Carpenters album covers, sleeves, labels, etc.

I just noticed, and I'm not sure if it's on the topic, but the covers of A Song For You vinyl and CD are not identical...
$(KGrHqMOKowE6)tF6-bMBRtLuVhYjQ~~60_12.JPG
$(KGrHqRHJFUFBh)GQSEsBQft+E(eSQ~~60_3.JPG

You can see the position of the hearts in the cover of these two media are quite different. Anyone happen to know why is this so?

Thank you <3

Marianne, welcome. These two covers are the result of Richard and Karen not being happy with the original design - the straighter one - so the art department changed the cover to the more skewed version. They hated that too, and the end result was it was changed back. But both covers are out there and have been used on various CD reissues.

Harry

I saw a vinyl Carpenters album that I don't think I have seen before. It is not on the resource page nor on David's page with all of the albums. I'll put the link here and see if anyone has seen it before...
Thanks for any info.

Jonathan

There were many, many Carpenters record albums released around the world back in the '70s. Collecting them all would be a chore beyond belief - and the important point to remember is that other than a few single vs. album versions, most are all original mixes, as the remixing didn't start until the CD age.

Harry

Marianne, welcome. These two covers are the result of Richard and Karen not being happy with the original design - the straighter one - so the art department changed the cover to the more skewed version. They hated that too, and the end result was it was changed back. But both covers are out there and have been used on various CD reissues.

Harry

Hey Harry! Thank you!

Can you point me out to the specific catalogs of the CD release using the same cover as the vinyl [I posted] except the mini LP replica version?
I really prefer the vinyl cover rather than the one in the CD image I posted, though I have both the vinyl and CD :)

Regarding A SONG FOR YOU, if finding the vinyl with the skewed cover is problematic, try searching out the original US issue of the CD from A&M. It's a simple catalog number of CD 3511. That was actually the first time I saw the skewed cover/large heart design.

The later issues used the straighter design (MFSL, Remastered Classic, Japanese mini-LP CD).

Harry

The later issues used the straighter design (MFSL, Remastered Classic, Japanese mini-LP CD).

Harry

I must go for the Remastered Classic then, I hope it includes the lyrics like in the MFSL.

Anyways, thanks Harry, you've been immensely helpful.

Just so everyone's clear:

Original A&M CD: skewed/larger heart

MFSL: straighter/smaller heart
Remastered Classic: straighter/smaller heart
Japan mini-LP CD: straighter/smaller heart

Other issues around the world could possibly have used A&M's skewed/larger heart design. I've only ever seen the US issue. And I'll bet that any stealth reissues in the '90s used the straighter design, probably by Richard's decree.

Harry

Bizarre...when I just access the site, they're not there...but when I logged-in to re-post them, they ARE there. I copied/pasted the URL address for each, if there's an alternate way, let me know. I can e-mail you the .jpg files if nothing else.

I think it's because we can't log in to see them. Only you can do that. They need to be somewhere where the .jpg's are linkable and don't require a log-in. Your "inbox" isn't the place to do that. If you'd like, you can email them to me and I'll upload them to a space where everyone can see them.

Ed

I've tried but am unable to copy and paste the .jpg files here, only the URL. Relay a preferred e-mail address and I'll forward them...thx.

I've tried but am unable to copy and paste the .jpg files here, only the URL. Relay a preferred e-mail address and I'll forward them...thx.

My email address is [email protected] (this is the one most accessible at the moment). I'd be happy to post them so people can see them. I know I'm excited to see them myself... :wink:

Thanks for being so willing to show them off!

Ed

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Does anyone have the original ochre labels for "Now And Then" that they could scan and throw at me? My copy has the silver labels. If anyone has them, scanning them in the PNG format would be marvelous.

Thanks for anything anyone can do... :)

Ed

My email address is [email protected] (this is the one most accessible at the moment). I'd be happy to post them so people can see them. I know I'm excited to see them myself... :wink:

Thanks for being so willing to show them off!

Ed

Ed,

I just e-mailed three .jpg files from my iPhone. They don't do the print justice, but hope it helps if others are interested. Somehow, having a signed print from the actual artist of an original Carpenters album cover makes you feel like you have a slight connection with it all. What memories, and what pleasure their music continues to bring year after year after year. If anyone else is interested in purchasing a print from Lou, just e-mail him at loubeach.com.

Here are Steven's (Passenger) photos of his "Passage" framed artwork:

9hgp.jpg

xtpk.jpg

There was another but it was almost exactly the same as the first one. Thanks to Steven for allowing us to see them!

Ed

Scans of original ochre labels are "in the mail."

Harry

I love the Passage artwork...what size is the print, it's hard to tell from the photo...in addition the textured black in the last photo, is that throughout the entire print or just the border?

I love the Passage artwork...what size is the print, it's hard to tell from the photo...in addition the textured black in the last photo, is that throughout the entire print or just the border?

The Passage cover itself is 15"x 15", with Lou's signature in the lower right corner below the print, and he prints and ships it on a 17"x 22" size paper. Per Lou, it's a "giclee print on musuem quality rag paper with archival inks". No, the textured black image you see is of the mat I selected. The dimensions of mine after matting and framing are 24"x 24".

Back
Top Bottom