With or without Sergio, Lani is AN AMAZING SINGER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From "Mas Que Nada" on the Herb Alpert Present's Album to "Mas Que Nada" on the Brasil Nativo disc, Lani's vocals have brought something to a song that no other singer's voice could ever bring.

Her solo discography:

http://www.amcorner.com/lanihall/index.php
(plus numerous appearances on Herb Alpert albums...)

Her work with Sergio is often discussed on the forum, but her solo work hasn't been discussed in quite awhile.

For me, the purpose of this string is to salute and discuss Lani's solo career.

Our favorite songs, albums, etc...

Personally, my favorite albums have been: "Sundown Lady", "Hello, It's Me", "Blush", and "Brasil Nativo".

It's amazing to me that she's gone 7 years now without a new record. I think it'd drive me nuts to be such a creative person and not be putting a new product out once in a while. I know Herb has been busy prepping the TJB catalog for release -- and maybe they have been recording during that time (there were rumors of a collaboration album of the two of them for awhile). And there are probably record company considerations too. Or maybe she's just tired of working!

Having said all that -- my favorite of all her solo albums has always been SUN DOWN LADY. To me it's the one where she sounds most at ease. The overall feel of the album is very nice.

Of her Sergio work -- very hard to pick favorites, but I really enjoy her vocals on STILLNESS a lot. Her confidence as a singer reaches a peak on that album, especially on the title track and "Sometimes in Winter." But I have "Lani favorites" on all the other albums too.

My 3 favorite solo songs are: "You" from "Sundown Lady", "I Don't Want You to Go" from "Blush", and "Exclusively for Me" from "Hello, It's Me"

My favorites (yes, it is hard to pick) are "Sunshine After The Rain" from Double Or Nothing (my favorite Lani LP -- I know I'm in the minority on that), "Hello It's Me" and "Wheelers & Dealers" from Hello It's Me, "Come What May" from Blush (Great Herb/Lani Duet), "At The Ballet" from SweetBird and "Love Song" from Sundown Lady. Although Albany Park was overall disappointing, her cover of Nesmith's "Rio" has grown on me over the years.

--Mr Bill

I like pretty much all of Lani's output, no matter where or when she sings, so it's REALLY hard for me to pick.

Her first solo album, SUN DOWN LADY is a winner all the way through. It was quite a change from the more uptempo. Brazilian-flavored albums she'd done with Sergio. It was quieter, more introspective, and had Herb's arranging and producing skills all over it.

I like HELLO IT'S ME too. It's got the entire second-iteration TjB backing her in one place or another on the album, and it continues in the vein of the first album.

Her later '70s albums have their ups and downs for me - there are parts I love, and parts that don't do as much for me.

But I think I find the most joy from Lani's '80s work on her Brazilian and Spanish albums. Once I finally obtained A BRAZILEIRA and her three Spanish albums, I just reveled in the great music contained therein.

Finally, I must mention BRASIL NATIVO, a true gem after a decade of inactivity.

Harry

Lani Hall was pretty much able to "function" outside of the "confines" of her former group fairly well... Her debut, Sundown Lady was done under the "guiding direction" of Herb as producer, and that is why it's her best solo effort. (though she could have spent more time on "Where I May Find Him"--the rewrite of Paul Simion's "For Emily...")

The "sundry implements" by some of the TjB crew on Hello It's Me are a very novel feature, and "Exclusively For Me" was originally written and done by Colin Blunstone, formerly of The Zombies, in a short-lived solo career he had, while a version by Dusty Springfield had been sitting in a vault and had been finally been released shortly after Ms. Springfield's death, paired with the reissue of an album she had made in '73 on Dunhill... But Lani kept the authenticity of Blunstone's version of "Exclusively..." with the Cymbalom added. (much like British groups like Alan Parsons Project would use...)

Sweet Bird finds Lani ably soaring on her own and her '80's albums like Albany Park and Blush also find her a competent Contemporary Pop singer, as well...

Quite a shame, like other A&M artists, Ms. Hall just never got the "universal recognition", in her time, that she deserved...

Dave

I'm in love with Lani. Don't get jealous Herb. You have her and I don't. When I listen to Lani, especially in Spanish, I think of the "what could've been. She had the potential of becoming more well known a la Barbra Streissand (sorry if I misspelled the last name) Maybe she could have obtained this type of status, but she stopped!! Imagine, she could've conquered both the english and spanish speaking markets, but she stopped! Why? Can somebody tell me why? was it that the selling of A&M influenced that decision? Was it the 100million Herb Alpert got for his share and that practically set them up for life? what was it? Why is Alpert painting and sculping instead of playing and puffing the horn? :shock:

Could Lani have ever gotten the notoriety that Streisand has? Good question, actually. Lani certainly has a voice that's as good, or better.

Lani is not as flamboyant of a personality as Streisand is (at least in the public eye), so her "appeal" to the public has probably never been exploited the way it might have been if she was more ...what's the word, marketable?

Lani Hall is an awesome vocalist. Some of my favorite Lani tracks are :
1- Duet with Jose Feliciano in Spanish - Can't remember the titles, shame on me! (Old Timer's Disease?:) )
2-Duets with Jose Jose in Spanish.
3- Duets with Camilo Sesto in Spanish
4- "We Could Be Flying" -From the fantastic "Wings" release -Michel Colombier (R.I.P.)
5- "Sundown Lady"
6- "Like a Lover"
7 "So Many Stars"
8- "Moanin'"
9 - Cinnamon and Clove"
10- Chove Chuva
11- "For Me"
12- "Dock Of The Bay"
13' You Stepped Out OF A Dream
14- "A Brasileira"
It is a shame she has not recorded in a while. I suspect we shall hear something about re-issues soon. Herb is right, she sings more beautiful than a bird! :love:

PartyRico said:
Lani Hall is an awesome vocalist. Some of my favorite Lani tracks are :
1- Duet with Jose Feliciano in Spanish - Can't remember the titles, shame on me! (Old Timer's Disease?:) )
:

Those two title tracks I know very well: "Te quiero Asi" with Jose Jose and "Corazon Encadenado" with Camilo Sesto. I was around 11 when these came out!

"Corazon Encadenado" with Camilo Sesto.

I simply loooooooooooooooooove that song... I used to sing it in karaoke events and familiar parties (always with my best friend, Michael Sobrevilla). I also have dreamed a lot of times about singing this song!

The last time Lani had recorded anything was in 1998.Howver, I hear that she's currently recording a new project which will be produced by Herb.

Cortnee said:
The last time Lani had recorded anything was in 1998.Howver, I hear that she's currently recording a new project which will be produced by Herb.

Actually, Lani was on her hubby's 1999 album, COLORS, providing a backing vocal on "The Look Of Love".

Then last year, we're pretty sure she sang a little bit of backing vocal on Herb's LOST TREASURES recording of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". These vocals sounded new to several of us, though it's possible they were recorded back in the '70s. My money's on new vocals.

This year, she got a non-vocal credit as co-producing Herb's new trumpet work on the RE-WHIPPED album.

Harry

Vikki Carr was very big in the U.S. until the late 1970's. But then she has become massive in Mexico and South America singing mostly in Spanish.
In the Latino community they know Vikki Carr but have never heard of "It Must Be Him". later amigos................JO

Harry said:
Cortnee said:

Actually, Lani was on her hubby's 1999 album, COLORS, providing a backing vocal on "The Look Of Love".

Then last year, we're pretty sure she sang a little bit of backing vocal on Herb's LOST TREASURES recording of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". These vocals sounded new to several of us, though it's possible they were recorded back in the '70s. My money's on new vocals.

This year, she got a non-vocal credit as co-producing Herb's new trumpet work on the RE-WHIPPED album.

Harry

Hi Harry! :) I was talking about Lani recording a solo project which was 1998's Brasil Nativo.Since then, Lani hasn't released any new solo projects.

Cortnee said:
Hi Harry! :) I was talking about Lani recording a solo project which was 1998's Brasil Nativo.Since then, Lani hasn't released any new solo projects.

I knew that - just being thorough! :) In fact there was one more Lani recording that followed BRASIL NATIVO, her Christmas song on the Windham Hill A JAZZ CHRISTMAS album, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

Harry

Harry said:
Cortnee said:

I knew that - just being thorough! :) In fact there was one more Lani recording that followed BRASIL NATIVO, her Christmas song on the Windham Hill A JAZZ CHRISTMAS album, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas".

Harry

Oooops sorry Harry. :oops: My bad.....

*My friend Fernando created a comic called "All about Elka". On chapter three, it's Elka's first day at junior high school, and she makes some friends, including Remedios, who is a Lani Hall's fan. Before lunch break, Elka told Remedios that she had to go to the cafeteria, while Jorge (another student) wrote something like "Laani Xolb" on the chalkboard, and asked Remedios: "Is this the way you write "Lani Hall"?", then Remedios said: "No. "Lani Hall" is written like this..." and she wrote "Lani Hall".

*On a Mexican TV program called "Válvula de escape", there was a Lani Hall's video where she was singing "Where's your angel?". Well, while this video was played, Horacio Villalobos (the host) said that Lani is one of the singers he HATES. He also said that he had never listened to Lani's songs in English, because he was used to her songs in Spanish. In addition to this, he said that Lani couldn't sing well in Spanish. Of course, I was a little upset about this.

[/b]

Im really hoping the upcoming concert (40th Anniv. of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66) will be recorded, or filmed. It would make a great reunion. I sure would love to be there... :sad:

Let me tell you that Lani Hall is one of the greatest singers in the United States. I became a Lani Hall's fan in 2002, when my vocal instructor told me to sing "I'll fall in love again", and I liked that song! Then, I tried to get all Lani's albums, but the only ones I don't have are: Collectibles, Lo mejor de Lani and Classics 19.

But Lani kept the authenticity of Blunstone's version of 'Exclusively...' with the Cymbalom added... (much like British groups like Alan Parsons Project would use...)

Dave

Long forgot to add Laura Nyro's 'Upstairs by A Chinese Lamp' from Christmas and the Beads of Sweat (1970)... A "Cymbalom" & I think one of the first uses of it, there...!

-- Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom