Will Richard Release a 50th Anniversary Collection

THAT Real Love was the first one I thought. Mr. J, could you tell us about the style of "Don't Leave Me". Jazz? Something else?

Wow! I had no idea Carpenters cut 'Real Love'. I wonder why it's not included in the Mook listing. I'm sure it's not the only tune from the studio vaults that's not listed.

THAT Real Love was the first one I thought. Mr. J, could you tell us about the style of "Don't Leave Me". Jazz? Something else?
I don't have any information about the style or arrangement on "Don't Leave Me"-but it's definitely not a jazz piece.Richard loves jazz-but he absolutely doesn't like this particular recording.
Wow! I had no idea Carpenters cut 'Real Love'. I wonder why it's not included in the Mook listing. I'm sure it's not the only tune from the studio vaults that's not listed.
"Real Love" was listed in the Mook-along with several other Passage outtakes.

But,there were a few vault tracks that weren't listed in the Mook. The three outtakes that were featured on Interpretations weren't listed("Without A Song","From This Moment On",'Trying to Get The Feeling")-and there might be a few more.

Interesting. I've got my list someplace of all the songs listed. That one escaped me. I'm sure 'Trying to Get the Feeling Again' wasn't listed because it was still 'lost' at the time the list was compiled. It wasn't discovered again until 1991.

If someone were willing to pay the production costs, I'm sure that Richard would jump at the chance to screw with the Carpenters recordings one more time. Now that A&M is part of the UMG family, they've got deep pockets and if they think that money can be made.......

I don't think we will see any more US releases...not even for the 50th, but....

I would like to see a CD with 20ish tracks including the following:
2 previously unreleased Carpenters tracks
2-3 tracks that haven't been released often, i.e. Kiss Me...
5 tracks that would be "acoustic"...stripped down to Karen, Richard on the piano and maybe bass and drums, i.e. You're the One
5 tracks that would be turned into "dance" mixes. Richard could be executive producer, but use 5 current "hot" producers
2 alternative recordings of released songs
1-2 songs from Karen's solo album, finished.

just my .02 worth..

Jonathan

While I like the idea of stripped-down acoustic tracks I don't think that'll ever happen. Richard's big talent, after all, is arranging and orchestrating; so for him to toss out all that stuff would be probably that last thing he'd want to do.

As for "dance" mixes with today's hot producers........I think he would throw up at that idea. It worked well on Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream album but I just don't think the Carpenters music is right for that kind of treatment. I could be wrong.

On page 45, of Little Girl Blue: 1967 "Spectrum cut several demos at United Audio Recording Studio, including,
All I Can Do, All Of My Life, Another Song, What's The Use and Candy (later became One Love).
If these recordings exist, it would be quite interesting to hear them.
Does any one have further information regarding these recorded demos?

Richard has ALL of these recordings. So sad they're just sitting on a shelf. Maybe someday.....
You inspired me, A&M Retro!
For better or worse... :)

Someday, all we can hope for is someday
Someday, all Richard could offer is someday
Please say that we'll still be here when someday comes
Promise me this and we won't miss to keep Carpenters' songs
Always close to us
Someday

Another possibility for the 50th Anniversary , per Little Girl Blue, page 57: "Three very distinct arrangements of
Close To You were put to tape, the first with Karen singing in a style similar to that of Harry Nilsson.
the second attempt brought in a different pianist..."
Again, the question is: Do these alternative takes exist?

Another possibility for the 50th Anniversary , per Little Girl Blue, page 57: "Three very distinct arrangements of
Close To You were put to tape, the first with Karen singing in a style similar to that of Harry Nilsson.

That was what I was thinking of when I mentioned alternate takes

I'm absolutely sure that they do exist. I'm also absolutely sure that Richard will never release them. In his own perfectionist mind, why would he ever release alternate takes of the song that was responsible for launching their entire career? That would be like bastardising their entire raison d'etre. When it comes to alternate vocal takes of their hits post 'Close To You', all he's ever offered up to the fans is the odd spliced word or vocal line here or there, in order to polish a song up to perfection. Never a complete alternate vocal take.

Alternate takes give fans a different, fresh perspective on an existing work. Beatles 'Anthology' was exactly that, and rabid fans (myself included) bought it all. And that was a total of 6 CDs! It's AWESOME. Hearing Carpenters alternates would be a fascinating listen. The original versions aren't going anywhere. It would be a very welcome addition to the Carpenters recorded history.

Alternate takes give fans a different, fresh perspective on an existing work. Beatles 'Anthology' was exactly that, and rabid fans (myself included) bought it all. And that was a total of 6 CDs! It's AWESOME. Hearing Carpenters alternates would be a fascinating listen. The original versions aren't going anywhere. It would be a very welcome addition to the Carpenters recorded history.

I'm right there with you! I'd eat it all up insatiably. I often wonder what Richard thinks of the Beatles Anthologies. Hours and hours of outtakes. Richard's mind would probably boggle at the thought:phones:

As I read, and re-read , various material it has become apparent that there is (may be)
quite a bit of music that remains unreleased.
It had not previously registered with me, until I started this re-reading, as to how much could still be 'on the shelf'.
What a shame.
Even an alternate take on an already known 'hit' would be something to behold.
(But, perhaps, only for 'us' die-hard fans. Many folks (99.99%) probably would not care.)
I'm beginning to feel 'hungry' for more; and, every time I listen to Karen's voice, on any song, I get that 'hunger'.
(Maybe it's the old-age thing,again.)
That Voice, it is simply incomparable.
About as close to heaven on earth as we can come.

I wonder what these unreleased recordings sound like if the best of them sound like "Leave Yesterday Behind." I kinda believe Richard. I honestly think no vocal is still shelved that are in the same caliber as Where Do I Go From Here or You're the One.

While I like the idea of stripped-down acoustic tracks I don't think that'll ever happen. Richard's big talent, after all, is arranging and orchestrating; so for him to toss out all that stuff would be probably that last thing he'd want to do.

As for "dance" mixes with today's hot producers........I think he would throw up at that idea. It worked well on Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream album but I just don't think the Carpenters music is right for that kind of treatment. I could be wrong.
The dance mixes idea is a weird concept-how would you take a bunch of torch songs & standards and turn them into dance songs? I couldn't imagine something like "I Can Dream,Can't I" or "For All We Know" with a dance beat attached to it.
On page 45, of Little Girl Blue: 1967 "Spectrum cut several demos at United Audio Recording Studio, including,
All I Can Do, All Of My Life, Another Song, What's The Use and Candy (later became One Love).
If these recordings exist, it would be quite interesting to hear them.
Does any one have further information regarding these recorded demos?
Those demos were all cut during the same session as "You'll Love Me" in May 1967.Richard has the master tapes for the nine tracks recorded in that session.

Well when I said "I could be wrong," I was thinking of the myriad number of "dance" records that have been crafted from unlikely sources. I have a CD by a group called "Bingoboys" that managed to make a very catchy single out of a spoken-word dance instruction record. Or look at what was done with Beethoven's Fifth Symphony, or Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra." So I have no doubt that a savvy producer could slice-n-dice just about anything into just about anything else.

Thanks, MrJ, for the additional information regarding those May 1967 recordings.
I appreciate that this forum affords each day an opportunity to learn something new!

I wonder what these unreleased recordings sound like if the best of them sound like "Leave Yesterday Behind." I kinda believe Richard. I honestly think no vocal is still shelved that are in the same caliber as Where Do I Go From Here or You're the One.
I may be in the minority here - but I think 'Leave Yesterday Behind' is a little piece of magic... It's a unique little melody and I think Karen's interpretation of the lyric is as usual, intimate and quite lovely. Is it a top 5 - maybe not, but I loved hearing something new for that all important "first" time again.

Back
Top Bottom