your CarpenterS holy grail collectible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

I'm interested in knowing what your CarpenterS crown jewel is and why? Not from a monetary standpoint cuz it could be something as simple as THE ticket stub to K&R '72 I dunno. But what stands out to ya? Feel free to list on and on.
I have to say the autograph from meeting the duo takes me back to a date, time, place like an anchor. The old Downey Fan Club newsletters were good for that monthly rush and feeling of exclusivity. The Fan Club collectibles are fun but I am partial to the ever-hip and stylin' CarpenterS brass belt buckle. It's actually way cooler than it sounds and heavy too!
By the order of holy grails tho...I give Karen's Grammy the tip-top nod. Oh baby how I'd love one of those!

Jeff

Only recently did I finally acquire the (1975?) Brass Belt Buckle....I love it!
I think I shed some tears when I read that Final Fan Club Newsletter, the day it arrived. Some Sadness.
I must say, I was admiring the Karen Carpenter Solo Poster just this morning, thinking
about Karen's psyche at the time, and how thrilled she appeared for those solo promo pictures.
Ultimately, the Song For You Heart-shaped Promo Balloon is my pride and joy.
It "says" it all: Carpenters, A Song For You.

I recently acquired the 74 Japan Tour Program and the U.S. Horizon Tour Program and those are filled with wonderful photos. I'd have to say that my ultimate collectibles would be my "Voice of the Heart" promotional poster that is mint and "Karen's solo poster" also mint framed and in my gallery. I'd also have to add my Universal 35th Anniversary Gold limited edition #9 of 100 signed by the man himself, Richard Carpenter with Gold discs to boot. Then there is my "Little Girl Blue" promotional poster framed and in museum glass. I begged for that one. :wink: Then I have some Karen solo prints from her photo shoot. Of course all my LP's, 45's, collection of the mono 45 singles and all my box sets from Japan. I wrote Richard back in early 90 and I still have Evelyn's reply on Carpenters embossed stationary, even the outside envelope is embossed with Carpenters (what a treasure to hold).
I feel very lucky!!!

You guys have me beat, but for me it's my signed "A Song For You" song book. Thanks Richard!

Picture096a.jpg

OK, here's where I have to jump in. As I was reminiscing with djn in his tribute to Only Yesterday on another thread I was thinking about my newest KC collectible and ran across this thread. Here's how the story goes . . . in our local newspaper, there is a monthly feature that focuses in on an interesting collection from someone in our town. Well . . my Carpenter's collection was featured a few months ago. I am rather anal about my collection trying to get everything I can. I have most all of the records (33's and 45's), I have their releases on cassette, 8 trac, reel to reel, I even have player peano rolls. I have most of the anthologies, the Japanese Singles set, song books, sheet music, I even have a script binder from their Christmas Special signed by Gene Kelly and Georgia Engel. I have Karen's autograph on the tan album which I purchased for 6.95 on eBay. I also have a complete set of unopened 33's and a whole lot more . . .you get my point. Well . . . last week my office staff surprised me with the ultimate piece of Karen memorobilia. It seems that a reader of the article remembered that she had a piece of Karen and brought it to the office for the staff to give to me. It was a 1967 Volsung (Downey High School,) yearbook that was autographed by Karen. It seems that my benefactor was a good friend of hers and saw fit to add this yearbook to the collection of someone who would truly treasure it. I am still looking for the Karen bobblehead though.

I have quite a few rare collectibles, and many pieces signed by Richard. Probably the most valued is a letter he sent me on Carpenters letterhead commending my work as producer on an album I'd produced for a musical group, signed only his first name. Wasn't expecting that at the time, even though we'd already been acquainted for some time. Definitely something I treasure...

I have been collecting Carpenters CDs worldwide for decades (and now totals over 1,000). The one CD I value the most is shown on my avatar, a CD issued by A&M entitled Karen in My Memories (DCI-3068) and is now almost impossible to find.

My most treasured Carpenters Holy Grail is the Quadraphonic Japan LP release of "Singles 1969-73." It is in the superior CD-4 quad format while the US version (which I also have) is in the inferior SQ format. I have posted several of those quad mixes on my YouTube (see link below). The other holy grail for me would be the Japanese Quadraphonic pressing of "Now & Then."

https://www.youtube.com/user/themotownboy1/videos

I've got a sealed copy of the 'Offering' 4-track tape (which predates the 8-track). I know somebody who found EIGHTEEN sealed 4-track copies at a record store across the street from A&M around 1979. Talk about lucky. He was nice enough to send me one of them.

I have been collecting Carpenters CDs worldwide for decades (and now totals over 1,000). The one CD I value the most is shown on my avatar, a CD issued by A&M entitled Karen in My Memories (DCI-3068) and is now almost impossible to find.
Same here and trying to find one of those is like striking gold. No remixes, just special. And that's what being a collectors all about. We are all different in our own way

It was a 1967 Volsung (Downey High School,) yearbook that was autographed by Karen.

That is an amazingly awesome story! What a cool and unique piece to own.

Just curious, was the yearbook autographed by Karen to her friend when they were both still students? I think a "pre-fame" autograph of Karen would be even more special (and rare!).

Hmm - I'd have to think a while on this one... But - I'd begin with my concert ticket-stub from November 17th, 1973. 3rd Row, center. Fabulous seats! Immeasurable experience.

Of course, some of the originally purchased albums, usually bought on the day of the release. And very well worn, I'd add....

I do cherish those newsletters from the Fan Club... I kept all the personal notes from Ev and Rosina as well.... Lots of TV Guide clippings... I even used to keep some of those album cover shots from the TV Guide ads for album collections... It always was cool to see one of their albums in those things...

I have numerous Billboard magazines when the albums and singles were released. Loved those old trade ads that ran with new releases. I also have a collection of local "surveys" from the pop radio station that I began collecting, centering on my love of watching Carpenter records climb the charts. I have several years of those weekly surveys that represent a huge segment of my youth. You folks around my age may remember that the local stations had those top 30 or 40 rankings at every Kmart or local record store on a weekly basis.

Two favorites are a photograph of Karen autographed and given to me by Agnes on an evening when I worked up the nerve to knock on the Newville house door... (don't ask how!) - and an autographed photograph of Richard and me - when I was fortunate enough to meet him at a songwriters festival, (Tin Pan South), here in Nashville, in the late 90's.

Much has been said about Agnes through the years - but my experience in 1990, was that of meeting a lovely older lady who welcomed a stranger into her home, showed me the foyer and the sunken living room, and took the time to pull a photograph from the office... seeming flattered that I asked her to sign it! She was polite, very sweet, and quite complementary of both R and K - and appreciative that I took the time to knock on the door... Likewise, Richard was very cordial when I met him. The encounter was brief, a bit awkward really... (what do you say to an all-time idol when you finally meet him!), but I was even more elated when later, I had sent a copy of our photograph to the old fan club address - and sure enough - some weeks later, it back in the mail, autographed and dated. Blurry picture - and I am about 10 lbs. too heavy - but I do love that I have it.

The "items" I have might be edged out by a few really terrific memories: The thrill of being "this close" to the duo at the very height of their popularity - as they were ushered hurriedly into their limousine the night of that November concert. Somehow, (again, not sure how!) I managed to wriggle my way through the crowds to get a front row image of Karen and Richard... I remember her hair being so smooth and silky looking... (Isn't that funny... recalling her hair?) She had changed into a brown pant suit - and Richard had a burgundy sport coat on... My heart was pounding. But how sad I was when that evening came to a close. In retrospect, it's almost as if this young mind had a sixth sense that I'd never see them perform again...
And the memory - the very vivid memory of awaiting and then hearing a new release for the very first time. The first time hearing 'After long enough of being alone...' or 'When I was young I'd listen to the radio...' Or... 'Frosted Window Panes...' That is and will remain a magic that I will never - ever forget.

So - there you have it.... My favorite holy grail may very well be a pocket full of memories...

If I could have something of theirs??? Probably a pair of Karen's drum sticks. I know she was a drummer who sang... and I took up the drums, because of her... I always appreciated that true raw and driving passion she had when she played. Like her voice, that is a born gift - and I would love to have a pair of sticks she may have used along the way - as a true representation of my admiration of Karen - Richard - and the whole band.

Neat topic...

zoweeeeeee Barry, that was a heartwarming thrill ride down memory lane. I thought I was alone regarding the TV Guide clippings including record club ads for lp, 8 tracks and cassettes. If it said CarpenterS it was scrapbooked. Lunacy, devotion, boredom, orgasm in retrospect I'm clueless although all of the above figured into the tween mania.
Explaining why these trinketty things are still well preserved in storage...uh, I'm going with idolatry/ lunacy. WTH.

Jeff

Jeff, I have a scrapbook I put together, featuring the aforementioned duplicate Only Yesterday cover, with all the newsletters... and a second one - entitles, Keepsakes... with all the "extra's"...
I'll second that WTH!!!! :wink:

I collected those Columbia House ads, too! Anything that featured K&R....anything....still resides in my apartment. :) I think I'll need two caskets when I pass on....

Richard was performing at the Ryman in Nashville for a songwriter's event. After the show, I went down to the stage with my picture sleeve of Goodbye to Love and he signed it along with some cordial words. As I was leaving the auditorium and walking down the street, I looked in front of me and there was John Bettis. I talked to him and he also signed graciously. John seemed excited to be recognized and noted Crystal Lullaby on the flip side was a song he thought fans would not remember. I assured him they do. Having both signatures on this 45 sleeve is my favorite item. As a side note, Richard performed For All We Know with James Griffin of Bread singing the lyrics he co-wrote and Joe Osborn was playing bass to Richard's piano....what a moment!

Richard was performing at the Ryman in Nashville for a songwriter's event. After the show, I went down to the stage with my picture sleeve of Goodbye to Love and he signed it along with some cordial words. As I was leaving the auditorium and walking down the street, I looked in front of me and there was John Bettis. I talked to him and he also signed graciously. John seemed excited to be recognized and noted Crystal Lullaby on the flip side was a song he thought fans would not remember. I assured him they do. Having both signatures on this 45 sleeve is my favorite item. As a side note, Richard performed For All We Know with James Griffin of Bread singing the lyrics he co-wrote and Joe Osborn was playing bass to Richard's piano....what a moment!
That was the same event I was at when I met Richard!!!!! Wow! Small world.... Tin Pan South - 1999. Charlie Cox was also there. Great night indeed.
1999.jpg
Do you still live in Nashville?

The only thing I have that's really collectible is a CD signed by Richard.

What I really want would be a collection of sealed, mint vinyl from the early days, hopefully all original pressings. Sadly, most vinyl I find is worn or too beat up. Near mint vinyl that plays like new would be welcome also. Just need to find a source. Or hope that Universal one day can release the original album versions on 180g vinyl without screwing them up (like two recent releases of theirs).

Somewhat related, Rudy. Just read some label (Universal?) is rereleasing Donna Summer's "Another Time, Another Place" with extra material, remixes and additionally recorded material never before released. (It's my favorite album of hers. The others are hit and miss.) Perhaps if it sells well, it will start a trend of old 70s/80s superstars doing the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom