Other Female Singers

How could I forget Jann Arden, love, love, love her music.
Jann Arden is an amazing singer-songwriter; I got to hear her perform live years ago, and she's hilariously funny, too. Unfortunately, she's had to deal with the industry pressures on weight, too. As I recall, some record exec told her she was 20 pounds away from being a star. When she cried to her mother about this, apparently her mother replied: "You should have told them you don't want to gain any more weight." Good mother, indeed!

Unfortunately, she's had to deal with the industry pressures on weight, too. As I recall, some record exec told her she was 20 pounds away from being a star. When she cried to her mother about this, apparently her mother replied: "You should have told them you don't want to gain any more weight." Good mother, indeed!

Even after all the publicity about Karen, weight is still an issue. Oy.

After Karen Carpenter, my all-time favourite singer is Melissa Manchester.

Murray, she's the woman who sang the theme tune to 'The Trials Of Rosie O'Neill', right? Beautiful voice. I just love the way she sings the line "in a perfect world".

From 2m25s...

Features the fabulously talented Sharon Gless, my favourite actress. Shame it never made more than one or two series...

Murray, she's the woman who sang the theme tune to 'The Trials Of Rosie O'Neill', right? Beautiful voice. I just love the way she sings the line "in a perfect world".
Yes, that was Melissa singing the theme song. Thanks so much for posting the Youtube clip Stephen! It's been so long since that show was on TV, that I'd completely forgotten about the song.

Also love ANNE MURRAY...not so much her voice nowadays...but in her prime...a gorgeous voice...it's funny though...the fact she gets compared to Karen...but really although they are altos...I see no comparisons...I find Anne vocally to have a much GRITTIER AND COLDER voice...whereas Karen's EXUDES much WARMTH...and I am not ragging on Anne...I love her voice!! Her daughter Dawn Langstroth has a gorgeous voice too...reminiscent of Anne...

I thought that Anne Murray did a great remake of The Beatles "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You" (from 1980 "Somebody's Waiting). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I got to see Anne Murray in concert around 75-ish. She has a beautiful and powerful voice.

I came across this interesting bit about Goodbye to Love on YouTube today. I'd seen it before, but forgotten about it.

Anne Murray's "Snowbird" is one of those songs I never get tired of hearing.
But many Canadians do, LOL! I think the problem is that Anne Murray hit it so big in the States, she was all that was played on Canadian pop radio for years and years. Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot and the Guess Who were sort of the Canadian pop music triumvirate there for a while. There's no question that Anne Murray is wonderful (and I love her lower register much as I love Karen's), but folks like a little bit of variety.:)

But many Canadians do, LOL! I think the problem is that Anne Murray hit it so big in the States, she was all that was played on Canadian pop radio for years and years. Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot and the Guess Who were sort of the Canadian pop music triumvirate there for a while. There's no question that Anne Murray is wonderful (and I love her lower register much as I love Karen's), but folks like a little bit of variety.:)

The rules of Canadian radio provide that a certain, fairly large percentage of tracks played MUST be by Canadian artists, so yes, you'd get a lot of sameness from those artists.

Harry

NOW can someone play Canadian artist Sarah Slean instead of Carly Rae Jespen??:faint: Saw Sarah perform at the Kiwanis Theatre at Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario back in October of 2009. Sarah is the Tori Amos of piano singing style. Sarah is married to Canadian singer Royal Wood. Also I met Sarah in person & she looks like actress Julianne Moore without the freckles. Then she told me "I love you". How sweet was that!!:faint::crazy: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Here is Sarah Slean "Get Home" (from 2008 "The Baroness"): but it is not the official video because YouTube doesn't have it anymore. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Hooray, another Sarah Slean fan! My favorite album of hers is Day One, with the lovely "Mary" and "California" being my favourite songs. Hubby and I heard her perform live in Ottawa several years ago, and chills ran down my spine with her performance of "California" ... just her and her piano.

Gordon Lightfoot! My second favorite next to Carpenters!

I have often thought that these lyrics would have lent themselves well to Karen, as well as the genre, had she gone that way.
This big time ride is all I know
A picture perfect life on show
Stellar nights that never end
And people claim to be your friend
(Matt Bianco with Basia)

The first time I listened to this song in its entirety I was so in awe of Karen's voice once again. The line around 1:36 gives me that chill factor she is known for. Beautiful montage of photos as well.

The first time I listened to this song in its entirety I was so in awe of Karen's voice once again. The line around 1:36 gives me that chill factor she is known for. Beautiful montage of photos as well.
Thanks for posting this! "You're the One" is easily on my short list of favorite Carpenters' songs ever (although it wasn't a single, so I chose not to include it in the discussion of top 10 favorite singles). I agree with you that it's one of Karen't best performances ever---chill factor indeed!

There are no end of female singers I like to listen to, but those I tend to close my eyes and really listen to simply to appreciate their voice? Karen Carpenter would come first. Second? I'd probably go for Kathy Mattea (sometimes likened to Anne Murray) and perhaps Eva Cassidy.

Back
Top Bottom