Do you know anyone who has collected all (or most) things "Carpenter"?

Here is something interesting today on ebay :
--I do not have one of these in my memorabilia stash, but I've got the photo of them in one of the tour Scan0057.jpg books (Now&Then)!
Interesting to note the seller listed them 4 times with no bidders. Perhaps he was asking a little too much?

I am seriously interested in the promo CD on there with their signatures at the bottom right corner.
1.I wonder if they are genuine
2. If they are then did Richard and Karen sign all their promos (unlikely?)

I would love to hear from all the great folks here what they think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251500727028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:
I am seriously interested in the promo CD on there with their signatures at the bottom right corner.
1.I wonder if they are genuine
2. If they are then did Richard and Karen sign all their promos (unlikely?)

I would love to hear from all the great folks here what they think
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251500727028?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
This CD is from 1992, so of course Karen didn't sign it (being as she had already been gone for 9 years at that point)! The signatures on that CD booklet will be a printed reproduction of their actual signatures, like those on the pictures that the fan club used to sell.

I agree with Murray, this would be printed reproduction signatures. I know earlier I said if I had the money.....after rational sets in...I probably wouldn't pay more than $59.00 for this. The fact that it's a promo is really the only thing going for this disc. The songs can all be found on other compilations. If one is considering spending over $400.00 for this....I would instead recommend an OOP Carpenters box set.

In addition, for me...the negative feedback from that seller would be enough for me to opt out.

I agree with Murray, this would be printed reproduction signatures. I know earlier I said if I had the money.....after rational sets in...I probably wouldn't pay more than $59.00 for this. The fact that it's a promo is really the only thing going for this disc. The songs can all be found on other compilations. If one is considering spending over $400.00 for this....I would instead recommend an OOP Carpenters box set.

In addition, for me...the negative feedback from that seller would be enough for me to opt out.

Thank you all for the very informative reply's, I will give this one a miss in light of the info.
Interestingly I have in my small collection the 12" boxed set with the 12 disk's serial number 1869. What value should i place on this for my insurance premiums?

I notice in Newsletter #33, January 1974, that there are two styles of Carpenters Deck of Playing Cards:
White Cards with Orange Logo (have these)
and,
Orange Cards with White Logo (want these)
So, now I have yet another item to search for !
Hunting is half the fun.

I notice in Newsletter #33, January 1974, that there are two styles of Carpenters Deck of Playing Cards:
White Cards with Orange Logo (have these)
and,
Orange Cards with White Logo (want these)
So, now I have yet another item to search for !
Hunting is half the fun.

Yes indeed Gary I must agree with you, the hunt is still on for the neon sign...

Yes indeed Gary I must agree with you, the hunt is still on for the neon sign...
I've searched for the Carpenters neon for over 30 yrs. with no success. They were made for the Horizon album and given to large chain record stores like Tower. It was kind of in the shape of their logo and could display the cover as well. When Karen passed I asked A&M in they had any in their archives. I had a retail store, and know fan to them at the time. I gave their secretary a Billboard chart discography that day that she requested. She called back a couple of weeks later and couldn't locate any. I'm sure they were quickly snatched up by management if they did. I know of just one guy in L .A. with deep pockets that actually has one. He has several Magic Lamp singles too. I've never seen one at auction , or listed for sale. The search continues.

I've searched for the Carpenters neon for over 30 yrs. with no success. They were made for the Horizon album and given to large chain record stores like Tower. It was kind of in the shape of their logo and could display the cover as well. When Karen passed I asked A&M in they had any in their archives. I had a retail store, and know fan to them at the time. I gave their secretary a Billboard chart discography that day that she requested. She called back a couple of weeks later and couldn't locate any. I'm sure they were quickly snatched up by management if they did. I know of just one guy in L .A. with deep pockets that actually has one. He has several Magic Lamp singles too. I've never seen one at auction , or listed for sale. The search continues.
Hello Ken,
Thanks for the fantastic info, One more piece of the puzzle... I would sure like to know who the guy in LA who has one and the story how he got it.

A recent item, not my cup of tea, but it is interesting(Richard Carpenter Student ID Card):
Hi Gary,
Very interesting perhaps unique piece, Thank you for taking the time to list that. I shall have a bid on that one.

He also has a thank you note from Karen's Wedding listed
I wonder if that is worth an addition to my small collection?

Have a nice day:)

An auction for one of those Original Carpenters' Fan Club Watches ended at $225 (ebay May 30,2014).
Quite a hefty sum;well, for me anyway!

Hi All,

I was inspired by this thread and also Jeff's FS: CarpenterS Downey Fan Club Memorabilia thread and his recollections of meeting KC and RC.

I dug out my Carpenters collectables and thought I'd post here.

I was born in 1975 (A Horizon baby) in Cape Town, South Africa. I became a fan in 1990 after watching The Karen Carpenter Story on TV. I was transfixed.

I wrote to the Fan Club and was saddened to learn it has recently disbanded but Evelyn was so friendly, answering my many questions. One day a few months later, the doorbell rang and the postman delivered two large packages. My heart started racing when i saw the return address said Carpenter with the familiar logo and Downey, California. I carefully and eagerly ripped open the packaging to find a complete set of fan club newsletters, a promo photo from the Lovelines album, a copy of Decade, the A&M Compendium from the Horizon promotions, and three gorgeous posters - the 1978 red, white and blue pose, the inner sleeve Horizon shot and the inner sleeve shot from Made in America.

Over the years I managed to collect all the albums, including Offering on vinyl, sealed, excluding Offering, most of the CDs, box set, compilations, all the 45s I wanted, several other fan club items, promo photos, press kits, books, DVDs, magazines, both Richard and Karen's autographs, tour books, several additional posters - A Song For You inner sleeve poster, a poster of KC sitting and RC standing behind her, the MIA cover poster, Voice of the Heart poster and the book cover and much more... I have posted photos below ( I couldn't see anything about posting photos so I hope I've not broken any rules).

Over the years many fellow fans have helped me collect, purchase, shared and swapped items especially Randy Schmidt, Yuka Ogura, Don & Barb Jackson. Special mention goes to Evelyn Wallace and eBay, lol.

These are some of my treasures:

The rest of the photos:http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/nickbutler1975/slideshow/

I am still looking for the Magic Lamp single, the Boat poster from Ticket To Ride and a few fan club items and photos but I'm still young and there's always eBay still....

Hope you enjoy

Nick

Nick your collection is fantastic in breadth and scope. Excellent work! While reviewing your treasure trove I'm reminded of all the time, care and tenderness that goes into this passion.
First look I thought my God does that guy do anything else? Then it hit me...like looking in a mirror! Ohhh well, there are worse reflections out there trust me.
Thank you for sharing. That is something beeeeeeeeeeeautiful to behold. You certainly belong to the right forum. Many welcomes are coming your way and I look forward to your postings.

Great way to start my morning!

Jeff

Wow wow wow!!!!
Just when I thought it would end the gallery keeps going. I feel like I should pay you just for viewing. What an awesome collection. The round brass keychain medallion and brass logo belt buckle are very cool wish I had.

Thanks for the eye candy views...memories what memories.

Always wondered who the winning bidder was on this item:
Lot closed - Winning bid:$12,500
Estimate:
$8,000 - $10,000
Platinum and diamond ring, size 7, owned and worn by Karen Carpenter. The central marquise diamond is gauged at approximately 1.12cts and graded H-I color and VS clarity, surrounded by fourteen full-cut round and eight marquise-cut diamonds totaling 1.40cts and graded H-I color and VS clarity. The ring weighs 9.8gms. Overall condition is good and easily sized. Karen Carpenter is known as the voice of the duo The Carpenters. She is less well known as also being the drummer in the band. Her brother Richard, the other half of the duo, has said that Karen considered herself a “drummer who sang.” The Carpenters won three GRAMMY Awards, including Best New Artist of the Year in 1970. Accompanied by photographs of Carpenter wearing the ring. PROVENANCE This ring was given to Karen Carpenter's first cousin, Joan Pennisi. Pennisi was raised from the age of one by Agnes and Harold Carpenter, Karen's parents. Pennisi gave this ring to her daughter who has consigned it to this sale.
Photos: http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/66/lot/24336/

I do not know who purchased the ring at the auction house. I wonder more about who showed up at the auction house with the ring claiming that I "consigned it to this sale". This ring was sold PRIVATELY, a long time ago, to a woman who lived in Scottsdale, AZ. It was sold privately for a reason. I would never auction off a personal item like this "to the highest bidder".
But, of course, once you sell an item, it is out of your hands. However, some person (or people) had quite a nerve to impersonate me at an auction house. They probably forged my signature on the bill of sale. Not nice.

Susan (Joanie's daughter)

An acetate is a test pressing on a hard surface. It is used to evaluate how well the record stamper will perform. Often, record promoters, knowing they had a hot commodity in an upcoming record, would physically lift these and rush them to their favored radio station.

Acetates don't generally sound all that good. Test pressings on vinyl have better fidelity.

Harry

An interesting item, sketch of John Denver and Karen Carpenter Costumes for the First Television Special,
by the Costume Designer Bill Belew:
Description:
"#170. Bill Belew costume sketch of for The Carpenter’s Special with John Denver. (ABC TV, 1976) Original Bill Belew costume sketch of Karen Carpenter and John Denver in the Carpenters Very First Television Special. Accomplished in pencil and artist markers on 12 x 16.5 in. artist paper leaf. Featuring the couple dancing in formal evening wear, Denver in tux and tails and Carpenter in feather skirted, elegant white gown. Signed by Bill Belew at lower right and bearing a production notation “Carpenter’s Special w/ John Denver” in his hand. The sketch is tipped to a black 15 x 20 in. backing board. In very good condition. $300 - $500."

View Item Here(bottom of page):
http://www.invaluable.com/auction-l...ketch-of-for-the-carpenter-s-170-c-8ec4907b1d

I had a yesterday once more promotional poster and the voice of the heart poster.
Somewhere through the years and then moves they were discarded.
Wish that I still had them

Speaking of that Magic Lamp single, have we ever explored why the recording with the lower matrix number, "I'll Be Yours" (ML-7942) was NOT the a-side. According to Richard in the liner notes for ESSENTIAL COLLECTION and FROM THE TOP, he seemed to indicate that maybe "I'll Be Yours" WOULD have been a better choice for an a-side.

MagicLampIllBeYoursLabel.jpg
MagicLampLookingForLoveLabel.jpg
(Pictures from above auction listing.)

Harry

Back
Top Bottom