Yard sale finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murray

I normally avoid yard sales, because I already have more than enough junk of my own. :laugh: However, today was a holiday in Canada, so I went out for a leisurely walk, and happened past a sale, so I decided to stop and have a look. I asked the seller if he had any records, and he pulled out a large box of LPs. What I saw in there nearly made my jaw drop...

I am now the proud owner of Summertime, Coney Island, Main Event Live, Just You And Me, Beyond, Fandango, and Bullish!... and I'm only out $3.50 for the lot! :D I've never heard any of these albums before, so the turntable will be getting quite a workout in the next few days.

Does anyone else have any yard sale stories to tell?

Not quite as dramatic as those, but somewhat similar. Good finds, Murray.

It was probably 15 years ago and we were attending a summer fireman's carnival not too far from home. On the grounds of that carnival, there's a little building which was full of yard sale-type stuff: old books, knick-knacks, old cameras and equipment, and old clothing.

On the floor I spotted about three boxes full of record albums, so while my wife browsed the other stuff, I leaved through the records. What I found was stone mint copies of virtually every Tijuana Brass album from LONELY BULL up through BEAT OF THE BRASS, each priced at 99 cents. So I went for all of them, just as a way of freshening up my catalog.

I'd been making car tapes on cassette and wanted better copies of these old TjB albums to use as a source, since not all of the material had come out on CD. So for albums like SOUNDS LIKE, NINTH and WARM, these worked perfectly. I grabbed the others just to have better copies on LP.

This is where I found my "hybrid" copy of WHAT NOW MY LOVE, where side one plays as I remember it (the echoey version with no bump'n'grind "Plucky"), but side two has the missing trombone version of "Brasilia". Until this site came along, I thought I was losing it with THAT track!

Harry

4haverstocks said:
What's the "missing trombone version of Brasilia"?

Dan

The one that you'll find on every CD version.

The original LP of the WHAT NOW MY LOVE album that I grew up with was a different mix than what's ended up on CD.

Search our old threads, I'm sure you'll find a few discussions about it.

Harry

Murray said:
Does anyone else have any yard sale stories to tell?

How 'bout a PANASONIC Stereo (Cassette, Phono w/ 4-Speed Automatic Changer, AM/FM/FM Stereo Tuner, Slide-Bars for Volume, Bass, Treble, Balance, 2 Speakers) bought for just $15 in 1986!!! :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom