Not open for further replies.

ullalume

carpenters1.jpg
carpenters2.jpg
carpenters3.jpg
carpenters4.jpg
carpenters5.jpg
carpenters6.jpg

Nice to see "Itchie" Ramone in the 2nd and 3rd photos. I knew from "Little Girl Blue" she went to Europe with the duo, but not her South American trip.

Apologies to all those who've seen these before. This is my last "new photos" post, I promise.

Neil

Great photos Neil!

There are some photos of them on Sugar Loaf Mountain when they were filming the segment for 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' and Itchie is standing beside Karen in one of them too. I'll try and dig it out for you.

Wonderful to view new photos, thanks, Neil.

I must say, though, I have always been greatly disturbed by any of the Brazil photos of Karen.
Many years ago, after getting hold of VHS of the Brazil promo tour, I was simply distraught when
seeing the physical condition that Karen was in at this time.
The difference between her wedding photos and Brazil photos is overwhelming.

GaryAlan:

"I must say, though, I have always been greatly disturbed by any of the Brazil photos of Karen."

I was in two minds to post these, knowing how some people feel about seeing her in this state, but in the end thought anything rare, and in good taste, deserved to be shown. I'm just pleased she was able to get away from Tom and soak up some love from the Brazilian fans with Bro and Best Mate in tow.

Point well taken.
Karen probably enjoyed the trip to Brazil and may have gotten some well deserved emotional support from
fans and other well-wishers while there. She, clearly, is enjoying herself.

I can't help myself - I've been immersed in Photoshop stuff lately, so the compulsion to try to fix photos is overwhelming.

Brazil0004.jpg Brazil0005.jpg Brazil0006.jpg

Harry

I wish Karen had been as happy on the inside as she appeared on the outside with her beautiful smile. She made so many people very happy. The pictures do bring back the reality, don't they.

Great photos Neil!

There are some photos of them on Sugar Loaf Mountain when they were filming the segment for 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' and Itchie is standing beside Karen in one of them too. I'll try and dig it out for you.

That photo is on Sidney Junior's Carpenters Facebook page as well, you just need to scroll down to year 2011 to find it. I think Sidney covered the most of anyone for this 81 Brazil trip. I have seen tons of photos from this trip that he took but I don't see the website online anymore but he has posted some of them on his Facebook page.

Credit:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brazilian-Carpenters-Friends-Club-By-Sydney-Junior/218986328176509

I think this one of Karen and Itchie could be adjusted seems bright maybe sun?

406644_221498131258662_543237736_n.jpg

I can't believe I missed this but here is an audio only portion of Carpenters last performance at a shopping mall in Brazil. Karen answers the question are you married? It's bittersweet to hear her talk. We see live pictures from the event. They sing a couple songs and answer a few questions, appears to be a outside event.

Credit to: Sidney Junior website above

https://myspace.com/gocarpenters/video/the-carpenters-in-brazil-1981/13762453

Last edited:
The above audio link corresponds to the video I have on VHS tape.
It still is difficult to watch.

The photo above is new to me.
Thanks, Chris.

i can't open that link, Chris. Any suggestions.

I just tried it again and the link works for me, I'm using Chrome. If you can't open you can try his facebook page I posted above because he links it from there, you just need to search for it, I forget which year he posted it.

The above audio link corresponds to the video I have on VHS tape.
It still is difficult to watch.The photo above is new to me.Thanks, Chris.

So there is a video to that performance outside? They did several different shows there was a show inside where they sang We've Only Just Begun and Back In My Life Again but I didn't know about this outside show and wasn't aware there was video taken for that. On the link to his myspace page he creates photos from the event.

Thanks Harry, much better!!

What I find sorta funny is how Karen is wearing the same yellow outfit she wore here in the states, she was a millionaire no need to wear the same thing over again...lol Did she think we wouldn't notice? :laugh:

I will check my VHS again, as I have not watched it since I got it in the 1990s.
So, I could be wrong, as it may be only the 'inside' performance.
My assumption, and my memory, falters, on this account.
So, I will check it out today, as I need to be as accurate as possible.
Thanks for alerting me to this, Chris.

No problem, let us know what you find out, crossing my fingers for new footage. :)

I like this photo from Sidney's collection on his facebook page. Karen looking through records....never seen a photo like that, can you imagine looking through records with Karen Carpenter? Oh yeah!!! I wonder what she's looking at?

222268_198159100220498_5012642_n.jpg

K & R Carpenter had a big fan following in Brazil. Sharon Corr toured Brazil last year - the Corrs never went there. She found there was a huge Corrs fan following and they just loved her. Do you think there were a lot of crossover fans from Carpenters to Corrs, or is Brazil known for taking to foreign artists well?

Sharon said in her show that while she just loved Brazil and the fans there, the people there walk around wearing hardly anything. Wonder if it was like that back in '81.

Great pictures, whoever they are from!

I can't believe I missed this but here is an audio only portion of Carpenters last performance at a shopping mall in Brazil. Karen answers the question are you married? It's bittersweet to hear her talk. We see live pictures from the event. They sing a couple songs and answer a few questions, appears to be a outside event.

Credit to: Sidney Junior website above

https://myspace.com/gocarpenters/video/the-carpenters-in-brazil-1981/13762453
Evidently, the sound person wasn't much of a fan.

I just tried it again and the link works for me, I'm using Chrome. If you can't open you can try his facebook page I posted above because he links it from there, you just need to search for it, I forget which year he posted it.

So there is a video to that performance outside? They did several different shows there was a show inside where they sang We've Only Just Begun and Back In My Life Again but I didn't know about this outside show and wasn't aware there was video taken for that. On the link to his myspace page he creates photos from the event.

What I find sorta funny is how Karen is wearing the same yellow outfit she wore here in the states, she was a millionaire no need to wear the same thing over again...lol Did she think we wouldn't notice? :laugh:

just used firefox.. . . .cheers. . . .what a treat

Well, I am unable to view my VHS, but it seems most likely that it was the inside performance (I believe lip-sync).
My confusion stems from recalling an absence of We've Only Just Begun inside, though.
This is the reason for my confusion, as the video I have definitely has Close To You on it.
The Fan Club Newsletter#73 mentions this promo tour, but is ambiguous/confusing about performances.(live/studio/prerecorded?)
Well, that Newsletter is a bit confusing to me, anyway. Perhaps another set of eyes can help with my clarity?

Regardless, I love the above audio. Karen sounds in fine vocal form,here.
Which begs the question, why didn't they do 'live' on Merv Griffin Show? (Those Good Old Dreams was edited out, was it live?)
I wonder why no 'live' performances (that I am aware of, anyway) to promote in the USA?

To my knowledge, the only "live" performance in '81 was Karen singing Top of the World on a French TV show (over the pre-recorded music and background vocals).

Karen and Richard sang along to 'Back In My Life Again' and 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' at the outdoor event in Brazil where she's wearing the yellow outfit. The event was cut short due to rain. You can't really hear much, but there's an audio tape of it on You Tube, I believe.

Karen and Richard sang along to 'Back In My Life Again' and 'Touch Me When We're Dancing' at the outdoor event in Brazil where she's wearing the yellow outfit. The event was cut short due to rain. You can't really hear much, but there's an audio tape of it on You Tube, I believe.

you mean like singing to the existing pre-recorded lead? Yeah, I picked up a bit of that but thought it was just fans in the audience singing along. Having said that there is a little "later karen" I think I can hear on Close to You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom