Do you know anyone who has collected all (or most) things "Carpenter"?

The Sailboat Poster is indeed real! I've got one. It's all beat up. Had it hanging on the wall after purchasing it at my one and only Carpenters concert I attended in 1973. It cost $1.00, if memory serves.

Chris:
I finally managed to obtain an 'Argentina' picture sleeve which was issued in 1980 as an 'forget me nots' release. It's just a map of Argentina itself, but still kinda cool. I remember seeing it in the singles section in 1980, and didn't buy one. Took me 32 years to find another. :)

Chris:
I finally managed to obtain an 'Argentina' picture sleeve which was issued in 1980 as an 'forget me nots' release. It's just a map of Argentina itself, but still kinda cool. I remember seeing it in the singles section in 1980, and didn't buy one. Took me 32 years to find another. :)

Cool, could you upload a photo of the sleeve, I've never seen one.

I think there is a picture, front and back on the Finally Launched thread, page two. I had never seen it either until here.

I think there is a picture, front and back on the Finally Launched thread, page two. I had never seen it either until here.

I can't believe I don't remember seeing that from 2012...:laugh:
So then there was never an official picture sleeve of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" per Mary's comment. That picture sleeve posted also does not have the correct logo but do I see an A&M logo? Unless they were going with the Passage logo. Interesting.

Speaking of Don't Cry For Me Argentina...there is a "live" version they performed...I'm assuming at a concert but I don't know which...does anyone know when? I never knew they performed this live until several years ago.

Feb 17th, 1978 Harrah's Tahoe live Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Karen sang lp version note for note. At first I had to listen ever so closely to distinguish"live" or Memorex. It was very cool in that darkness fell to a spotlight on Karen. No Richard, band, no nothing but Karen doing her thing.Quite lovely.

Jeff

So then there was never an official picture sleeve of "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" per Mary's comment. That picture sleeve posted also does not have the correct logo but do I see an A&M logo? Unless they were going with the Passage logo. Interesting.

Here's the front and back covers of the 'Argentina' single, the A&M logo is centre bottom on the back of the sleeve. The 'Carpenters' logo is the same as the cover of Passage.

CARPDONTCRY7.jpg
CARPDONTCRYCALLING7.jpg

Thanks Jeff for the exact date of that live recording and Stephen for the covers. I guess I need that Argentina sleeve...the hunt is on. So this sleeve was not issued in the U.S.? I'm confused about Mary's comment.

I don't know the date of the posted"live" Argentina but my date noted above is relative to the performance I was at.

Jeff

Is the Argentina sleeve foreign? I always thought it was a US issued sleeve. Could verify that please Stephen and what country issued it if not ours? Thx, and thank you Gary for the pics and link to the song.

Is the Argentina sleeve foreign? I always thought it was a US issued sleeve. Could verify that please Stephen and what country issued it if not ours? Thx, and thank you Gary for the pics and link to the song.

As far as I know, these were issued in the US as part of the 'Forget Me Nots' nostalgia 45s. They don't follow the normal A&M catalogue numbers for that reason. For example, the normal 45 releases prior to and after this were 'Sweet, Sweet Smile' (A&M 2008), 'I Believe You' (A&M 2097) and 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' (A&M 2344).

The list of 13 'Forget Me Nots' 45s as listed on a thread on this forum in 2005 as follows:

A&M 8548 (They Long To Be) Close To You/Ticket To Ride 1980
A&M 8549 We've Only Just Begun/For all We Know 1980
A&M 8552 Rainy Days And Mondays/Superstar 1980
A&M 8556 Top Of The World (Lp version)/Goodbye To Love 1980
A&M 8566 Yesterday Once More/Sing 1980
A&M 8593 Please Mr. Postman/Solitaire (Lp versions) 1980
A&M 8594 Only Yesterday/I Won't Last A Day Without You 1980
A&M 8596 There's A Kind Of Hush/I Need To Be In Love 1981
A&M 8620 The Christmas Song/Merry Christmas Darling (1978 version) 1981
A&M 8629 Don't Cry For Me Argentina/Calling Occupants 1981
A&M 8667 Honolulu City Lights/I Just Fall In Love Again (with picture sleeve) 1986
A&M 8713 Hurting Each Other (Singles 69-73 mix)/Touch Me When We're Dancing 1993
A&M 8714 It's Going To Take Some Time ('89 remix)/Bless The Beasts And Children ('85 remix) 1993

My last time was the Christmas benefit concert in Long Beach, with the Long Beach State Choir. Karen came out at the very end in a floor length light blue dress with fur collar. We all gasped, politely, at how extremely thin she was. Maybe 90 lbs. at the most. Still she sang like an angel and it was a beautiful event.

I'm sure the memory of seeing Karen, and hearing her in concert is an event which
will forever stay "...etched inside your hearts..".
I am pleased that so many fans did get to experience her in person.
I truly wish she had realized how much she was thought of, and loved.
And, then, maybe she knew.

A&M 8667 Honolulu City Lights/I Just Fall In Love Again (with picture sleeve) 1986
I recall the day in 1987 when I heard this song ,Honolulu City Lights, on the radio, I was elated and surprised.
Needless to say, I called the radio station for information; well, they never got back to me.
I am happy to say, after all this time, I finally got hold of this 45 w/picture sleeve.
Played the vinyl today, and, it is beautiful.
Each time Karen hits the low notes on the lyric "...again.." it is just awesome and chilling.
The harps playing throughout the bridge are quite clear on the single.
A lovely piece of music, through and through.

Heard it today on YouTube for the first time - very relaxing.

(I really like the bass note completing the unusual chord that Richard has used in the outro at 3:05 - at first listening my mind was expecting something more conventional - yet it works so well.)

You might want to check out an earlier studio version of Honolulu City Lights. The arrangement is slightly different, and you can hear a few words from Karen right at the end suggesting satisfaction with her vocal on this take:

I had some of those Keepsakes - but wish I'd have purchased more... One collection of which I am most proud is a series of Billboard Magazines with ads for many of the new releases... Those were nice. Full color ads for singles and album releases. Oft times I would snag the issues with the reviews as well...

Back
Top Bottom