Carpenters album covers, sleeves, labels, etc.

The Passage cover itself is 15"x 15", with Lou's signature in the lower right corner below the print, and he prints and ships it on a 17"x 22" size paper. Per Lou, it's a "giclee print on musuem quality rag paper with archival inks". No, the textured black image you see is of the mat I selected. The dimensions of mine after matting and framing are 24"x 24".

Thanks Steven for the additional info. So it sounds like this print is larger than the standard LP. It does look really nice framed.

While we were discussing Passage, it reminded me of the SACD downmixes that Richard issued. I still can't get over what an awesome experience it is to hear "Calling Occupants" from this CD. It's a real theatrical experience...this is the way it way meant to be heard. In the past I would just hear Karen and the lyrics but now I have really grown to appreciate all the instrumentation that went into making the track, the listener hears things on the SACD not heard on the LP, 45 or normal CD playback. When the fuzz guitar goes down low at approx 5:12 and at 6:00 mins and then to hear it slide back up....I get goosebumps!!

Chris May said it best here:
Carpenters Complete Recording Resource Site

Lest it should appear that I've forgotten, I still have a few other Carpenters albums to work on. I've gotten a little busier than I expected but I promise to finish it all up...:wink:

Ed

Okay, all background coding issues have been solved and all typos removed. "Passage" was in real trouble from a "text" standpoint. Clearly, more work was put into the pics themselves than into the text...LOL!

http://www.vinylalbumcovers.com/carpenters.html

If anything looks wrong, please let me know. There are more jackets coming (i.e. the two missing). I just need to find good copies of them as the ones I had were well-loved my mother.

Ed

I can guess LIVE IN JAPAN and maybe SINGLES 1974-1978?

Harry

You got one right... Stay tuned... LOL!

Oh, exciting news! I finally managed to fix the code so that the new background images will cover the entire screen regardless of size. They appeared full-size on my large monitor but not so much on my i-Stuff or on my laptop. Also, the background wasn't static on my iStuff either. Now, it is. I just did "Ticket To Ride" and am working my way through the rest of them. All should be done shortly.

Ed

Okay, all done. I'm quite excited about this (call me twisted - you might be right...LOL!). The background is in place, it covers your screen, and it's static. Making all three of those things happen was not easy for me to make happen - especially not across all browsers....and on iStuff!!! This is a monumental achievement in Ed-land, darn it! LOL!!!

If you'd like to see what I'm crowing about, the fun starts here:

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/carpenters.html

All pages have been altered. I'm even starting to do all the others and have made some slight format changes as well.

Ed

Good job, Ed. One typo I noticed is on the LOVELINES page, in the description for the US label, Side One: "Getting rid of the spindle hold was a challenge ..." I think your "d" needs to be an "e".

Harry

Since I've decided to do all my Carpenters vinyl, I've split the albums off into their own section of the site. Just click on the "Carpenters" label and everything I've done so far is there!

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/index.html

Enjoy!

Ed
Thank you so much for this, Ed! It brings back so many memories, not only of the Carpenters album covers, themselves, but also looking at those early paper sleeves of other artists/albums on the A&M roster. I used to stare at those photos of Kris & Rita, and then Rita with that filmy tank top. It sounds awful of me, but I wondered then if you could actually see through it. Of course, nowadays that would be considered tame, LOL!

As for the lack of photos on the Passage album, I seem to recall photos from that time that didn't look too bad ... or, at least, didn't look any worse than, say, the photo used on the inside liner of A Kind of Hush. So I found that odd at the time, and still do. I wondered if perhaps budget constraints were part of it. Or maybe, since this was supposed to be a game-changing album, they thought that having no photos at all would force people to listen to the music instead of focusing on their white-bread image (which, sadly, was brought back in full force with the Made in America cover and artwork).

Thanks so much for the wonderful compliment, byline. So glad you enjoy the covers. It was truly my pleasure... :wink:

I think you may be onto something regarding the artwork for "Passage". This was likely all about needing to present themselves in as different a way as possible in order to stimulate sagging record sales and perhaps even change the public perception of Carpenters in some way. Many of the tunes are different; why shouldn't all elements of the package be too? The logo itself only appears on the back so they didn't even want that placed front and center. In the end, of course, it was all for naught as the record didn't move well at all.

Ed

byline gives me these nice compliments and I immediately discover that I screwed up royally on Richard Carpenter's "Time" album. LOL! The art was right...and absolutely nothing else... Oh well. All fixed now:

http://vinylalbumcovers.com/albums/carpenters/richardcarpentertime.html

Mia culpa! 'Course, now you know I'm just using a couple of pages, plugging new info into them, and uploading the results rather than starting fresh each time. No shame in my game...LOL!

Ed

Well, it was still a valiant effort on their part to do something DIFFERENT, so they should be applauded for that alone. The album didn't do that great, but it wasn't a bomb, either. The most important part of 'Passage' is how WELL it has held up over the years in comparison to other albums. It's hip, it's different and the performances, arrangements and the artwork are all top-notch.

I have not forgotten to add the two aforementioned albums. I had copies of both and they were too trashed to add so I had to grab two more. Easier said than done. LOL! Anyway, they're here now and work shall commence.

Ed

As someone who has only a few shop-bought Carpenters albums (the rest are copies from a friend), these scans are very welcome.

Many thanks for your time and effort Ed!

Back
Top Bottom