TJB 1962 - 1969

This looks and sounds like a Bootleg to me i hear some vinyl clicks in places although it sounds ok but i dont think this is legitimate. just my opinion. but it is interesting and a very definitive singles list.

bbrmn if you click on the video above on the bottom where it says you tube, it goes right to you tube. and you can read the comments, the person that posted was patrick. I tried to find it for sale on the internet I tried disqos not even a scan becasue

the catalog number is simular from a german import, nice selection of songs tho.

bob

I checked it just now Thanks Bob. Still with imports like this its hard to tell and i listened to a few key tracks which is what made me suspect it as a bootleg 1. Mexican drummer man sounds very loud and distorted ( maybe just my ears.) And Las mananitas on this is not the single version as featured on the flip side of whipped cream ( i had the single one time) it originally didnt have the chorus and it was in mono. And since Herb owns the masters and A&M NO LONGER ISSUES ANY HERB ALPERT PRODUCT. I just had a Hard time believing this particular set is legitimate.but then again. I could be wrong too. Again as i said it does sound pretty good though.

Your Welcome bbrmn from what I read on the comments on you tube page, that person just put together those songs himself and up loaded to you tube,and your right Las Mananitas was the flip side to Whipped Cream. and since was Whipped

Cream was released in 1965 so was Las mananitas but was not released on the Christmas Album till 1968. if you would do a comparison next time your on you tube type in Baja Marimba band Las Mananitas and compare it to Herbs version the

background music is the same. but I heard maybe was done one half step higher in the key. now for mexican drummer man, as we all know that never was any of the USA albums now on the imports EPs it is. and your right it does sound distored

as from I heard that was only released in Mono.as I do have a Promo copy of that song and the flip side is the The Great Manolete on the single version Mix in the middle you can hear the guitar louder.as I also have the original single of Whipped

Cream.

bob

I have all the Baja marimba band albums and as well as all of Herbs Tjb and solo. And yes Las Mananitas does have differences between TJB AND BMB versions. Albeit very slightly. And ironically Herb plays on both versions.( albeit uncredited on the BMB version.) I do find the youtube post interesting. In that anybody can create a fantasy album like this just for fun. If they have the means to do it. It sure makes one think.

and here is another fantasy if all of those masters did survive of the single mixes but I doubt it very much. to release those as bonus tracks at some time. here is idea the single mixes for mexican corn from the volume 2. if that original master mix did

not survice of the single mix due to drop outs. it would be easy to make another one. I know my way around a mixing board. they can take the original master of that song. and dub in that piano part. just a fantasy of mine I always had.

bob

This is simply a fan-made compilation. The "German-looking" catalog number is simply the A&M single catalog numbers. His first disc goes from single 703 to single 813, that's all that is.

Also, his claim of these being the original single mixes is a lot of bunk as most all of them are in stereo. Anyone who knows anything about Herb's singles knows that ALL of these on his first disc should be in mono.

Also if this were a professional compilation, the a-sides would most likely precede the b-sides in all cases. He's got a few of these mixed up, like at the bottom with "Flamingo" coming after "So What's New."

No, this is just a fan-made set of discs of the songs that were on singles. Most of us could do this ourselves, and some probably have. The only thing this guy got kind-of right was that he used an ochre-colored background and a font for the tracklist (Italic Times New Roman) that looks like its from THE LONELY BULL era. His A&M Records logo is crooked though on both sides, and just a little bit large. Still there are those of us who LIKE big logos, so that's almost appealing. (MILLION DOLLAR SONG SAMPLER with its giant A&M logo is fun to look at.)

As a matter of fact, I spotted this a while ago and liked the primitive artwork enough to make my own. But I fixed the logo to be straight and added a few songs to the end of the second disc.

IMG_2045.JPG

Harry

Thanks for the added info Harry. For a moment i thought this was a bootleg. ( i tend to be skeptical at things like this that appear to be an actual cd ) i appreciate the clarification. And explanation. And to you and Bob may i wish you both An early "Happy New Year"!

Did anybody notice that they included the wrong version of "Flamingo" in that You Tube set? This was the 1996 solo version, from SECOND WIND. Just sayin'.

the first thing I noticed was the person said they are the 45 singles, but if one would listen they are the stereo versions of the songs, because some of the original 45 singles mixes are different.

bob

The single mixes are so rare and hard to find ( especially if you are looking for a good to near mint condition.) They would not translate well to a CDR Unless you had some very good software. Nevertheless this was a pretty good attempt at a " Do it Yourself" comp. Its too bad the original mono single mixes are not availible ( i have heard many of them and they are different.)

hi bobberman I use that audio cleaning lab www.magix.com and it takes out 99 % of all the ticks and pops and you can make it to sound like a digital cd. plus my 45 singles look like they never been played all mint except for some surface

noices. you can may be able to find it at half price book in there computer software section the audio cleanic 16 deluxe it's called for $9.99 a regular 50.00 dollars on line. it does the work and you can down mix to mono as well. you might find the single releases in goodwill stores.or at record conventions.

bob

hi bobberman I use that audio cleaning lab www.magix.com and it takes out 99 % of all the ticks and pops and you can make it to sound like a digital cd. plus my 45 singles look like they never been played all mint except for some surface

noices. you can may be able to find it at half price book in there computer software section the audio cleanic 16 deluxe it's called for $9.99 a regular 50.00 dollars on line. it does the work and you can down mix to mono as well. you might find the single releases in goodwill stores.or at record conventions.

bob

For years, I never bothered with the singles. I always figured that stereo was supreme and that having all of the songs in stereo was the way to go. Even after I found single AM 787, "Taxi"/"Zorba" to be so different, and knowing of the different lead vocal on "To Wait For Love", I still never explored much further.

Recently, this video sparked an interest in the TjB singles. "What else was different out there?" I wondered. I had accumulated a few TjB singles over the years, so I explored those. "The Happening" with its missing flute note at the end. "Carmen" with its extra compression and reverb in spots". "Marjorine" with its shortened intro. "The Great Manolete" with its extra trumpet overdub. Some tracks just sounded brighter on the 45 than on the mono album. All were reasons for me to explore further.

I spotted a sale on eBay of some guy selling a massive 44 Herb Alpert singles for just about $80 or so. This lot contained most of the ones I never found, and were in great shape, so I sprang for the lot. Over the next few weeks, I'll be delving further into these Larry Levine-mastered 45s to clean them up and digitize them. And I'm going to use this video's artwork when I commit them to CD-R.

I've discovered that I enjoy hearing the TjB in mono - as well as stereo. Like The Beatles, there's a cohesiveness about the group all mixed down into mono, whereas the stereo separates half of the group on one side and half on the other side. It's a neat effect in headphones or close-spaced speakers, but can be a little too separated if your speakers are more than a few feet apart.

Harry

Someone long ago gave me a set of most of the TJB singles, all in pic sleeves and while not completely perfect, were in good shape considering the crappy styrene these are pressed on. (Good job, Columbia. :rolleyes: ) I digitized the few unique singles that were not included on Dee Jay Sampler and they make a nice singles anthology together. For singles I might use the Waves click and crackle filter plugins in an audio editor if they are really bad but otherwise, I prefer no filtering since they all distort the music in other ways. I've heard dozens of needle drops done with those cheap click repair programs and they all sound nasty.

One of the major problems with cheap programs is that they often create a very noticeable distortion on brass!! Not what any of us here want, eh? :wink:

To me The TJB and THE BEATLES were and still my top favorites in the sense that their stereo and mono mixes differed one from another as the Beatles and George Martin focused on mono while they left the stereo to the engineers. Herb focused on the stereo and left the mono mixing to Larry Levine. I enjoy hearing both. there is so much variety to be enjoyed hearing the differences and those little details. That is what i call "The fun and adventure of collecting music."

I have all the Baja marimba band albums and as well as all of Herbs Tjb and solo. And yes Las Mananitas does have differences between TJB AND BMB versions. Albeit very slightly. And ironically Herb plays on both versions.( albeit uncredited on the BMB version.) I do find the youtube post interesting. In that anybody can create a fantasy album like this just for fun. If they have the means to do it. It sure makes one think.
So, then, Lee Katzman wasn't in the BMB "officially"; until, either, WATCH OUT or HEAD'S UP?

Back
Top Bottom