• The Brass Are Comin'

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • What Now My Love

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
big noise from chicago said:
MY FAVORITE BRASS SONG (AT LEAST FOR TODAY) IS "WADE IN THE WATER", AND OF COURSE, NOBODY BOUGHT THAT!

Well, *somebody* bought it. It made the top 40 in the charts (number 37) and was on the charts for 5 weeks. I'm rather partial to that record as well.

Oh, and while we love your handle there, bignoise, we'd appreciate it if you'd remember to not post in all caps. In Internet ettiquette, it's considered the equivalent of shouting.

Welcome aboard!

Harry
...digesting dinner, online...

I know this was an old post but I just read it ...I agree with Dan Bolton as to the band putting their whole heart into making this album & for this reason it will always be my favorite. Also when it came out I had just found out the tjb was disbanding :cry: with a heavy heart I will always keep that album as # 1 with me ...close second "sounds like "& "beat of the brass "
Marty Covais

For me, the middle albums were definitely the best BRASS years. "Sounds Like...,Herb Alpert's Ninth, The Beat Of The Brass, Christmas Album"...a string of four LPs that wore out a lot of record needles around my house.

Like earlier stated, the band just seemed to hit a sweet spot about this time and it seemed like every cut on each of these albums had a personality of its' own.

While I'd pick Beat of the Brass as the my slight favorite here, I'm surprised how the Christmas Album hasn't gotten any votes yet. Christmas LPs are always an old rehash of songs you only sing at Christmas time...DULL & BORING. But Herb & the TJB's Christmas offering provides fresh arrangements on familiar tunes giving us a Holiday album that will be fun & festive to listen to in 2068!

pastorboller said:
While I'd pick Beat of the Brass as the my slight favorite here, I'm surprised how the Christmas Album hasn't gotten any votes yet.

Without a doubt, it's probably one of our favorite Christmas albums of all time! But it could be a little unfair to stack it in the poll with the rest of the TJB albums...since it usually gets seasonal play, and quite heavily at that. (It's not Xmas around here w/o the TJB! I even prefer to get out the old vinyl copy for old times' sake!)

-= N =-

I will have to say, after much deliberation, that WHAT NOW MY LOVE is my favorite with SOUTH OF THE BORDER a close second. I would have voted for WNML but it is not listed. There is not a single song on WNML that I do not enjoy.

I don't believe it--I forgot to list What Now My Love!!! :oops:

Fixed it, Larry--go ahead and place that vote! :D

-= N =-
...who fixes polls, but not dangling chads...

This was so difficult, I broke out all of my LPs and finally got it down to three
but even then I kept going back to others. I think that's why I like "Best Of"
because it has some of my favorites from different albums. I voted for the
one with the catchiest tunes and certainly the most well known cover photo,
Whipped Cream.

Thanks Neil, I appreciate that you added it.
GOING PLACES would be my 3rd place pick followed by SRO, SOUNDS LIKE, HERB'S NINTH, WARM, SUMMERTIME, BOTB, THE BRASS ARE COMIN'.

Larry

Well, might as well throw my two cents in. I voted for "South of the Border." It's the first TJB album I really got into when I was a kid, and after I got the CD, which sounds incredible, I loved it even more. Something was done to the mix for the CD--the drums, which really rock on the title cut, are much more prominent, and the whole thing sounds less distant (if that makes any sense) than my stereo LP. Great songs, imaginatively arranged. It's a knockout from start to finish. Favorites: title cut, "Up Cherry Street" and "Salud, Amor Y Dinero."

"SRO" was the possible other choice, and would probably be tops if they cleaned up the tapes and put it out on CD. I never get tired of this LP, and the 1-2-3 punch of "Blue Sunday," "Don't Go Breaking" and "For Carlos" on side two is album sequencing at its best.

It is soooo frustrating that all the Sergio LPs are out on CD, yet we can't get most of the TJB in that format at all. Yeesh!

Tom

I didn't vote because there are two that stand out in my mind-"The Beat of The Brass" and "Bullish". On the first, I really enjoy the opener, 'Monday, Monday'. It has that Mexican feel that only Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass can create. I haven't heard this album in its entirety for a while, but I can say that the other track that definitely stands out is, 'This Guy's In Love With You', I maybe, because it's the first time we heard Herb Alpert sing. I don't think he's the greatest vocalist, but obviously, back in 1968, something in this track made it the #1 single of the year. I pick "Bullish" for the following cuts: the title track, 'Struttin' On Five', and 'Life Is My Song'. I will agree, it's not the original TJB (which I didn't even know until I read about the record), but it is a good album overall. When I hear the opening notes of the title track, I think of what the promotional tour for this album must have been like. I was just a toddler then. However, I do imagine the original TJB when I hear this record, I know that some of them were on the tour. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom