Time for Some Love for Richard!

...I love "Time", "Scott Grimes" , "Akiko" and "Veronique" because I love that sound.

For anyone interested there are two copies of the VERONIQUE album over at ebay. One is a sealed LP at around $10, the other a CD at around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=veronique+richard&_sacat=11233

$_12.JPG

Harry

I notice the album covers an Abba song : "One Of Us''
Is that song on the Veronique album arranged and produced by Richard Carpenter ?

I notice the album covers an Abba song : "One Of Us''
Is that song on the Veronique album arranged and produced by Richard Carpenter ?

Yes. Arranged by Laythan Armor and Richard Carpenter. The whole album was produced by Richard Carpenter and he appears in many backing vocals.

Harry

Remembering, too, the outstanding Montage for the 1998 (Japan)
Top of The World performance.
Then, the more recent performance of the tune , in the grand opening of the
Updated High School Auditorium.

Karen's voice is unparalleled, as most of us here would agree. Further, we also agree about Richard's incredible talents, to quote a phrase, as "Pianist-Arranger-Composer-Conductor." A current thread included Harry's challenge that we revisit songs that might be our "least favourites." This made me think about the entire Carpenters' catalogue, not just my favorites, fronted by Karen's unique and wonderful voice. It brought me back to the days when I bought the albums and listened to each song in order, never skipping anything, savoring every moment. There was always much to enjoy then, as there is now! Some of Richard's instrumental compositions (e.g., "Karen's Theme," "All Those Years Ago") are brilliant!

With all that in mind, I have compiled onto CD a grouping of songs, I call Richard Carpenter: Best Lead Vocals/Instrumentals. It's satisfying and enjoyable to my ears, and I'd like to share it with you. I welcome any reaction... :)

1. I Kept on Loving You
  2. Say Yeah!
  3. Turn Away
  4. Heather
  5. What's the Use
  6. Who Do You Love
  7. All Those Years Ago
  8. I'm Still Not Over You
  9. Piano Picker
  10. Flat Baroque
  11. Remind Me to Tell You
  12. Karen's Theme
  13. Saturday
  14. Druscilla Penny
  15. Medley: Sing/Goodbye to Love/Eve/Rainy Days and Mondays/Look to Your Dreams/Superstar/Someday
  16. When Time Was All We Had
  17. Time
Don't forget to add a few tracks from the karaoke disc of Carpenters songs with Karen's vocals removed. I think Richard shines a little bit brighter on them.

1st of June in Wales UK and it's a real rainy day, and it's Monday......... you can tell where this is leading to!

Thanks GaryAlan for making my Monday a bit brighter with these two video clips, never seen them before, great stuff.

Last edited:
Highlights from Japan documentary, 2002,
at the end (12m) Richard Carpenter gives a wonderful rendition of
"...the melody I'm most proud of ..."
Yesterday Once More :

"Well there's this new one....."

I wonder what it is - and what it sounds like... Is there anyplace to even hear demos of newer melodies or songs?

Publishing companies?

Just curious if anyone knows.... I'd really like to hear what Richard has been up to - in terms of writing...

Thanks for posting this!

You caught me, Neal ! (apologies if I spelled your name incorrectly).
The aforementioned Video was one that I felt had some interest --in
that Richard Carpenter chose to participate in the event.
If memory serves, it was to be a promo number for the group of boyband "singers".
After that performance, that group was disbanded-- and, not for good reasons.
I haven't done my homework well-enough on the entire performance and merely
included it to highlight an event in Richard Carpenters' career.
I have no personal opinion of it--but, Richard Carpenter did do it !

Thankfully, this did not appear on the Live At The Palladium Album,
as I don't think it would have translated very well to Vinyl:
(Draw your own conclusions, I'll keep mine to myself,to each his own.)

This is officially the most brilliant thing I have ever seen in my life. I will ever look at life the same way again. You have unwittingly drawn a thick line between what came before I viewed this and what will now come after. I don't know what will follow but the parameters of life itself and all that it promises have just changed and my existence on this tainted orb has been forever altered in the most positive ways possible.

Thank you, wonderful Gary. Thank you...

Ed

Here's one of my favorite Rainy Days & Mondays . . . From HOT, sunny Arizona. :sweating:

Oh my heavens... This is perfection on a screen! I had never seen this clip....
Been said so many times - but what a vocal power house this girl was!! Notice how she just goes for those notes - so assuredly, no sliding into them - no backing away from the mic... Just going for broke and nailing it every syllable. I personally love the nuances she incorporated in her live performances... Wish there were more out there....
Thanks for posting!

...I witnessed this live. That is all that I have to say. Thank you.

Here's one of my favorite Rainy Days & Mondays . . . From HOT, sunny Arizona. :sweating:

This live version is so much better than the 1974 concerts versions. Karen sticks to the pronunciation that we hear on record. By the Budokan concerts her phrasing was much more 'clipped' and she sang with a 'twang' in her accent (instead of 'down' it became 'dennnn', 'clown' became 'clennn'), which spoiled the delivery for me.

Am I the only one who enjoyed hearing that American 'twang' in Karen's delivery in so many songs, it never bothered me, in fact I adored that style of vocal phrasing. European audience ears would have pricked up on hearing that 'twang'

Nope. Hated it. It's one of the reasons I don't enjoy the live stuff very much.

Am I the only one who enjoyed hearing that American 'twang' in Karen's delivery in so many songs, it never bothered me, in fact I adored that style of vocal phrasing. European audience ears would have pricked up on hearing that 'twang'
Chris, I'm American but I'm not sure what you're hearing. Examples?

Back
Top Bottom