Fandango - Shout Factory CD release scheduled for 2/19/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Actorman

Just found a listing on Amazon for an upcoming CD release of Fandango from Shout Factory scheduled for February 19. There is cover art and it is a continuation of the Signature Series! Not sure if any other titles are planned, but this is very cool although totally out of the blue. I was sure this series was dead.

51cOPF-CnkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here is a link to the listing:
http://www.amazon.com/Fandango-Herb-Alpert/dp/B00AMPY54U/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355430681&sr=1-1&keywords=herb alpert

Hi folks!

What a great message. I sold my Fandango CD some years ago.
Looking forward to get the new one with liner notes, digitally remastered and so forth.

Greetings from the Black Forest
Arthur

Nice to see the official date up there. We DID say it was coming a long time ago. I guess we should be on the lookout for MIDNIGHT SUN too.

Harry
...whose old FANDANGO CD has now lost some of its inflated value, online...

Nice to see the official date up there. We DID say it was coming a long time ago. I guess we should be on the lookout for MIDNIGHT SUN too.

Harry
...whose old FANDANGO CD has now lost some of its inflated value, online...
FINALLY its about time. And sinc i have it on vinyl and never as able to get it on cd now is my chance. I too thought this series was dead but always count on Herb to occasionaly surprise us.

Great news after a long wait! Hopefully there will be more titles to follow? Strangely, I can't find Fandango listed anywhere on Amazon.com, although the link that Actorman provided does work - weird.

I was told by someone @ Shout! that there are no bonus tracks on this release and at this time, there are no further re-issues on their (Shout! Factory) release schedule.

Hi Everyone-
Just letting you know that the new mastering and sound of, "Fandango" is truly amazing. Herb about fell out of his chair when he heard these new files. I think that everyone will be extremely happy with this album. The past few years I have been over-seeing the transfer of Herb's extensive analog tape library to Hi Rez digital wav files. Both 2 track mixes and many, many, multitracks from dozens of songs. Dance mixes, mono mixes, alternate mixes, and everything interesting and unique. The transfer from analog has been extremely slow as many of these tapes are 30, 40, & 50 years old. There are tape degradation issues, mold issues, bent reel issues, etc. Many of the tapes have to be put into rehydration chambers for several months at a time. There are also issues with obtaining great sounding hard to find 50 year old 3 trk, 4trk, and 8trk machines. Many of the original TJB songs were cut on 3trk multitracks. Once we have the analog tapes prepped and ready to go, we have the absolute finest A/D converters and clocks ready to make the transfers. We have the best people in music and tape preservation working with us. The same people that do archiving for the Smithsonian and NASA.

My plan is to get these great recordings out into the world. Most of the music will not be released as CD's. Herb's new website will feature digital files in both MP3 320 & Apple Lossless. I am exploring a way to offer very high resolution digital files and eventually we will have those. Please know that I have a wonderful sounding, "Midnight Sun", "North on South Street", and a "Beyond" that sounds better then I remember it sounding when I was mixing it in Studio B at A&M many years ago. I know that being a huge fan myself, I am constantly amazed as I am hearing things I never really heard before.

Please know that we are always open to comments and suggestions so certainly any feedback both positive and negative is cool. The website will be an on-going work and will eventually be huge in content. It will be interactive and content will be added and updated daily. The site will also eventually encompass many A&M artists, A&M history, Herb's art and charitable endeavors, photos, videos, and extensive personal history.

The even better news is that Herb is working on music almost every single day. A new album worth of songs has just been completed as well as some other dance tracks, jazz tracks, electronic tracks and pop tracks. And,,, he sounds great!! Wishing everyone good health and much, much happiness in 2013!!

randy

Hi randy!

Thanks a lot for your detailed additional information and the work involved.
I'm counting the days when this outstanding cd will be released. You can be assured, I'll be happy with this album.

Kind regards
Arhur

Hi Everyone-
Just letting you know that the new mastering and sound of, "Fandango" is truly amazing. Herb about fell out of his chair when he heard these new files. I think that everyone will be extremely happy with this album. The past few years I have been over-seeing the transfer of Herb's extensive analog tape library to Hi Rez digital wav files. Both 2 track mixes and many, many, multitracks from dozens of songs. Dance mixes, mono mixes, alternate mixes, and everything interesting and unique. The transfer from analog has been extremely slow as many of these tapes are 30, 40, & 50 years old. There are tape degradation issues, mold issues, bent reel issues, etc. Many of the tapes have to be put into rehydration chambers for several months at a time. There are also issues with obtaining great sounding hard to find 50 year old 3 trk, 4trk, and 8trk machines. Many of the original TJB songs were cut on 3trk multitracks. Once we have the analog tapes prepped and ready to go, we have the absolute finest A/D converters and clocks ready to make the transfers. We have the best people in music and tape preservation working with us. The same people that do archiving for the Smithsonian and NASA.

My plan is to get these great recordings out into the world. Most of the music will not be released as CD's. Herb's new website will feature digital files in both MP3 320 & Apple Lossless. I am exploring a way to offer very high resolution digital files and eventually we will have those. Please know that I have a wonderful sounding, "Midnight Sun", "North on South Street", and a "Beyond" that sounds better then I remember it sounding when I was mixing it in Studio B at A&M many years ago. I know that being a huge fan myself, I am constantly amazed as I am hearing things I never really heard before.

Please know that we are always open to comments and suggestions so certainly any feedback both positive and negative is cool. The website will be an on-going work and will eventually be huge in content. It will be interactive and content will be added and updated daily. The site will also eventually encompass many A&M artists, A&M history, Herb's art and charitable endeavors, photos, videos, and extensive personal history.

The even better news is that Herb is working on music almost every single day. A new album worth of songs has just been completed as well as some other dance tracks, jazz tracks, electronic tracks and pop tracks. And,,, he sounds great!! Wishing everyone good health and much, much happiness in 2013!!

randy
Hi Randy,

Just wanted to say that I'm very exciyted about the new cd from Herb that will be released. Hopefuly very soon. I'm also waiting for the new web site to be finished! Does the new cd have a title yet? Here's hoping that you & your family have a great 2013!

Shere Siegel

Sounds like in this case, "13" will be a lucky number!

I'm particularly excited about Beyond, which long-time readers will remember is one of my favorite Herb Alpert tracks with or without the TJB....I literally never get tired of that tune and the album is excellent as well. So color me pumped.

Hi Randy!

As always we appreciate your comments and especially your diligence in working with these albums. I, for one, am glad to hear that these albums will be done right instead of just slapping something together quickly. I had wondered about the tape deterioration over the years and am always amazed at the technology to preserve these tapes. I'd be interested in hearing how a rehydration chamber works, if you have the time.

Thanks again for the info! I'm sure we are all eagerly looking forward to hearing these amazing albums when the time comes!

Capt. Bacardi

Hi randy!

Thanks a lot for your detailed additional information and the work involved.
I'm counting the days when this outstanding cd will be released. You can be assured, I'll be happy with this album.

Kind regards
Arhur

Hi Arthur-

I think you will really like the sound of this record. It's wonderful! Have a good holiday..

Hi Randy,

Just wanted to say that I'm very exciyted about the new cd from Herb that will be released. Hopefuly very soon. I'm also waiting for the new web site to be finished! Does the new cd have a title yet? Here's hoping that you & your family have a great 2013!

Shere Siegel

Hi Shere-

Hope all is well in Canada.. I actually heard the last 3 songs last Thursday and didn't really ask unc about the title. We are trying to figure out in what format to release the record. So much has changed in how people listen and collect music and we are always looking for the best way to reach people. I will say that Herb is working on a really great video for the lead single. It will be very unique and fun. Wishing you and your family good health and much happiness throughout the new year...

Sounds like in this case, "13" will be a lucky number!

I'm particularly excited about Beyond, which long-time readers will remember is one of my favorite Herb Alpert tracks with or without the TJB....I literally never get tired of that tune and the album is excellent as well. So color me pumped.

Hi Mike-

I had not heard any of the songs on, "Beyond" in about 23 years. When I went to Bernie Grundman's Mastering to master the album, from the new Hi Rez transfers, I had totally forgotten writing one of the songs for that album and completely forgot that we had Johnny Guitar Watson on 2 other songs in addition to, "That's The Way of the World." Herb sounds great on that album and I hope you like the re-release. Have a healthy happy year ahead!!

Hi Randy!

As always we appreciate your comments and especially your diligence in working with these albums. I, for one, am glad to hear that these albums will be done right instead of just slapping something together quickly. I had wondered about the tape deterioration over the years and am always amazed at the technology to preserve these tapes. I'd be interested in hearing how a rehydration chamber works, if you have the time.

Thanks again for the info! I'm sure we are all eagerly looking forward to hearing these amazing albums when the time comes!

Capt. Bacardi

Hi Captain-

It's been awhile and I hope that you are well!! As far as these transfers, we are trying to do them the absolute best that we can. I am looking way into the future when everyone will be listening to music at 24 bit 192 instead of 16 bit 160 MP3's so we are preserving the audio at the highest quality possible as many of these analog tapes will not survive many more years. As I said above, the longest/hardest part of the process is ensuring that the analog tapes are in the absolute best condition playing back on the absolute best sounding analog tape machines so that we can capture the purest sounding music possible. Fortunately, with many of these new transfers, many of these songs sound better then anyone has ever heard them sound before. Regarding the rehydration chamber; I am not at all a technical person but Bruce, who is the master of rehydration, has built a small chamber cabinet that actually feeds a distilled water vapor at a constant temperature to the tape. The tape is first re-wound very loosely on to the reel so that moisture can more easily penetrate. The process can be a week or it can be anywhere up to several months. Many times when the oxide starts coming off the tape the first thing people say is that the tapes need to be baked (in an oven at around 130 degrees). Sometimes that is warranted and needed but more often tapes do not need to be baked as they really need to be hydrated. Most people do not know that and end up ruining their tapes. I certainly did not want to ruin any tapes so I find the very best people I can that are experts in this field. It is really a creative art in what they do as every situation and circumstance is unique .hey are kind of like doctors examining a patient. Anyways Captain, I certainly wish you good health and much happiness in 2013!!

There are no bonus tracks on this release and at this time, there are no further releases on their release schedule.

Hi Steve-

We tried to find bonus tracks but what I am finding is that Herb didn't really record extra songs when he was making albums. Sometimes he might have tried a song and if he didn't like it during the rhythm date he would just go on to something else. So there are not a lot of finished or unfinished gems lying around. Hope you are having a good holiday and I wish you good health and much happiness in 2013!!

Thank you Randy for your insight into what's going on in "Herbworld". It's very generous of you, and we're all thankful that you are sharing some details with us. I'm sure we'll all be thrilled with the results.

Harry

Randy — got your extended single of "Livin' in the USA" and put it to digital. Great song.

There have been comments to the effect that there are more songs than "Lost Treasures" would accommodate. Would those unreleased tracks be available as downloadable one-offs once the site goes live?

Randy, do I understand you correctly in that this new album is only Herb rather than Herb and Lani? Either way I'm looking forward to it!

Capt. Bacardi

I can second Randy's news and tell you that I love the new music and I'm excited about the way it's coming out. Randy did fantastic work on one track in particular (this is Bill, by the way - hey) and like Randy, I'm a fan as well as being honored to be a collaborator. As far as I know, it will be released as a Herb album, not Herb & Lani - but Lani has many great featured moments throughout. More news with the new year, I suppose....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom