YOM Book, edited by Randy Schmidt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno

Yesterday, I received my copy of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE - MEMORIES OF THE CARPENTERS AND THEIR MUSIC, edited by Randy Schmidt.

This book is fascinating to read, and I just want to say:

Thank you, Randy! :)

Bruno

I don't have this book yet, but maybe one day I'll pick it up. What did you like about it Bruno? Does it have any different pics inside? What caught your hears, if I may ask you?

I do have the ray coleman book & I did enjoy reading that.

I have always heard good things about this book. But as it goes for me, I just want to hear Karen, in anything. Any analysis will not bring her back, but thank God for efforts of those who try to allow us to re-live the days that we were not around to discover the road traveled as it happened for those fans of Karen's God-sent voice.

Craig

Randy Schmidt Collated and Edited Numerous Carpenters Published Material and to bring everything up to date , Later Richard Interviews , Reviews and Articles to cover Period 1970 > 1998 for Fans Unable to have Collected / Seen Original Work.

Randy's Book Acts Both as an Overview of Carpenters / Solo Careers and includes many Carpenters Interviews with their Personal Comments
and Views on Albums , Singles , Image, Concerts, TV Specials etc :)

Fascinating to Glimpse Snapshots of Various Years , Pressures , Highs and Lows through Reviewers , Critics , Supporters and Richard / Karen themselves :o

For Those Still to Obtain YOM , Highly Recommended for Both Carpenters Fans and Others Interested in 1970's and Music Industry :)

Peter...Happy Thoughts About Randy's Downey Library Meeting .....

I'd like to get a copy of Coleman's book, Chris, but it seems to be impossible here in Germany. :sad:

Peter has described Randy's book YOM very good: It's a compilation of various articles about Carpenters and interviews with Richard and Karen over the years. :)

As I had never read those articles or interviews before, this book is a treasure for me.

Bruno

reading Carpenters for a change

Bruno, does Amazon in Germany sell used books? I know the Ray Coleman book is out of print, but I've had very good luck buying used needlework books from them here in the states and they have really been in excellent condition. And they were shipped to me expeditiously, too! Maybe you could try this out.

I agree that Randy's compilation is excellent. He does have more material than would fit in one volume, so maybe some day he'll put together another collection of great articles.

Marilyn

Yeah, Bruno...try the used area too. I found mine (hardback 1st edition)in the discounted area of Barnes & Noble for only 5 or 6 dollars. I was so happy. I've read it a couple times.

Craig, I totally agree, I am facinated to read about anything Karen. What I liked so much was how it took you month to month & toward the end of Karen's life, really let us know what was going on.

For a fan like me, it was interesting to read cause I never got to see them in concert and I was never apart of the Carpenters Fan Club so I never really knew about there lives, all I ever had was just the music CD's.

The most interesting part in the Coleman book for me was learning how Karen re-acted to playing the Solo Sessions Project to A & M & to Richard. The book really put the emphasis on that Karen was really proud of that work she did up to the day before she passed away. I think she was hoping for a somewhat different reaction than what she got.

Thank you for your suggestion, Marylin! :)

I've just pre-ordered the Coleman book at amazon.de. They don't have it at the moment, but as soon as somebody wants to sell it, it's mine.

Bruno

enjoying the sunny spring in Bonn

Bruno and all:

Thanks for the nice comments about the book I compiled. It was a real dream seeing it come to life. I tried to create a book that I as a fan would want to have. Although there has already been two printings of the book, I hope in a future edition we can include the huge cover story from ROLLING STONE magazine -- "Up From Downey" -- we held up publication on the book for a while, trying to obtain permission for this piece by Tom Nolan, but we would have had to wait a lot longer. It is such a great look at them and their true feelings... I wish we had waited. Aside from that, I am really pleased with the finished product and hope those of you who do not already have a copy will get one. If you need more info, visit my site at www.yesterdayoncemore.net.

The Downey Library meeting, mentioned by Peter, was a really fun event. The library hosted a dicussion followed by book signing in one of their meeting rooms while I was in the Los Angeles are in January 2001. I wish we could do another some day!

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom