1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

Your Herb Reissue Pecking Order

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by Captain Bacardi, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Mike Blakesley

Mike Blakesley Well-Known Member Moderator

Yep, I've read that in several places. Originally it was meant to be 120bpm, but Herb slowed it down to about 100. I've thought about revving it up to 120 with software but haven't ever gotten around to it.

2. I didn't get rid of the whole album. I still enjoy several tracks from it, most notably "Jump Street", "It's The Last Dance", "City Terrace" and "Where's Tommy?" I actually preferred the SECOND WIND version of "Can't Stop Thinking About You", but the NORTH ON SOUTH ST version is still listenable.
    I just can't get into the "North on South St." track itself. It's off-the-wall weird, with no melody to speak of, and just goes nowhere. I hate to be critical of my favorite recording artist of all time, but that track is by far the worst recording Herb Alpert ever released. Sorry. And on that note, I'll let it go.

Bobberman likes this.
  3. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I still have my Cd Of North on south street and i thought it was a bit unusual at first but there are a few standouts such as "City Terrace"and " I cant Stop Thinking About You" among others. And i also Like the second wind version of the latter track equally as well. So Everyone Has Their tastes and personal preferences " No Harm No Foul".

toeknee4bz likes this.
  4. If you believe the Wikipedia entry, it was the drummer, Steve Schaefer, who strongly suggested that Herb and Randy try slowing the tempo down to 100bpm.

5. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    I wouldn't trust Wikipedia...that paragraph doesn't even have a source. (It should be flagged, actually, for being unsourced information.)

IMHO, Wikipedia is total crap...

Bobberman likes this.
  6. Bobberman

I say a Big "Amen To That"!

7. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator Thread Starter

No kidding! On the BBC documentary Randy himself said that Herb had the idea to slow it down. I've also read that bassist Abe Laboriel said they rehearsed several tempos before deciding on the definitive one.

And, of course, the clubs in England played "Rise" at 45 rpm, since the 12" singles there were all at 45 rpm. I tried that myself but it didn't sound that good.

8. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    "Rise" at 45 is Herb on Helium. :D

Bobberman likes this.
  9. And it's a total pain in the butt to work with. Not worth the hassle.

Bobberman likes this.
  10. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Well-Known Member Moderator Thread Starter

I just noticed they didn't even spell Steve Schaeffer's name right. :laugh:

Bobberman likes this.
  11. Bobberman

That's not the only thing that's Wrong With Wikipedia. I agree with Rudy and Toeknee4bz its a dysfunctional and very inaccurate site putting it mildly.