What A&M item has been impossible to find?

Herb stuff: Just You and Me, Beyond, Fandango on cd...
Herb Alpert and Hugh Masekela - both on cd
Lani Hall: Sun Down Lady...

Looks...like...someone...is...worn...out...from...doing...(or...trying...to...do)...a...Passion...Dance :evil:

Dave :laughup:

I think that "Hope" (A&M) (1972) is indeed hard to find. By the way, is that a Canadian group?? :confused: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I recently got a copy of The Kenjolairs 45, The story Of An Evergreen Tree/Little White Lies, which I believe is the second A&M record! Herb co-wrote the a-side. I find it a bit dire, like many of his early vocal recordings, but the b-side is a real charmer!

I find it hard to get Herb's later pre-stereo singles.

Hi,

For me, I need clean LP copies of:

HA Presents Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66'
Herb Alpert and the TJB: Warm (critically needed)
Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66": Look Around
A & M Audiophile series LP's
Herb Alpert & the TJB: Here Come The Brass

Kent Teffeteller

KentTeffeteller said:
Hi,

For me, I need clean LP copies of:

HA Presents Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66'
Herb Alpert and the TJB: Warm (critically needed)
Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66": Look Around
A & M Audiophile series LP's
Herb Alpert & the TJB: Here Come The Brass

Kent Teffeteller

Hi Kent--the last title you're thinking of is probably "The Brass Are Comin'", which coincided with the "wild west" TV special the TJB had back then. Depending on where you live, decent copies of the Brasil '66 albums aren't too difficult to find, but IMHO, the crown jewel would be the "HA Presents" album that was pressed by MoFi. I've yet to hear a version that sounded so good, although I'm anxious to hear the CD reissues coming out next month.

The A&M Audiophile series can still be found here and there, but they're semi-rarities. They are well worth buying, though--the few I've been able to locate sound fantastic. While you're at it--if you see any of the A&M/CTi titles that were reissued in the mid 80s, grab those also. They were pressed on virgin vinyl and half-speed mastered as well. They have the unique Audio Master Plus red/white LP label.

Anyone here have three-disc red, blue and clear promo set of 12" singles from i]Keep Your Eye On Me[/i]? I already had the singles, but it's a neat set. Another local place had about four of those when I bought mine.

I've searched periodically for this set over the years but up until now have come away empty-handed. This week I finally spotted one on eBay, supposedly NM. We'll see when it gets here.

Harry

Ah! The triple-disc colored-vinyl 12" Alpert set!
I actually saw a copy of that at one of the local record shops here a few years back for $10, but the cover wasn't in the greatest of condition and was pretty dinged up, so I opted not to get it, but that was the only time I've ever run into it, unfortunately. Man, are the records in that set beautiful, though!
I do tend to regularly run across the clear-vinyl 12" single of "Rise," which I would've bought by now, except I've never seen it in semi-decent condition. Every copy I've ever seen looks it was run over by a truck. :laugh: Go figure.
I am definitely a sucker for colored vinyl, though. I have bought records I knew absolutely nothing about just 'cause they were on colored vinyl. I actually got into Be-Bop Deluxe that way, 'cause they have a double-disc live album that has one disc pressed on white vinyl, and I saw it in a dollar bin and said, "I have absolutely no idea who these people are, but it's white vinyl, so ... I think I have to get this." :laugh: Luckily, I ended up really liking the album, actually, which was a pleasant bonus.
The two colored-vinyl A&M releases in the U.S. that I'd most love to find but have never run across a copy of either are the silver-vinyl version of Styx's Cornerstone and the pink-vinyl version of the Pretty in Pink soundtrack. Anytime I run across copies of those albums, I always have to peek inside to see what color the vinyl is, but no such luck just yet.

As I mentioned back when this thread was newer, I've already got all of the 12" mixes that are represented on this red, clear, blue set, but once I learned of this one, it's something I wanted. I'm hoping for delivery early next week.

Harry

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66/Herb Alpert Presents. How have a Columbia pressed mono and a Monarch pressed Stereo, both NM. Warm, own 3 near mint copies. Spent no more than $3 for the most expensive. The Brass Are Comin' now own a NM promo. Sergio Mendes Look Around I now own an Australian original LP of (Festival) with US Monarch stampers.

The two colored-vinyl A&M releases in the U.S. that I'd most love to find but have never run across a copy of either are the silver-vinyl version of Styx's Cornerstone and the pink-vinyl version of the Pretty in Pink soundtrack. Anytime I run across copies of those albums, I always have to peek inside to see what color the vinyl is, but no such luck just yet.

Interesting! Never imagined silver vinyl. Styx's Equinox was pressed on yellow vinyl, but I'm not sure if that was a Canadian or US pressing.

My favorite has to be a coral colored vinyl for the Tomita album Bermuda Triangle. It also came in some sort of aquamarine color too. Too bad the colored vinyl scratches so easily though...

As I mentioned back when this thread was newer, I've already got all of the 12" mixes that are represented on this red, clear, blue set, but once I learned of this one, it's something I wanted. I'm hoping for delivery early next week.

Harry

I thought there was one unique mix on a B-side that wasn't available elsewhere...I'd have to check again. Pretty sure I have the original three 12" releases of this.

Ah! The triple-disc colored-vinyl 12" Alpert set!
I actually saw a copy of that at one of the local record shops here a few years back for $10, but the cover wasn't in the greatest of condition and was pretty dinged up, so I opted not to get it, but that was the only time I've ever run into it, unfortunately.

None of the covers will be in good shape--the cover seems to be slightly thinner than a typical LP jacket, but not as flimsy as those sleeves I've seen from overseas (which IMHO are horrible). What you'll find on just about all copies is that the bottom and side splines on this jacket will be blown out: three records are a lot of weight for one jacket to support, so just from handling alone, the spines get trashed.

My three-record set arrived today and is in impeccable shape. The spine is perfect, and the discs seem unplayed.

As for the unique mix, I think it might be on the red "Making Love In The Rain" which has a "remix" listed on the b-side. I don't think I have that remix anywhere else, and am about to go listen to it.

Harry

I have the original 12". But not sure what is on it anymore. It isn't exactly the best song on the album so I rarely ever played it. Discogs had a listing for the original single--I'm not sure how I'd look up the 3-12" set.

Glad you found one with the spines intact. That itself is a rarity. :D Any copy I've seen locally was blown out. I really have to handle mine carefully.

I would like to find a good copy of the Roger Nichols & SCOF LP. The sealed one I got had that bad case of pinch warp and I doubt the new cartridge will track it. (Even my current one had trouble, and some days it would play, others it wouldn't.) A shame since it was a really nice sounding LP, better than the CD with more detail. It's still a thrill to finally own a copy; now I need the playable one. :laugh:

I've been looking for Carpenters Brazilian Greatest Hits. It has Only Yesterday as the follow-in from the Overture from The Singles 1969-1973.

I've been looking for Carpenters Brazilian Greatest Hits. It has Only Yesterday as the follow-in from the Overture from The Singles 1969-1973.

Ah - this one:
carpomelhor.jpg

I will say it's fun to pick this disc apart - it's got so many anomalies. They're all listed here: http://carpenters.amcorner.com/album/o-melhor-de-carpenters-only-yesterday

This is one I picked up on eBay. There's another one that uses the "O Melhor..." terminology, but that's just one of those common HORIZON knock-offs.

Harry

My constant quest involves only two singles, both by the Baja Marimba Band: "Wincle Lamoyan Coan" and "Man, That's Coffee." Acquiring the original 45's would be ideal but, since they are extremely rare, I would love to have the recordings in any permanent form. That would complete my BMB collection!

Charles

Supertramp:
"Land Ho" (original 7" version) (1974)
"You Started Laughing (When I Held You in My Arms)" (original version; B-side of "Lady" single) (1975)
(both of these deserve a CD release)

~Ben

I've heard the remix of "Land Ho" that was originally slated for release of Crisis? What Crisis? and eventually found its way onto the Retrospectacle anthology a few years back. The original 7" version, though, I've never heard; as far as I'm aware, that single never got a release here in the U.S., sadly.
And I've surprisingly actually never come across any of their pre-Quietest Moments material on 45, not even "Bloody Well Right," so the "Lady" 45 with "You Started Laughing" on the flip has continued to elude me as well. Go figure why that one has still yet to make its way onto a CD.

I've heard the remix of "Land Ho" that was originally slated for release of Crisis? What Crisis? and eventually found its way onto the Retrospectacle anthology a few years back. The original 7" version, though, I've never heard; as far as I'm aware, that single never got a release here in the U.S., sadly.
And I've surprisingly actually never come across any of their pre-Quietest Moments material on 45, not even "Bloody Well Right," so the "Lady" 45 with "You Started Laughing" on the flip has continued to elude me as well. Go figure why that one has still yet to make its way onto a CD.
Yes, the 1975 remake of "Land Ho" appears as track 3 on the first disc in the Retrospectacle anthology.

~Ben

Here's a bit of Unobtanium that comes to mind:

Who here has the Toni Basil single "Breakaway" b/w "I'm 28"? (A&M 45 791)

-- Dave

Another Unicorn in the A&M Singles World:

Karen Brian "Love Me Not Tomorrow" (orig. by We Five, written by John Stewart) and "Mornin' I'll Be Movin' On" (Paul Williams & Roger Nichols, the latter who produced both songs on this long, lost '45') A&M 1071

-- Dave

Back
Top Bottom