Your Herb Reissue Pecking Order

Amazon is pretty reliable when it comes to new CDs and other issues. With brick and mortar stores disappearing in my town and the remaining retailers unreliable amazon is the way to go in my opinion

Except that Amazon has let me down this time. I pre-ordered these way back in August. They split mine into two unequal shipments, one with about five discs, and the other with the rest. The big bunch has somehow gotten stuck going in or out of Jacksonville, FL. The last update I had was that after sitting Friday night in Jacksonville, it left on Saturday morning at 5:43. Since then, no updates, and the delivery estimate is now Monday.

I'm just hoping that the package won't have tread marks on it...

Here in Japan the CDs are priced at $21 on Amazon.jp, so I went with Amazon in the US. Even with international shipping it saves me about $40 overall if I lump the 7 titles I ordered all together. Pre-Ordered back on August 2nd, but nothing shipped yet. Checked and 2 of the CDs say "out of stock and shipping in 1 to 2 months"!! What gives Amazon? I will wait till November if I have to, but not happy about that. Not after dreaming all these years of CD versions.

Right, I have a bone to pick with you all, on this thread and other similar threads on this forum site!!

There I was, minding my own business, and not having frquented this site in a while, I thought I would take a peek to see what was happening. Well!!! All this talk of Herb Alpert CD reissues!! Before I knew it my laptop mouse had leapt in to action, all by itself, manipulating my fingers, and I suddenly found myself on the Amazon.co.uk site, clicking away. Now, thanks to you folks and your chit-chat, I have 5 new CDs on the way to my home address. Jeez!

What am I going to say to my wife when these new CDs show up in the mail? She is going to give me a seriously severe talking to ..... and probably insist that I get rid of other CDs in my collection to make room for these new ones. My life is going to be hell! How do I convince her that the purchases were not my fault? It had to be malware on this site that forced my mouse to click away and make those purchases, surely, but how do I explain that to her?

I need an explantion for the wife. And an apology from you folks for even daring to mention new CD issues. For forcing my mouse in to doing that online purchasing. The web just ain't safe these days. Pah! Come on people, you started this malicious 'thing', whatever it is, and now I am going to be in big trouble. I need help! Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :violin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS: I shall be very disappointed if, after listening to those new CDs, that my mouse forces my fingers back to Amazon to purchase more. Truly. Really disappointed. How do I protect myself from the dangers of the world wide web? It's a disgrace! :wave::wiggle::waveleft:

Simple: use tracking information to determine what day your shipment will arrive. Then arrange for the wife to be out shopping at the time your post is usually delivered that day. These CD packages aren't all that fat on a shelf, and one Herb Alpert CD looks like another. She'll never know the difference!

Now, you'll have to either exercise restraint on future purchases - or rinse and repeat! :D

Yes, I take your point, Harry, but if the wife is "... to be out shopping ..." that is less money for me to be spending on ....... (ahem) ...... further Herb CDs. Isn't it? Surely? But then ..... if she is out, shopping or otherwise, I won't be a dead man when the CDs arrive. Yes, thats it ..... good idea, Harry!

"Oh, Honey ...... do you fancy going out and and doing some shopping later in the week? Here, take the credit card, spoil yourself, have a great time! Me .... come along? No ...... I think I'll just stay in ..... and wash my hair or something."

Or you could just ask your friend to help and ship your order to HIS house.

In all seriousness, I know someone who did this.

(Okay, it was me.)

One note: in the Rise reissue, on the track "Love Is", the composers are only noted by last names (whereas on all others full names are there). Not sure why that is. I assume Withers means Bill Withers (from what I see on a quick web search). Can somebody tell me who Smith is? ( like to have the composer info on my rips.
That Bill Withers track appears on his album 'Bout Love. Very similar arrangement.
Have NOT seen the new CDs at any of the WalMarts and Targets I visited; only the one Barnes and Nobles in Union, NJ had the ones I mentioned above; and only a few Barnes and Nobles carry CDs anymore anyway (from what I have experienced.). BTW, Best Buy in Bridegewater, NJ did not have any Herb CDs either. Glad I Amazoned; getting them Thursday, September 15.
Given how these stores stock and sell items, if it's not going to be a chart topper, I highly doubt I'd see them there. Best Buy is terrible compared to how they used to stock music in the past. Unless we get lucky at a B&N or know of independent retailers that stock a lot of CDs, I probalby wouldn't expect them much of anywhere else. Big box stores (especially in this area), likely not. Except maybe a copy of Whipped Cream or Definitive Hits.

B&N carried the other HAP titles on vinyl, so I suspect they might have the latest ones as well.

It's like I've said before--buy these now. Some of the lesser selling titles might only be available in limited numbers. With the world already moving to downloads, I doubt there will ever be any further CD releases.

You won't find these CDs in Target, Wal-Mart or Best Buy - they really don't deal in back catalogue anymore. Save your gas!

I just came back from my local Barnes & Noble and they had all of the LPs and most of the CDs. I also went to a local record store called Waterloo Records and they had a display up for the CDs, and most of them were still in stock. They even have some of the imports. It's like the last record store standing, but their inventory is amazing.

Waterloo Records - AdvancedSearch »

Dearborn Music in the Detroit area likely has some of these in stock (both vinyl and CD). They're too far away for me to just drop in and see what is on the shelf, especially since it is a store I don't care to shop at.

Fortunately I've been on vacation for a couple of weeks and had the time to go into downtown Austin (which I pretty much dread anymore). Waterloo has a huge following by the college kids, many of whom are into vinyl. I've never seen the store not busy.

Ann Arbor (another college town) has a few stores but most (if not all?) are selling used vinyl. Encore is about the only one that has a huge stock of used CDs anymore; they do not sell any new releases though. I haven't bought a CD locally in so long that I really have no idea who carries them anymore. Usually what I want is more unusual or obscure, and it's so much easier to check Amazon, eBay or Discogs rather than spend years trying to find it in a brick and mortar store.

FWIW, I have the four vinyl titles I don't yet have coming my way within a week. With Bernie's touch, I'm expecting some good things coming my way. :)

Oh yeah. It had been promised for release-day Friday but it arrived Monday. The first bunch of 5 or so were packed in a bubble envelope that was folded to fit in my mailbox. Only one cover was a little crunched near the spine. The second - and larger package - came in a box with the big fat bubble plastic all around it.

Didn't you see my disc spines all lined up?

Stacked on Shelf Sm.jpg

Oh sure, NOW I remember....too many threads going on at the same time I guess - which is a good thing around here!

First off, I will be picking up "Summertime" & then Herb's latest CD "Human Nature" on Friday. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Pecking order achieved!

hap-1st-batch.jpg

Well... at least the first batch. :wink:

I can show my receipts for HDTracks and Acoustic Sounds.... :shrug:

:laugh:

Or, I've got this (the four recent vinyl reissues...although Whipped Cream and Xmas are there in spirit :wink: ):

upload_2016-10-18_20-31-3.png

And the inevitable "action shot":

upload_2016-10-18_20-32-53.png

(All the more reason to follow us on Instagram... :D )

Back
Top Bottom