ABC radio news, but ABC still produces the content.

Back
Top Bottom