Your A&Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Is it collecting everything A&M that you still don't have? Rare LP's, 45's CD's or other collectible memorabilia?

Meeting whatever A&M artists are still around before they go to that A&M Lot in the sky?

Or trying to master the instrumental technique of playing those classics?

Is it near completion, or do you still ask yourself: "Am I there, yet?"

For me, it is still learning the lyrics of those unique A&M artists' songs, though probably not having the best voice to sing 'em...

-- Dave

It used to be "to have all the TJB and Sergio Mendes and Brasil 'xx records on CD" but that's been accomplished (thanks to my home-made copy of Summertime.) That said, if the whole TJB catalog comes out again next summer as Randy A. has indicated it's going to, in new remasters, I'm highly likely to buy it again (but only hard copies, not downloads).

It's a standoff: I won't buy any TJB remasters until @badazz re-releases the Randyandy album... :laugh: (Old running joke. :D )

I mainly buy high-resolution downloads these days, but you know, it's a golden opportunity to have Amazon sell any and all of the titles on CD as "on demand" titles. No inventory to manage, and those who want a hard copy will then have one. I'd gladly buy these as digital downloads even at CD resolution, as long as they're lossless. For me, a CD these days is only an inconvenience. I have three full racks of CDs I never even play anymore since ripping them all to a music server, and to a separate backup.

As for the vinyl, good luck finding clean copies that aren't groove-worn and full of dirt. Most of the TJB and Baja vinyl out there now is garbage. It's a sad state that when we started this site almost 20 years ago, these were plentiful. Anything I see now is thrift-shop quality. I've passed on every copy I've looked at in the past several years. Either that or I see online sellers wanting some astronomical sum for (allegedly) clean or sealed copies. The disadvantage is that the Detroit area is one of the worst for used vinyl stores. I haven't been at all pleased with most of my used record purchases locally.

As for the rest of A&M stuff, there are only a few things I need and I'm pretty much done. I listen to too much other music to fixate on one single label.

I have always wanted to find the Cheryl Dilcher song "High," but that's probably too much to hope for and it's not a huge deal for me anyway. I used to have it on the LP but I think I gave that up in a grab bag or something.

My mission is to own a hard copy of everything ever recorded by the Tijuana Brass and the Baja Marimba Band.

Charles
I long ago accomplished that along with Sergio Mendes and and all the other A&M artists that i sought for but now there are just a very few A&M s im looking for along with The forthcoming Alpert Cd Remasters ( only 9 of them in the current batch that i dont have true digital cd versions of yet) other than that its pretty much complete

My mission is to complete my growing collection of Baja Marimba Band records and find a copy of "Man, That's Coffee". I'd also like some great press photos for my living room walls--autographed if possible. Then I'd like to meet a surviving member of the band (yeah...right) to say THANK YOU and share info. Since I've only been a serious fan for two years...I've got tons of questions!

My mission is to complete my growing collection of Baja Marimba Band records and find a copy of "Man, That's Coffee". I'd also like some great press photos for my living room walls--autographed if possible. Then I'd like to meet a surviving member of the band (yeah...right) to say THANK YOU and share info. Since I've only been a serious fan for two years...I've got tons of questions!
I Don't Blame you on all counts and i wish you the very best in completing your BMB collection it took me over 25 years to get all the albums and i started with the Greatest hits lp in 1979 which was the only BMB album in print at that time. And i was just 12 at the time and considered a musical dinosaur by everyone.( well they missed out.)

I Don't Blame you on all counts and i wish you the very best in completing your BMB collection it took me over 25 years to get all the albums and i started with the Greatest hits lp in 1979 which was the only BMB album in print at that time. And i was just 12 at the time and considered a musical dinosaur by everyone.( well they missed out.)
Thank you, Bobberman! You have my respect--I cringe at the thought of my collection taking 25 years to complete! Thankfully, we have eBay (and I have a big sister who loves shopping) so after only two years I have nearly all the LP's. But wait! Now I need ALL the 45's! Shop, shop, shop! I also cannot agree more about others "missing out"; my rock 'n' roll friends ask me things like "So what's this group you're so crazy about...Boo-Hoo Marimba?" They just aren't "with it"!
Diane

Thank you, Bobberman! You have my respect--I cringe at the thought of my collection taking 25 years to complete! Thankfully, we have eBay (and I have a big sister who loves shopping) so after only two years I have nearly all the LP's. But wait! Now I need ALL the 45's! Shop, shop, shop! I also cannot agree more about others "missing out"; my rock 'n' roll friends ask me things like "So what's this group you're so crazy about...Boo-Hoo Marimba?" They just aren't "with it"!
Diane
Very true Diane.it seems that Just because its different to them they just cant accept it. The entrenched Rock crowd claim to be open minded but when you mention BMB or Herb Alpert their expressions seem to contradict their claims. But Hey " MORE FOR US"!

I find it odd that people dislike BMB or Herb. The first sounds in music that I became really aware of as a kid were the Beatles and Herb. Then I branched out in several directions - rock and jazz. I was probably the only kid in the elementary school that listened to the local jazz station after school - WNOP - they were a daylight hours station, so after they went off the air I switched to rock - WSAI.

I really would love to have Herb's complete catalog. I'm leaning toward buying all the hi-res files.

I want the reel-to-reel tapes A&M/Magtec issued (on the black and then grey reels) at 7 1/2ips, of: Boyce & Hart's TEST PATTERNS, Emitt Rhodes' MERRY-GO-ROUND, and Cat Stevens' TEASER AND THE FIRECAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom