Carpenters album covers, sleeves, labels, etc.

Just added:

Carpenters - "Horizon" (front, flap, back, sleeves, labels)

I forgot how stunningly beautiful Karen looked on the cover of this until I worked on it. Go 'head, Karen!

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/albums/carpenters/carpentershorizon.html

Ed

P.S.: I looked at the "Time" cover and I hate what I did with it. It needs a redo (I promise to avoid synthesizers, kick drums that go out of time, and oboes) so I'll get on that after work tomorrow night... :wink:

Ed, your scans are indeed fantastic, and I wanted to mention that I've added a link in the "Recommended Sites" section at the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource home page for your Carpenters page. Thanks for all of the hard work.

Harry

Just want to mention, Ed, that seeing the large version inside photo sleeve from "Hush" was a thrill. I have always loved that photo of Karen. Some have expressed thinking she looks sick, but to me, she just looks natural and relaxed. A nice change of pace. Sort of the "orange colored" version of the Horizon cover photo.

Ed, your scans are indeed fantastic, and I wanted to mention that I've added a link in the "Recommended Sites" section at the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource home page for your Carpenters page. Thanks for all of the hard work.

Harry

Wow! Thanks, Harry! I'm glad everyone's enjoying them. There's more coming... :wink:

That photo on the inside of AKOH is nice. I don't think she looks sick there and I agree that it would fit in perfectly with the "Horizon" aesthetic. I also like the subtle reddish hue in it.

Ed

By the way, I looked at my "Passage" LP late last night and I noticed that my record sleeve is generic. Do any of you have on that isn't? Just want to know if that's just how it was released or if mine went on the lamb over the years.

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Ed, I have 2 LP's of Passage, one is a promo. They both have plain paper sleeves, I'm assuming they were all like that because they printed everything on the inside gatefold so need need for a printed sleeve. However, I would have enjoyed it more it they included a printed sleeve with a photo of the duo.

Oh...I too like your site, much needed on the internet quality photos of these fantastic artwork that gets lost in CD size inserts. I wondered why some of your labels though do not have the center hole and others do? Did you alter those lables to not include the hole punch?

Thanks again for doing this, you should consider doing all the Lp's and 45's of the Carpenters (U.S. versions)

Hi, Chris!

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for at least an A&M themed sleeve. Oh well. I'm unaware of any of my labels having spindle holes. Can you tell me which ones do? I started removing them on a lark, decided I liked how it looked, and kept doing it. Glad you're enjoying the site...:wink:

I'm afraid I only have 1 45 of Carpenters to my name. If you or anyone else would like to donate to the cause, I'd be more than happy to put them up. I love looking at the few I've seen so I'd be happy to do it.

Ed

Both of my PASSAGE innersleeves are plain white, as is the Japanese mini-LP sleeve, so there wasn't any dedicated innersleeve for PASSAGE. Are you going to scan a plain white cover? :D

Harry

Both of my PASSAGE innersleeves are plain white, as is the Japanese mini-LP sleeve, so there wasn't any dedicated innersleeve for PASSAGE. Are you going to scan a plain white cover? :D

Harry

Absolutely! It'll be a real eye-catcher. Maybe I could scan the LP in the sleeve? Maybe just the grooves? Maybe I'll scan a plain white jacket - front and back, and treat the inside the gatefold like a sleeve!

:wink:

Ed

P.S.: Thanks to you both for checking...:)

Thank you Ed!
What a treat to see the album covers, especially the backsides of Horizon and A Kind Of Hush! I remember holding those album covers while listening to those albums with headphones repeatedly! That took me back! Thank you! Seeing the labels for A kind of hush was nice too! I remember how cool it was that the labels for A kind Of Hush and Passage were customized!
Thanks for all of your work!

Patrick

Yeah, when I first saw the labels that was the first thing I noticed that there were no holes. LOL
Ed, out of curiosity how are you scanning this? I have a scanner but it would never scan the size of an actual LP.
They look amazing.

Thanks, Chris! So you want to know my tricks, huh? LOL! Secrecy is overrated so here you go:

I use an 8 1/2 by 14 scanner (HP Scanjet 8300) and scan each side as two halves. I use the same process with gatefold LP's too. It's just that, in that case, I'll use empty heavier glass bottles and my hands to hold the image firmly on top of the scanner glass. It's cumbersome and tricky but it works if done right. I allow the scanner software to do nothing in terms of color, contrast, or sharpening correction. I want the covers exactly as they really are - warts and all. I scan at 300 dpi and upload at that resolution as well when I'm done cleaning.

I then join them in Photoshop and clean by "cloning", mild color and contrast correction, sharpening, and, every once in a while, color replacement although I try to avoid that when possible as it seems less organic to me.

After they're cleaned, I resize them. For Carpenters and most other albums on the site, it's 1200 x 1200 for covers, 1500 x 1500 for lyric sheets so you can read everything and 500 x 500 for labels. I can and will happily make the labels larger if anyone would prefer that.

In terms of time, one album generally takes me about an hour or so - gatefolds take longer (I started on "Passage" last night but petered out before I could finish...LOL!). It's worth doing, though, because they aren't anywhere else in really nice resolution. Also, one can usually find covers but almost never backs, sleeves, or labels. When I get to "Singles", its got a booklet so that'll all go up. I've even put the flaps (if there's anything on them) up for albums that have them.

As alluded to earlier, "Time"'s record sleeve wasn't sized largely enough so I need to fix that. Beyond that, everything's going according to plan.

Aren't you glad you asked? LOL!

Ed

Wow, that is one mighty fine secret. :cool: I won't tell... :shh: lol

Good job they look exactly as if you were holding one in your hands.
Thanks for taking the time, makes me appreciate them even more with that process. :)

Wow, impressive!!

Passage sure had nice artwork.
I like the use of the colors and design flow, especially how it replica's onto the label. They really did a nice job even though there is not a single photo of the duo. I wonder who came up with the name Passage for the title.

I suspect that no photos were used because of the kind of shape K & R were in at that time.

I remember thinking how cool that record cover was. As a Carpenters fan, you never knew what kind of dorky cover may be on a Carpenters record and you had to take it to the cashier, who was probably someone extremely cool at school. This one looked really cool.

Beautifully done, Ed.
It's fun to see nice scans of all parts of the albums. Great job! Passage sure is wonderful. I've always loved that design.
I'm wondering if the Harry Langdon photo sessions of Karen and Richard in 1977, were done before or right after the Passage release. I guess they wanted to be really different this time around and not include any photos of them at all. It certainly made for a very unique and memorable release. Great album.

I love the "Passage" package too. Brilliant design! That's why I was willing to put the work in; it deserved to be shown off. I really like the fact that there are no pics of them in the package. They aren't needed; just let the music do the talking.

Ed

But wait...you didn't think I'd come back to this thread without bearing gifts, did you?

Just added:

"Live At The Palladium" (front, back, labels)

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/albums/carpenters/carpenterspalladium.html

BTW, do any of you happen to have the ability to scan the "Producer" and "Associate Producer" credits on your copies? As you'll see, I couldn't undue the damage ringwear caused...and I tried for far too long to do exactly that...LOL! If anyone could provide it, I can absolutely add it to what I already have and make a totally nice back cover.

Thanks for the help and all the kind words...:)

Ed

P.S.: I am not totally thrilled with the front cover either. I may have to just get another LP and do this again at some point...LOL!

Back
Top Bottom