Heard Carpenters

And, thanks Jeff, for appreciation of my small contributions.
Although I must confess to being somewhat of a lunatic where it comes to K&R !
Actually, I rather appreciate 'belonging' to this forum.

Gary, If you're a lunatic and I'm in a padded room I guess we'd be great dorm mates. Judging from the international sensation of all things CarpenterS the cuckoo house better have lots-o-beds. However, I feel due my own wing at this stage of the game.

Whoa. Did you read her response: "As a singer, I feel like the drums are my security blanket. They help me sing, in a way; I feel as though I can be comfortable, even vulnerable – I've got this shield. It's important to me to have both things going on at the same time, the singing and drumming, but it's hard..."?

Seems she has more in common with Karen than she may know.

Lisa Stansfield picked Superstar on the "Tracks of my Years" segment of Ken Bruce's BBC Radio 2 earlier this week. She seemed a little clueless - commenting about the energy her voice had despite suffering from bulemia (which wasn't the case back in 1971). Still, it was good to hear a singer choosing a Carpenters song.

Interesting blog with Carpenters tribute near half-page mark:
http://thebridgeradio.net/2014/02/the-big-decades-2nd-march-2014/

Just listening back to this now, I was going to skip to the Carpenters segment but it's great from the very beginning, they play the best choice of music (George Benson, Carpenters, Chris de Burgh, Michael Jackson...really great songs!). I'm listening to the entire show instead and will be tuning in regularly from now on! Great stuff, thanks for posting.

Now here's an "AT 40 Extra", the song was the highest debut in the "Hot 100" that debuted at # 74. Here is "Only Yesterday" by The Carpenters. Heard on "Casey Kasem's American Top 40: The 70's" from March 29, 1975. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

A little off topic, but I actually heard a Corrs song on the sound system in the Walmart parking lot today. I'm on a roll.

thanks so much, Gary. I'd never heard the first one. . . Since they were speaking of disappointment at Only Yesterday only getting to No. 4 I'm guessing this must have been from late '75 - early '76 right? Otherwise they would have mentioned INTBIL or AYGFLIALS as their big disappointments.

" Wow. Herb Alpert originally said "Oh, do you sing too?" to Karen. Boy he must have been bowled over the first time he heard her sing."

^^ And ever since!

Perhaps this is familiar to many here, but Ned Nickerson has just posted (2 April 2014)
two youtube videos of a program entitled "One on One", hosted by John Tesh, interviewing Richard Carpenter.
Fascinating viewing, and new to me, as maybe to some others.

Perhaps this is familiar to many here, but Ned Nickerson has just posted (2 April 2014)
two youtube videos of a program entitled "One on One", hosted by John Tesh, interviewing Richard Carpenter.
Fascinating viewing, and new to me, as maybe to some others.
Just watched them, thanks. Regardless of how you feel about the process of psychotherapy, I always find myself thinking what if they had had the antidepressant and anxiety meds back in the 1970's that we have available today. That whole family could have turned around. But it's just another 'what if'. So sad.

I caught the last part of a BBC radio 2 show with Paul Williams. He is promoting the Happy Days Musical that's touring the U.K. They played portions of popular songs that he has written, including Rainy Days. :)

I caught the last part of a BBC radio 2 show with Paul Williams. He is promoting the Happy Days Musical that's touring the U.K. They played portions of popular songs that he has written, including Rainy Days. :)

What show was it on? I'll have a listen on I player.

Back
Top Bottom