COME FLY WITH ME - Reviews & Comments

What Are Your Favorite Tracks? (multiple choices available)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
COME FLY WITH ME
herbalpert.com

HERBALPERT_CFWM_COVER_900x900_400_400_s_c1.jpg

Produced by Herb Alpert with Michael Shapiro, Hussain Jiffry & Bill Cantos

Tracks:
1. Come Fly With Me (Jimmy Van Huesen/Sammy Cahn) - 2:40
2. Blue Skies (Irving Berlin) - 3:39
3. Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do (Aaron Schroeder/Ben Weisman) - 3:00
4. Cheeky (Herb Alpert/Michael Shapiro/Hussain Jiffry) - 3:24
5. Take The "A" Train (Billy Strayhorn) - 2:44
6. Love Affair (Herb Alpert/Eduardo del Barrio) - 4:11
7. Windy City (Herb Alpert/Jeff Lorber) - 4:31
8. Sweet And Lovely (Gus Anheim/Neil Moret/Harry Tobias) - 2:41
9. Walkin' Tall (Herb Alpert/Hussain Jiffry) - 2:56
10. Night Ride (Herb Alpert/Michael Shapiro) - 3:14
11. Something (George Harrison) - 2:52
12. On The Sunny Side Of The Street (Jimmy McHugh/Dorothy Fields) - 1:41
13. Danny Boy (P.D. lyrics by Frederic Weatherly) - 3:25
Musicians:
Herb Alpert - Trumpet
Michael Shapiro - Drums, Percussion, Voice
Hussain Jiffry - Bass, Guitar
Bill Cantos - Keyboards
Eduardo del Barrio - Strings, Keyboards, Programming
Jeff Lorber - Keyboards, Guitar, Programming
Jamieson Trotter - Keyboards
Marcel Camargo - Guitars and Cavaquinho
Scott Mayo - Saxophones, Flute and Vocals
Dorrel "Fish" Salmon - Hammond B3 on Reggae Songs
Robert Greenridge - Steel Drums
Judd Miller - EVI
Randy "Badazz" Alpert - Programming

Recording Engineer: Hussain Jiffry
Additional Engineering: Eduardo del Barrio, Jamieson Trotter, Jeff Lorber, Randy "Badazz" Alpert, Bill Cantos & Herb Alpert
Mixed by Doug Trantow with Herb Alpert
Mastered by Bernie Grundman @ Grundman Mastering
Art Direction/Design & Cover Design: Brian Porizek
Photo by Louis Oberlander

Available at herbalpertpresents.com and Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Come-Fly-Me-Herb-Alpert/dp/B012G4GUJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443157776&sr=8-1&keywords=herb alpert

Also vailable in hi rez at: http://www.hdtracks.com/come-fly-with-me-256143

herbalpert.com

Capt. Bacardi

My CD copy should arrive sometime today.

Oh - and I should point out that at this moment, just before 8 AM on the east coast, the new album is NOT available on the herbalpertpresents.com website. No update to that site for the new album or tour has taken place. But at this very moment there is a splash screen site with the new tour information (including Florida!) at http://www.herbalpert.com/

All of that may change very quickly as I expect that today will be launch day for the new website - but it's only 5 AM out on the west coast right now.

We'll keep our eye on the situation.

Harry

Last edited:
Mr. Postman delivered my CD copy today. The downside is that the cardboard sleeve was a bit crushed so that the edges are not square, but with some reconstructive therapy, I've managed to take care of that. I've been listening all afternoon, and I think I like them all, but one does stand out a bit on the initial listen, "Got A Lot Of Living To Do". Whether that one stands out as one Herb has done before, I can't say, but I really like the arrangement.

This is a fun and "happy" album.

Oh, and for those that care about such things, the CD has CD-text applied to it, giving track titles on players that read such data.

Harry

Received mine today via USPS from Amazon (had two preordered for weeks - one is going to my brother). Same problem with the crushed CD box. Thought about complaining to Amazon but as I've done enough of that lately didn't think it would be effective. Besides, I don't think it was am Amazon problem. I think the shrink wrapping by the manufacturer was not done properly. Not the end of the world; just would've appreciated it looking more pristine. The painting on the disc itself might be considered a bit gaudy, and I thought when I saw the picturs of the cd cover when it was released that the fonts struck me rather plain.

The music itself is delightfully mellow. Only the cover of Harrison's "Something" left me a but wanting; maybe a bit too plain for me (I thought the same of the Everly Brothers cover on the last one). The rest of it I have rather enjoyed though there is no particular standout to me (well, maybe "Love Affair" - I said after it concluded that I thought it lovely)

I suspect this will meet favourably. It's certainly better than "In the Mood" and maybe a step below "Steppin' Out".

hi I got the cd I love it. i know the first single from it is night ride, does any body know what the second single is or will be?
bob

My CD copy should arrive sometime today.

Oh - and I should point out that at this moment, just before 8 AM on the east coast, the new album is NOT available on the herbalpertpresents.com website. No update to that site for the new album or tour has taken place. But at this very moment there is a splash screen site with the new tour information (including Florida!) at http://www.herbalpert.com/

All of that may change very quickly as I expect that today will be launch day for the new website - but it's only 5 AM out on the west coast right now.

We'll keep our eye on the situation.

Harry

It was supposed to be set today, but now Monday is expected.

Vinyl release date: Nov. 20. Waiting for a copy to review. I'll be curious to see who did the mastering and pressing of the vinyl. (I'm betting it should sound pretty good though--the digital version sounds nice.)

for steve s. and rudy I checked the best buy web site and the vinyl is today 9 25 2015 along with the cd unless it is wrong.
bob

The song "Walkin' Tall" is my favorite. The song "Windy City" is second. Overall a great CD!! :agree: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I got mine today. Impressive looking package! It is copying to my iPod right now so I can listen tomorrow between Minneapolis and Orlando.

I live near an Amazon warehouse, so mine wasn't in transit long enough to get mishandled. Due to a slow commute because of rain, road construction, and having to make a couple stops, I got to hear the whole CD on the way home. I really enjoyed all of it. "Take the A Train" - I'll use this word since the guys won't - dreamy. :)

I live near an Amazon warehouse, so mine wasn't in transit long enough to get mishandled. Due to a slow commute because of rain, road construction, and having to make a couple stops, I got to hear the whole CD on the way home. I really enjoyed all of it. "Take the A Train" - I'll use this word since the guys won't - dreamy. :)

I think dreamy is a very good word to describe the recording. I have the same reaction to it having listened to it in several passes so far. Lush is another word that comes to mind - not surprising as that is a trait I attribute to all of his solo music. I inagine this "record" will sound good performed live. If any of his folks read this blog, my best wishes for their visit down the rowd from me to Austin next week!

Last edited:
Vinyl release date: Nov. 20. Waiting for a copy to review. I'll be curious to see who did the mastering and pressing of the vinyl. (I'm betting it should sound pretty good though--the digital version sounds nice.)
Rudy, which digital version did you get and from where?

Already on YouTube, 11 of the songs (for free):
Windy City, Got A Lot of Living To Do, Cheeky, Come Fly With Me, Walkin Tall, Something, On The Sunny Side of The Street, Blue Skies, Danny Boy, Sweet and Lovely, Take the A Train.
Got my CD at Barnes and Noble today @ $11.99 on sale.

Rudy, which digital version did you get and from where?
Just a CD for now. With the vinyl on preorder, I'm in no rush for the hi-res digital at the moment, but I'll eventually get it. I try to keep the highest quality source on my network drive.

Among the few originals there's not one Bill Cantos tune? :hmmm: I guess he's had his share over the last few albums! Good to see Shapiro and Jiffry get a shot. And nice to see some del Barrio and Lorber tunes as well. Hope to get mine soon -- praying a store gets it since mail orders I place NEVER arrive...

--Mr Bill

Just noticed the Bernie Grundman mastering credit; let's hope he or one of his crack team cuts the vinyl as well.

I inagine this "record" will sound good performed live.

I don't think that we'll hear very much of it performed live simply because of all the instrumentation included in the recording beyond that of the touring band. I did, however, see a photo of the group in Tokyo, which included Xander Smith with guitar, who is their Road Manager and a musician in his own right.

Sounds fantastic! Got mine Friday through Amazon, played it beginning to end multiple times since then. Night Ride has to be my favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom