Yo La Tengo "Pais Tropical" rip off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny

I heard a song by a band called Yo La Tengo on a college radio station last week. The song is called "Mr. Tough" and is off their new record. Anyway, it sounds REALLY close to Pais Tropical. It has the same piano style and then the horns kick in half way through just like on Pais Tropical. I emailed the band to ask if it was an homage to the Brasil 77 song assuming they would say it was. Instead, they wrote back and said they never heard it. I find that hard to believe. My friend heard it and said thinks they could get sued because its so close. I'm curious if anybody else has heard it and thinks it sounds as close to Pais Tropical as I do.

I listened to the sound sample. While the song IS piano based, the similarity ends there for me. The chord progression is totally different, and the melody starts with the same first three notes but other than that is completely different.

Besides, their song is from an album called "I am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass" so I wouldn't mess with them! :wink:

The Amazon.com sample ends before the horns kick in. If you hear that, you may change your mind.

The opening piano riff of "Pais Tropical" is one of the most frequently used "tropes" in popular music:

I I7 (6/3 inversion) IV V

Just for a quick f'rinstance, the 40s hit "Tuxedo Junction" uses the same progression. You'd be suing a *lot* of people if you went after this particular riff. :D

Yo La Tengo are very respected in indie rock circles. I doubt very much they would rip off Sergio Mendes and not own up to it.

I don't know Yo La Tengo personally, but I respect the band for many years now.

But our trumpet player could kick their trumpet player's ass! We've found a genius horn blower.

-Jet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom