Will Richard Release a 50th Anniversary Collection

Yeah, 'For All We Know' was definitely not the best choice for a Carpenters remix. But there are many, many songs they recorded that would sound amazing with the proper instrumentation backing Karen up. Her voice is ethereal, and it would be a very nice fit if done tastefully.

No!!!! Please make them stop!!
Listening to this c**p is so painful!
Hard to decide which is worse, this or the RC sanctioned Bettie Serveert version of "For All We Know" on "If I Were A Carpenter".

OK, so maybe the dance mixes would be a bad idea...hahahahaha
okay - - it had it's rough moments - but I actually thought there were parts that had promise... they could have done some amazing stuff with the wah-ahh ahh ahh's though... missed opportunity. i wouldn't mind hearing what someone really really good would do to a song or two... as long as it would end up in clubs and get C's more airplay and interest - why not?

No, I don't want belches and burps. I'm not even going to address that.

Just to add a little humor to this discussion - we DID get a rather loud belch/burp at the conclusion of the "I Got Rhythm" track on AS TIME GOES BY. If that's not a loud belch, then what is it? Hmmm?

Harry

That's true, but those are finished versions. What could have been destroyed are the multi-track masters, meaning it would now be impossible to have the original version of just the vocals, say, or just the keyboards. I'd assume there MUST be backups of these things out there, but who knows?

Did you all hear the interview with Hal Blaine and Joe Osborn that was on "The Download" podcast last October? They talked a bit about Richard's long-talked about new Christmas albums. The major points being:
1. The music is all new songs written by Carpenter/Bettis.
2. Richard found a new vocalist in Nashville but he needed to "make sure" that she didn't sound anything like Karen.
3. The arrangements and so on are very complicated. Joe Osborn said he practiced for the sessions, even though he usually never practices for sessions.
4. It took fore3ver just to get the first track done, but they eventually got ten tracks completed, and Richard is "working on the vocals now" (Joe said).
5. The songs are all vocals, no instrumentals.

I remember Richard was working on a Christmas album at Capitol Recording studios in about 2001 or 2002. One of the vocalists was Petula Clark. Is this new Christmas music that has been discussed here the same project. Or is it a different one ? Were there several Christmas projects ? I remember Petula mentioning she recorded at least 3 songs in those sessions. 2 Christmas and another new one "All Those Years Ago." All Those Years Ago ended up being released on a Petula compilation on Sanctuary Records in the UK. I believe the titles of the Christmas songs were "Together At Christmas" and "December Morn."

I remember Richard was working on a Christmas album at Capitol Recording studios in about 2001 or 2002. One of the vocalists was Petula Clark. Is this new Christmas music that has been discussed here the same project. Or is it a different one ? Were there several Christmas projects ? I remember Petula mentioning she recorded at least 3 songs in those sessions. 2 Christmas and another new one "All Those Years Ago." All Those Years Ago ended up being released on a Petula compilation on Sanctuary Records in the UK. I believe the titles of the Christmas songs were "Together At Christmas" and "December Morn."
Richard recorded a Christmas album in 2001 "Together At Christmas Again"-that was subsequently shelved.Petula did work with RC on that album.The title track is available on youtube.

Another Christmas project has been in the works since 2008-and is evidently in various stages of completion.According to Richard's statements from an interview earlier this year,it doesn't seem likely that this Christmas project will see a release,either.

I believe that Richard has not been able to find a label that wants to release either album.

A good web developer could have it online with just a few hours of work. Or he could put it on iTunes, Amazon, etc etc. I assume he's paid all the people who helped record the album so why not release it? Especially when he knows fans are asking for it. It'd sure be better than releasing "Yesterday Once More" yet again.

One thing I didn't mention from the interview that was quoted above was, Joe Osborn mentioned that the sessions were labeled "Christmas 2012."

For me, the entire attraction to the Carpenters sound is Karen's voice and Karen's voice alone in overdubs or Karen's voice mixed with Richard. I enjoy the songs of Richard alone as long as I know a song with Karen is next in rotation. I would rather hear the unreleased tracks of Karen as solo and Karen and Richard together than anything. I would even loose sleep in anticipation of the release of one of these eventual gems. As long as I know those exist, that is what I long to hear and that is what I would purchase above all else.

I know it's a little soon, but 2019 will be here before you know it.

With that in mind, I often wonder if anything will be done to commemorate such an event.
Anything spectacular would more than likely have to take a lot of planning.
The 35th and the 40th were acknowledged in one way or another.
The Japanese market was offered a pretty good box package containing all their studio albums,
along with a booklet containing comments from RC and rare photographs.
I think a 50th Anniversary package would be ideal for the American market,
I certainly would own one, and I believe there is still an American market out there for such a release.
I've heard it said that the Japanese market is still the biggest,
but that doesn't mean that there should be nothing left for us.
I've done my searching for these box sets through various internet markets,
and what I could find is well out of my reach (financially, that is).
Just saying....
We still love the Carpenters here in America.
Let's not forget where it all started for them.

I believe that Richard has not been able to find a label that wants to release either album.

I think this is the perfect thread response to tag onto the tail end of by making one simple statement: If Richard had ANYTHING of Karen's leftover sitting on a multi-track tape or master-transfer, the likelihood that a label would consider a release knowing that we would be hearing another track or two of Karen could certainly be a potential selling point. That being said, clearly Richard isn't jumping at any potential opportunity of releasing anything, so I think the question as to whether there's much leftover (at least Christmas related) with Karen on it is a moot point.

A fiftieth anniversary release in some way, shape, or form would be amazing (as we all know!). However, my respect for Richard's decision to retire would outweigh any disappointment at not getting any new material/releases. :)

On another note, would somebody here mind enlightening me on the story of "The Rainbow Connection" and why Karen didn't want it released? It seems quite funny that the song that reintroduced me to the Carpenters was never intended to be heard...

On another note, would somebody here mind enlightening me on the story of "The Rainbow Connection" and why Karen didn't want it released? It seems quite funny that the song that reintroduced me to the Carpenters was never intended to be heard...

I don't think we really know the answer, all we do know is Richard says Karen didn't like it and I think he said Karen would come down and get him if he ever released it. I think it's also been discussed somewhere in the Joe Osborn thread that he mentioned a "session from hell" in an interview but I'm not sure if it was determined that it was during the time of MIA sessions, it's possible The Rainbow Connection was from that session from hell as it was an outtake from the MIA session. It makes you wonder why else would he say Karen would come down and get him? Unless she expressly advised Richard to never release the song which after hearing it makes no sense because she sounds lovely on it. So there has to be something else about that track she didn't like but there were other songs she didn't like either like Solitaire so it's all a mystery.

I don't think we really know the answer, all we do know is Richard says Karen didn't like it and I think he said Karen would come down and get him if he ever released it. I think it's also been discussed somewhere in the Joe Osborn thread that he mentioned a "session from hell" in an interview but I'm not sure if it was determined that it was during the time of MIA sessions, it's possible The Rainbow Connection was from that session from hell as it was an outtake from the MIA session. It makes you wonder why else would he say Karen would come down and get him? Unless she expressly advised Richard to never release the song which after hearing it makes no sense because she sounds lovely on it. So there has to be something else about that track she didn't like but there were other songs she didn't like either like Solitaire so it's all a mystery.

Thanks for answering. I guess there are some things that will always remain a mystery (not limited to Richard's potential plans :D).

I think it's also been discussed somewhere in the Joe Osborn thread that he mentioned a "session from hell" in an interview but I'm not sure if it was determined that it was during the time of MIA sessions, it's possible The Rainbow Connection was from that session from hell as it was an outtake from the MIA session. It makes you wonder why else would he say Karen would come down and get him? Unless she expressly advised Richard to never release the song which after hearing it makes no sense because she sounds lovely on it. So there has to be something else about that track she didn't like but there were other songs she didn't like either like Solitaire so it's all a mystery.

The "session from hell" reference Joe made was regarding the struggle that took place in the studio the next morning to record the track to a song after he (along with a couple of buddies) had been out drinking and had had a few too many. It took longer than usual and everyone was getting frustrated that the rhythm tracks weren't coming together as quickly and seamlessly as they should have been, considering it wasn't a particularly difficult chart. After several hours (and pots of coffee), they managed to get the track completed! :)

I'm not sure if it was determined that it was during the time of MIA sessions, it's possible The Rainbow Connection was from that session from hell as it was an outtake from the MIA session.

The "session from hell" was in relation to one of the April 1982 sessions. I'm sure Richard regrets that now, considering it was to be the very last time he'd be in the studio actively recording with Karen (not counting the later occasion where they'd listen to the 1982 playbacks).

I think there's going to be a lot we have to sit through between now and 2019.
Who knows what state of things in the future will be, but from current trends it doesn't necessarily look too promising for our favourite duo.

Of course Carpenters have been a type of constant in our lives and it would be nice to see something or anything done for a 50th commemoration no matter what's going on then.

I would be the first one to say that I'd want to hear an outtake/alternative take/demo...

However...

When you look into issues within the current music industry...from that perspective you begin to have doubts.
Certainly in regards to seeing anything "new" from Carpenters.

From Richard's attitude towards the business and the types of people that head the labels now may not have any kind of focus in that.

The area of posthumous releases is a strange one.

As an example, with Michael Jackson I was very excited at first to hear "new" music back in 2010 and then last year, but the estate really messed with his legacy. To each their own, but MJ enthusiasts weren't too impressed with how those two albums have been handled. The artist simply isn't there to have a say. I think it's the case that most people do not remember MJ for the posthumous releases...it's the music he made during his lifetime.

That's probably what we need to emphasize and celebrate.
It's the same with Carpenters, and if there was a 50th it would probably be along the same line as the 40th. Same remixes Richard's already done.
There may not be any surprises.

The legendary Quincy Jones said this year, "Honey, we have no music industry".

Over the past 15 years album sales have dropped substantially. Once the internet bloomed the entire product (possibly the only product) the music industry had was suddenly free. Music was valued less and less because you could find a way to share everything. People defined their own way of supporting an artist, but continuing to purchase music wasn't really one of them.

As it stands now a cup of coffee costs more than a song. Something that can take a lot of time and effort like a piece of music doesn't have much value.
The artist these days, as it's been put to me in a college setting and from my research, make most of their money from touring, merchandise, and now streaming services.

It's highly unlikely for there to be any kind of touring in the future for Carpenters unless we fantasize about hologram technology.

It's about how you connect to your audience mostly in the form of live performance and the rest of the packages comes after. I don't know how many people can only rely on making albums these days.

As you've noticed Richard is out of the fan world, and he was never really into that in the first place. It was Karen that championed that side of things.
He's probably not interested in any of it right now when thinking about leaks and all of it. What it means to be an artist today has evolved a lot. It was a different time back in the 70s.
For us (Carpenters fans) the only thing we have to look for is a compilation release and anything new would be attached to that.
It would be nice, but I think we have to consider what's stacked against us.

The industry relies on familiarity a lot, so the idea of an unheard song may not appeal to them. Maybe if it was a cover of a song it might have more of a chance.

The traditions of "the album" is fading away. Some people argue that point, but I for one notice the changes going on.

I don't know if there's any type of contract that says there needs to be a decade to decade release of Carpenters music.
For a while there was word of something to that effect, but who knows if it's ongoing or if Richard has anything to do with it.

What I'm saying is it would be a miracle (I never use that word by the way) to see anything upcoming.

I would surely hope that such a milestone of a career should warrant a 50 year anniversary celebration. We've had just about everything you can think of so it would have to be really special. Maybe he should break out some of those old videos or write a book. Anything to celebrate one of the most popular groups of all time!!! Personally, I would love to hear some of the songs he didn't remix get that treatment and complete all the remixes for those of us who love the remixes. There are a few I would love to hear!!!
Hey Neighbor! Does anyone wonder why Richard is so restrictive about licensing their music? Seems like I have heard Karen or the Carpenters referenced in shows like SIX FEET UNDER or THIS IS 40 among many others and often wished their music was featured in the soundtracks. Not saying for him to open the licensing flood gates for everything, but it would be nice to see the Carpenters get exposure of their great work to the younger generations who might not have experienced their great music.

Quoting, here from the Huffington Post 40th Anniversary Interview:
Richard Carpenter:
"Between going through not only my photos, but those from the A&M archives, exhaustive.
I did find a few I hadn't seen before, and had copies made; dated for posterity or...just in case...the 50th!".

Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/emhuffpost-exclusiveem-th_b_201408.html

Well, that does show he's was mindful about this very topic which is nice to see.
He's the kind of guy who surprises you with his change of heart at various times and you never know.
If anything... I assume yeah it'll probably be similar to any other compilation we've had before.

I can't see a three disc set including ten more songs to make it 50/50.
Not that idea again. It might happen to be one disc packaged as "50th anniversary".
Nice for the public, but for long time fans here it won't mean much to the collection.

I fantasize about another "Interpretations" type scenario though. :oops:
2019 would be a good time to do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom