🎷 AotW: Horizon Richard Evans - RICHARD EVANS (SP-735)

Horizon label releases.

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 33.3%

• * (Worst)

• Never Heard This Album

• Total voters

Captain Bacardi

Richard Evans
RICHARD EVANS

A&M/Horizon SP-735

sp735.jpg

Released 1979

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette

Produced by Richard Evans

Songs:
  • 1. Capricorn Rising (Linda Williams) - 4:41
    2. Funky Day (A. Sanderson/K. Echols/R. Evans) - 4:32
    3. Do-Re-Me-For-Soul (R. Evans/K. Echols/A. Sanderson) - 5:56
    4. Windy City (R. Evans/D. Miller) - 4:07
    5. Educated Funk (Richard Evans) - 5:28
    6. Feel The Fire (Peabo Bryson) - 5:14
    7. Burning Spear (Richard Evans) - 5:53
    8. Round Midnight (B. Hanighen/C. Williams/T. Monk) - 6:12

Arranged by Richard Evans

Rhythm Arrangements for "Capricorn Rising" by Linda Williams and for "Windy City" by Denzil "Broadway" Miller

Musicians:
Denzil "Broadway" Miller - Electric Piano and Clavinet
Linda Williams - Acoustic Piano, Vocals
Terry Fryer - Synthesizers
Ross Traut - Guitar
Danny Leake - Guitar
Larry Ball - Bass
Morris Jennings - Percussion
Derf Reklaw - Percussion
Randall Cooper - Percussion
Eddie Harris - Tenor Sax (3, 6)
Kenny Mann - Tenor Sax (4, 7)
Tower of Power Horn Section (5) (Greg Adams - Trumpet; Emilio Castillo - Tenor Saxophone; Mic Gillette - Trumpet; Steve Kupka - Baritone Saxophone; Lenny Pickett - Tenor Saxophone)
Vocalists: Charles Christianson, "Cinnamon", Joanna Brown-El, Francine Smith, Bernadene Davis, Chuck Colbert, Billy Durham, Starleet El, Jan Jarvis, Myran Parker, Charles Rhodes, "Spices", Coleete Skinner, Lillian "Tang" Tynes, Cynthia White, Vince Willis
Murray Watson - Horns Contractor
Trumpets: Murray Watson, Kenneth Brass, Art Hoyle, Robert Lewis
Trombones: John Avant, Morris Ellis, Ralph Craig
Saxophones: William Adkins, Steele Seals, Earl Freeman, Kenny Soderblum, Eugene Vineyard, Clifford Davis
String Concertmaster - Sol Bobrov
Violins: Arnold Roth, Joel Smirnoff, George Palermo, Frank Borgognone, Roger Moulton, E. Zlatoff-Mirsky, Elliot Golub
Violas: Martin Abrams, Harold Kupter
Cellos: Carl B. Fruh, Kenneth Slowik

Recorded at P.S. Recording Studios, Chicago, by Paul Serrano
Assistant Engineers: Scott Towley, Denby Allen, Harry Brotman, Carmen Halsell and Judy Scheschelser
Mixed at P.S. Recording Studios, Chicago, by Barney Perkins
Mastered by Wally Trougott at Capitol Studios'
Copyist: Eddie Baker

Art Direction: Roland Young
Design: Junie Osaki, Lynn Robb
Photography: Dean Takuno (Front), Mark Hanauer (Back)

Capt. Bacardi

Just mindless, aimless, experimental Disco Shoogity-Boogity...

Evans seems to only be at least listed as a producer (as far as an actual role on this LP) while heading up this enterprise at Paul Serano's Chicago-area studio spearheading this effort only rivaled by Herbie Mann or Gap Mangione as far as making "Jisco Dazz" (Disco Jazz) is concerned... The same thing that kind'a curdled Gene Chandler's career here, as for whatever worthwhile R&B careers the emergence Disco uncovered, it equally sent a lot of other R&B and especially Jazz Artists' careers downhill...

Including a rather non-descript, uninspiring artist like Richard Evans...

Dave

Dave said:
Evans seems to only be at least listed as a producer (as far as an actual role on this LP)

He's the producer & arranger on this set, kind of a Quincy Jones role. He plays bass and had been on some Phil Upchurch albums.

Capt. Bacardi

This is an interesting little gem on the Horizon label. It's got a little bit of everything on it - funk, Brazilian, disco and even a little jazz. The opening track "Capricorn Rising" is a hot little Brazilian feature. "Funky Day" is a nice, soulful groove. "Do-Re" is pure disco fluff, while "Windy City" is a light funk feature. Things get interesting on "Educated Funk" featuring the Tower of Power horns, although the little rapping is kind of corny. "Feel The Fire" is pure magic, and probably the best track, with its quiet storm feel. The album ends on a smokey-jazz feel on Monk's "Round Midnight". Can't say I dig the cover too much. I'm not into the golden shower thing myself. :wtf: Overall, I give this 3 &1/2 stars.

Capt. Bacardi

A&M Corner's resident curmudgeon said:
Can't say I dig the cover too much. I'm not into the golden shower thing myself. :wtf:

I used to think it was two "Lebanese" women, but upon closer examination I see it's just one woman doing a rather bizarre pose...:wink:

--Mr Bill
the other curmudgeon (the one with a gentle edginess)

I agree it's the worst cover in the Horizon line, revealing NOTING about the music contained therein! At least the crappy Karma covers fit the music!

At least the crappy Karma covers fit the music!

Did you really think that Karma album (especially the 1st one) was crap? Very surprising there.

As far as this Richard Evans album goes, there's some good and bad things. I really thought "Feel The Fire" was a solid tune. Haven't really heard much about him before or after this album.

Found this while searching around...looks like he's released two albums - this one and "Dealing With Hard Times" for Atlantic in 1972.
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Richard+Evans+(2)

Richard Evans (2)

Profile:Bassist, composer, arranger and producer.

Evans is best known as producer and arranger for Cadet Records during the 1960s and early 1970s, working with artists like Ramsey Lewis, Marlena Shaw and Dorothy Ashby. In the same period he also formed The Soulful Strings with whom he recorded several albums.

In the 1970s and 1980s he worked as bassist and arranger with artists such as Natalie Cole, Peabo Bryson and Ahmad Jamal. Currently he serves as a music professor in Boston. Richard Evans for a brief period in the late 50s was a member of Sun Ra's Arkestra, playing on the early Ra album Sun Ra - Jazz By Sun Ra Vol. 1.

Thanks Bill! I wonder if that's why his name seems vaguely familiar to me. I have a few of those 60s Ramsey Lewis albums on the Cadet label, not to mention having some recordings he may have produced in the 70s and 80s that you mention.

Did you really think that Karma album (especially the 1st one) was crap?

No -- I love the music. I just didn't like the covers of either one. Like the Evans LP the cover does not "match my mental picture" of the music contained there-in. Other than that I really enjoy that 70's funk-jazz thing!

The Evans cover had me wondering when I first saw it if it was a picture of a woman "examining herself" or an end view of two women "examining each other." :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom