TIME - Who Do You Love?*

Did y'all notice how at ease Richard looks throughout the viddy? Gone is the squinting, artificial awkward smile or frown. I do like the trio of Rich on odubs. His mouth while singing here moves much like Karen's expressions. Certainly were related weren't em?

I listened to 'Time' non-stop upon its release 8-31-87. I liked it and was excited for Richard and his fans when it came out. I remember being at Penny Lane Records in Kansas City, Mo., and trying to sneak the LP onto the Top 50 wall of albums. Both times I did that, the manager would catch it in a matter of minutes and effectively remove it. Hey, I tried.

I still love the instrumental 'Time' and 'In Love Alone', as well as 'Something In Your Eyes'. 'Calling Your Name Again' is also a beautiful song, but Richard is not a lead singer. If he'd focused on one lead singer or a variety of them, the album would have done infinitely better!

Rich may not be a lead singer but he gave rise to that SOUND. The unmistakable, distinctive track that loops thru my head unceasingly. Anyplace he wants to oooh and ahhhh with himself that transports that quality to mine ears I'll certainly be listenin'. Whether it's Karen, Richard or a combo of two or even the copycats that have RC's production stamp I gotta revel in the mix. The magic I associate with anything Carpenter(S) feeds my hunger. Now, if he'd leave Claire alone maybe he could find the key to that GD vault.

Jeff

News to me. I'm w/o a clue. Perhaps as time goes on more will be revealed. I just dunno. Maybe it's a 'if the shoe fit's kinda thing? Again, I dunno. Just lost in a world of speculation and published reports am I...

Jeff

"Time" the title instrumental song from the album is the track I love. Dusty's song is great. Dionne's song makes me miss Karen. And RC's lead vocals just don't do it for me. Sorry, Karen set the bar very high.

Given that they hardly had a great track record on this front, I think that A&M did quite a good job with the cover art for Time. Richard looks reasonably contemporary for the late 1980s, happy and not awkward, plus they've managed to weave in his love of classic cars. Far better than the monstrosity of a cover they came up with when they finally released Karen's solo album.

The lack of credit for Dusty Springfield on the 'Something in Your Eyes' single sleeve is absolutely baffling, not only because she fully deserved a credit, being the lead singer, but because it could only have helped to draw more attention to the single, given her own hiatus from the music scene beforehand. Was it really done as revenge for her refusing to go on TV to help promote it? I don't think the song really had much potential to be a hit, but highlighting her contribution would surely have given it more of a chance.

At the risk of going down yet another tangent on the subject of Time, does anybody know if 'In Love Alone' was released as a single? I distinctly recall reading that it was released as the second single in the UK and not charting, but I've never seen a copy of it and there doesn't appear to be any trace of it online.

At the risk of going down yet another tangent on the subject of Time, does anybody know if 'In Love Alone' was released as a single? I distinctly recall reading that it was released as the second single in the UK and not charting, but I've never seen a copy of it and there doesn't appear to be any trace of it online.

I've never heard about it being released as a single in the UK, but it did make it to the B-side of 'Calling Your Name Again' released in Australia in 1987 (and there's no credit on the 45 for Dionne Warwick either!)

Last edited:
I have a US promo 45 on the label it's marked Double Sided Single it contains "Calling Your Name Again" b/w "Time" AM-2998. I love these 2 tracks!!

I personally totally enjoyed ( and still do ) The whole Time album. I was 20 when it was released and the single " Something in your eyes" was one of my favorite standouts ( and Dusty springfield really gave a Great performance) had Karen Lived this would have been a major hit. In my opinion. And Herb Alpert's Horn solo on " When Time Was All We Had". Proved to me that Herb still Believed in what Richard was doing. And "In Love Alone " and" Who do You Love" as well as "Calling Your Name again." Are also my standouts as well as the title song " Time". It really is one of my favorite 80s MOR/POP albums.

I personally totally enjoyed ( and still do ) The whole Time album. I was 20 when it was released and the single " Something in your eyes" was one of my favorite standouts ( and Dusty springfield really gave a Great performance) had Karen Lived this would have been a major hit. In my opinion. And Herb Alpert's Horn solo on " When Time Was All We Had". Proved to me that Herb still Believed in what Richard was doing. And "In Love Alone " and" Who do You Love" as well as "Calling Your Name again." Are also my standouts as well as the title song " Time". It really is one of my favorite 80s MOR/POP albums.

I think Who Do You Love features the best lead vocal from Richard on the whole album. It suits his baritone voice far better than the higher key nasal sound of the other tracks. Incidentally, it was pulled as a single in Japan...where else? :)

Richard+Carpenter+Who+Do+You+Love+320898-991.jpg

I used to listen to Who Do You Love in my car on a cassette tape over and over for I like the harmony overdubs on the last of the chorus on the word love. I never thought it would chart but I liked it as I did when Karen and Richard sang the chorus of What's the Use (I've got plenty of mountains....) and Don't Be Afraid on the word love, on Ticket To Ride. In other words, I liked it as a good album song. Being hungry for Carpenters music I liked Time. But it also made me miss Karen even more. And, I was happy to see all the publicity on the evening magazine shows.

Mr J. once said it sold very little but I had it on cassette, album, and CD, as most Carpenters projects.

Craig

I love the vocal work on "Who Do You Love?"! One of Richard's best, I would have to say, and how could you go wrong with all those oversubscribed? It stood out as the tune that really caught my ear when I first heard the album, so it doesn't surprise me that it was a single in Japan. (Does anybody know the charting, if any?)

I can't remember where else I'd posted this, but I'll say it again. Years ago a sealed copy of "Time" sold on eBay for just over $400. I mentioned it to Richard and he was pleasantly surprised and delighted. Amidst all of the mixed reviews, I'm thankful he at least gets to see that regardless, it still has value for many and something he can still be proud of.

Back
Top Bottom