⭐ Official Review [Album]: "TIME" (SP 5117/CD 5117/DX 1687)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 8 12.5%

Votes: 13 20.3%

Votes: 24 37.5%

Votes: 12 18.8%

Votes: 7 10.9%

• Total voters
People's singing voices don't work that way. Some people have bigger ranges than others, and generally your range only widens with singing lessons. My range was pushed up and down greatly by singing teachers. Vocally most people don't reach their peak until late their late 30's and then into their 50's. But after 63 it's all down hill. It's to do with getting old and nothing esle, and there's nothing you can do about it. Some people can sing well past 63, but they are lucky. Infact Karen didn't have a huge range, nearly all Carpenters songs are recorded between bottom E (below middle C) and A above middle C. And I mean nearly all, it least 75%. Infact the best way to find which key the Carpenters are singing in is to place the bottom and top notes of the song on those 2 notes!

People's singing voices don't work that way. Some people have bigger ranges than others, and generally your range only widens with singing lessons. My range was pushed up and down greatly by singing teachers. Vocally most people don't reach their peak until late their late 30's and then into their 50's. But after 63 it's all down hill. It's to do with getting old and nothing esle, and there's nothing you can do about it. Some people can sing well past 63, but they are lucky. Infact Karen didn't have a huge range, nearly all Carpenters songs are recorded between bottom E (below middle C) and A above middle C. And I mean nearly all, it least 75%. Infact the best way to find which key the Carpenters are singing in is to place the bottom and top notes of the song on those 2 notes!

Karen once said that one of the reasons for singing lessons with Frank Pooler was to increase her range to 3 octaves. It must have worked. According to Richard, Karen's recording range spanned from a D below middle C to a high F. That is a substantial three-octave + range, especially for a pop singer. But then Karen was no ordinary pop singer.

Also, I don't understand why you think the age of 63 is so magical.

Last edited:
As I'm watching the (NedNickerson Youtube) Hour Magazine-Gary Collins Interview with Richard Carpenter,1987:
Nice interview with Richard, by the way,
Q:Gary Collins : "What do your parents think of the album (Time)?
A:Richard Carpenter : "Well, of course, they're big fans, so they like it very much."
Q: "Had you always planned on doing an album by yourself?
A: "No, I never thought of a solo album when Karen was with us."

In Love Alone
was written for Karen. Sadly she never heard the song or recorded it.

Actually I asked John [Bettis] this very question in my recent interview with him and he stated that the song was not In Love Alone, and that the song that had been rumored as such was "tucked away in the tragedy debris". He could not give me the actual title of the song or verify if it was ever far enough along to have one.

Chris,
the idea stems from Richard Carpenter,
as quoted from the October 26,1987 People Magazine article:
" In Love Alone, recorded on the new album, was written in 1982 especially for Karen by Richard and lyricist John Bettis, but she didn't live to hear it.
"We'd invited Karen to a Christmas party we were having here so we could play it for her," says Richard.
"But it was pouring pitchforks, and she didn't want to drive all the way from her apartment.
I never really saw her by a piano after that where I could play it for her. "

It did seem to me when I heard the interview with John Bettis that he was quite confused at one point about the song in question that was written for Karen and whether it was 'In Love Alone' or another track. He decided in the end it was a different one but Richard seems more sure in his recollection.

Chris,
the idea stems from Richard Carpenter,
as quoted from the October 26,1987 People Magazine article:
" In Love Alone, recorded on the new album, was written in 1982 especially for Karen by Richard and lyricist John Bettis, but she didn't live to hear it.
"We'd invited Karen to a Christmas party we were having here so we could play it for her," says Richard.
"But it was pouring pitchforks, and she didn't want to drive all the way from her apartment.
I never really saw her by a piano after that where I could play it for her. "

Yeah, I too agree that it seemed a little odd...

I got the same impression that John Bettis may have been confused creating what seemed like he may have known what the title of the tragedy debris song really was but didn't want to say because he knew that would only create requests to Richard begging for this title to be completed. (even without Karen). Perhaps there was a different track written that is considered the tragedy debris song.

We bring up the inquires & questions to people like John Bettis or Richard like they don't know what is going on with the fan base but really I think they are fully aware of what's going on (how I don't know because I don't think they read or look at forums, heck Richard doesn't even maintain his own official website why would he be visiting here and John I'm sure has more important things than to read forums...(meaning when Chris M. brought up the idea that Richard is somehow the villain and also about unreleased vault tracks, because if you notice John elaborated in long details about Richard being a villain almost like he was prepared about the subject because if this was something completely new he would have been unprepared or almost shocked at the question/inquiry asked....if that makes sense. I almost wish that question/inquiry had been tossed out so he could have spoke in more detail about the songs and remembrances of Karen which would have been better time spent in the interview.

Last edited:
Yes, Stephen!
So many musical questions about the career that are never touched upon.
I love the 1975 issue of the Fan Club Newsletter (#45 October) wherein the 'Sedaka Incident' is summarily dismissed.
That one incident did a lot of damage to their career (in America) and to not comment on it did the fans a disservice---
especially since the newspapers were rife with alternative commentary.
Why was this, or that, drummer utilized in the studio--instead of a perfectly fine drummer--Karen Carpenter.
What did Jack Daugherty actually do in those early recordings--anything?
Why no "Old-Fashioned Love Song"? Is Paul Williams accurate in saying his demo was never even heard all the way through?
Who chose 'B' Sides for singles? Why not different choices for flip-sides?
Why wasn't Billy May utilized more?
Why wasn't 'Someday' re-recorded in its entirety, as Karen apparently wanted to do.
What happened to castanets, or trumpets, or saxophones, in those later songs?

Stop me,please, I could go on ad infinitum....,
Obviously, the picture is clear, there is a surfeit of purely musical questions.
As far as I can speculate,
we (fans) will never know answers to most of these questions.

I have heard the song "Something In Your Eyes" (with the late Dusty Springfield) on the FM radio but I haven't heard the rest of the songs. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Mohave Daily Miner, June 28, 1985:
"Richard Carpenter is back in the studio to record his first new album.."
"...he is only comfortable performing in the softer style for which the Carpenters are known,
Carpenter said his first solo album, which he is now recording, will be in the same vein."
"Carpenter said he and his sister never set out to project the goody-goody image that he believes
eventually hurt their career."
"Carpenter expects to release his record by next spring, following-up with a tour.
"

Source:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...cZPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=g1MDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3666,5639324

Harry, I know you posted some promotional pictures of Richard's Time but I'm not sure this was one of them. This looks like the promo ad Billboard issued for Time.

Billboard issue Sept 05, 1987
I'm not sure who Cars Nova is?? This was before the official promo ran.
Billboard%20Richard%20Carpenter%20Time%20Cars%20Nova%20Sept%2005%201987.png~original

Here is the A&M Promo ad issued Sept 12, 1987 for the Time Album
Billboard%20Richard%20Carpenter%20Time%20Promo%20Ad%20Sept%2012%201987.png~original

Here is the album review for Time from Billboard Sept 12, 1987
Billboard%20Richard%20Carpenter%20Time%20LP%20Review%20Sept%2012%201987.png~original

Nice Find, Chris.
New to me.
One of the Fan Club Newsletters explains Ars Nova as Karen and Richard's music publishing entity.
(I'll did that one up.)
Thus, I assume, Richard altered the name a bit for his solo venture.
Interesting that Billboard mentions that Richard Carpenter's
"..devotion to melodic craft ...may limit appeal slightly..."
Too bad.
His trademark ("Classic") melodies and arrangements actually enhance appeal. (IMHO)

Spinning this disc, this morning.
(CD, do not have the Vinyl.)
I notice Jim Cox credited for
Synthesizer Programming on all songs, save two.
Can I get a crash course on what that entails?

Spinning this disc, this morning.
(CD, do not have the Vinyl.)
I notice Jim Cox credited for
Synthesizer Programming on all songs, save two.
Can I get a crash course on what that entails?

In layman's terms, it means programming synthesizers to get the sound you require. Analogue synths have onboard effects units that can be tweaked and adjusted so that you could change the ambience and depth of the sound as well as adding effects such as delay, EQ and reverb. By doing this, Richard could get the synth programmer to achieve a synth sound (e.g. more punchy, brighter, more layered etc) that suits his arrangement on a particular song.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr99/articles/20tips.htm

Ah, yes, Stephen, I do read the 'Vocals' at the beginning of that paragraph,
thanks for calling my attention to that detail !
Given the second article (Oct. 31, 1987) , in part says
"...though Carpenter sings, and sings well on the Album..",
the first article (Sept 12, 1987) threw me for a loop !

Ars Nova is mentioned in the famous Rolling Stone article on the Carpenters. It was owned by them, thus the familiar style of the logo.

Thanks for the reference, Mike.
Also, as mentioned in the Fan Club Newsletter #52 March 1977:
Q: What is the name of their publishing company?
A: They have two--Ars Nova and Hammer and Nails.

Back
Top Bottom