⭐ Official Review [Album]: "LOVELINES" (SP-3931)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 18 20.0%

Votes: 48 53.3%

Votes: 15 16.7%

Votes: 8 8.9%

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
I love what Richard did with "My Body..." he gave it that warmth and ambiance that the original one lacked.

That's definitely true! I loved this track from first hear on the box set and was actually quite shocked when I heard how it was originally meant to sound on hearing Karen's album a few years later. The remix lifted it 100%, same as 'Lovelines' and 'If I Had You'.

That's definitely true! I loved this track from first hear on the box set and was actually quite shocked when I heard how it was originally meant to sound on hearing Karen's album a few years later. The remix lifted it 100%, same as 'Lovelines' and 'If I Had You'.

Even on arrangements that weren't his own he had that gift of re-crafting a song to bring out the warmth and richness in it, while also making it feel fresh. He knew that the presence of Karen's voice deserves an equally richly atmospheric arrangement to frame it.

Interestingly enough, the Physical Vinyl Record of Lovelines has
"The Carpenters" printed on the inside of the Vinyl , not the Logo--with an explicitly printed "The".
Then, the 30th Anniversary CD Disc, of that name, which should be (and, I believed was) an exact replica of the
album artwork,
says "Carpenters"......the "The" is gone....!

I remember picking up the CD to this album back in 1998, and for me it was the first true Carpenters studio album that I had owned or heard (about a six months earlier I had found the MFSL Gold disc of "A Song For You"), and it's still a favourite of mine all these years later. Sure I had heard the 1969-73, 74-78 Singles albums, along with the Christmas Portrait Special Edition and Interpretations Compilation albums, but "Loveliness" was the first Carpenters album that I found that was original, non-remixed material. And ever since that first play through My favourite album cuts have been "The Uninvited Guest" "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night", "Slow Dance" and "Honolulu City Lights". There just seemed to be something magical about these songs, and by saying magical I'm not really referring the idea of putting someone under a spell or something, but really I can't think of a better way to describe those four songs, and I think "Kiss Me" and "Honolulu" would made Voice Of The Heart sound better than "Now" or "Make Believe" (which I find both are the worst tracks the Carpenters ever recorded).

Every Halloween I always play Uninvited Guest as it seems very spooky and just the way Karen describes the "ghost" of the other woman in the guy's life always gives me chills, and it's too bad that Richard did not include "The Uninvited Guest" on any other compilation albums. TUG deserves to be up there with "All You a Get From Love" and "We've Only Just Begun" and "Close To You" as the Carpenters best and signature tunes.

I think "Kiss Me" and "Honolulu" would made Voice Of The Heart sound better than "Now" or "Make Believe"

I may be wrong but I think Richard was going for a more wistful, poignant and - dare I say - bleak sound on VOTH given it was the first release after Karen's passing. Both of those songs are quite romantic tunes with a warmer feel to them which I think would have been at odds with the rest of the album.

I'm glad Richard held them back for Lovelines, which to me ranks up there with many of the albums released in Karen's lifetime. It has such a cohesive feel to it and the tunes are amazing. Kiss Me is in my all time top 10 Carpenters tracks.

Well with VOH, I think Richard needed to pick something different for those two songs as I never found they flowed with the rest of the album. Richard could've probably replaced "Now" with "The Rainbow Connection" or another track and made VOH a lot better.

I just noticed over in the Complete recording Resource that for the mix of "If I Had You" from Loveliness, you don't have it as also being on From The Top/Essential Collection and the UK version of Interpretations.

I just noticed over in the Complete recording Resource that for the mix of "If I Had You" from Loveliness, you don't have it as also being on From The Top/Essential Collection and the UK version of Interpretations.

Right you are. And now it's been added. Thanks for spotting that. It takes lots of "eyes" to fine-tune these things and I appreciate it when others find them.

Now, allow me to make a minor correction on your posts. Twice, you've referred to the album LOVELINES but have added an extra "S", which of course turns the title into a different word entirely. "Lovelines" is probably not really a word, but "lovely-ness" is. Nevertheless, the title is LOVELINES.

I've actually seen that extra "S" in other writings on the album and wonder just how many people think it's Lovely-ness. :)

Harry

Last edited:
"If We Try" is the standout for me; I think I've played it like 10 times already. I have found I'm in the camp that likes Karen's solo, but also likes Richard's treatment of the few of her selections. I really do prefer her lower register (no offense to you, my darling). I was not expecting her to sing that high -- I could only compare it to Olivia Newton-John. That said, most of the selections surprised me in a good way... "Woahhh this is Karen??!?". "When I Fall In Love" has been stuck in my head for days, even though the song, with the exception of the vocal, wasn't particularly interesting to me. I'm trying to recall the rest of the selections, but I only took one listen of one side. Call me insane, but I was able to find this on cassette tape and can only play it in my car.

I asked my mom if she thought this album could've seen release in the early 80s -- from the one side we listened to, she said sure; " it has that sound, early eighties, end-of-disco." Not sure what that means, exactly. :D

Regarding "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night" I came across this quote from Danny Pelfrey, husband of the late Linda Lawley, who co-composed the song.

"By the mid-70’s, Linda, Margaret and Beverly Smith were recording and touring world-wide with Petula Clark. A Las Vegas introduction to Karen Carpenter on that tour would lead to Carpenter later recording Linda and Margaret’s song KISS ME THE WAY YOU DID LAST NIGHT".

So this was one that Karen brought to the table in '80. It's a good 'un.

Regarding "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night" I came across this quote from Danny Pelfrey, husband of the late Linda Lawley, who co-composed the song.

"By the mid-70’s, Linda, Margaret and Beverly Smith were recording and touring world-wide with Petula Clark. A Las Vegas introduction to Karen Carpenter on that tour would lead to Carpenter later recording Linda and Margaret’s song KISS ME THE WAY YOU DID LAST NIGHT".

So this was one that Karen brought to the table in '80. It's a good 'un.
Good research. I love the vocal layering in that song.

I think we can all agree that 1978 was an amazing year in particular for Karen's voice - all of those gorgeous Christmas vocals, I Believe You, Little Girl Blue, When I Fall in Love, LTYD, etc - but I was wondering if anyone else thought that her vocal on "Where Do I Go From Here?" sounds a bit rougher or not as smooth technically. You could say it fits the lyrical subject of being worn out and alone, but I do hear a difference from the rest of her 1978 performances, which sound more lush and full. Was she sick when she recorded it? I think it's a great vocal but it sounds thinner compared to the others of that year.

Maybe she was recording it at the end of a long day and was tired?

Could be that, but it's not that she phones the performance emotionally at all, it's the sound of her voice technically that doesn't sound as smooth as usual. Listen to this track and then hear anything else from that same year, i just hear something different.

Was it a work lead, does anyone know?

I'm listening to the song right now, and, aside from sounding a little tired, I would say that it sounds like Karen was "acting" on the song, giving it that little bit rougher sound it needed.

This album remains one of my favorites---I played it just this morning.
"Where Do I Go From Here", as far as my ears can ascertain, is delivered flawlessly and forcefully.
A fantastic arrangement, also.
I wonder, being recorded in 1978, why it does sound different from Karen's vocals on "I Believe You" or "Honolulu City Lights".
The later two were (I believe) recorded in the same session,
thus I wonder when vocals were recorded for the former.

We know that Little Girl Blue was recorded in April for the May SPACE ENCOUNTERS. And in the chronological From The Top set Where Do I Go from Here is listed before this song, but after Ave Maria and the Xmas tunes. Therefore it must have been tracked Feb/March/April of '78

The July 1985 Carpenter Fan Club Newsletter #84 appears to be the first instance where
an inkling of the future album Lovelines is mentioned:
Q:"Are there any more tracks recorded by Karen and Richard which may yet be released ?"
A:"Yes, and they will be released sometime in the future."

As I was listening to this album last night, it occurs to me that
"Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night",
is another song which has Karen's (much) higher register all over it.
Presumably, the song was "selected" by Richard (MIA sessions) , so, again,
I must ask, was he---at this point in time--purposefully selecting
songs in a higher key ?
If so, Why ?
given the stated (ref: Coleman) dislike of many of the solo songs due
to Karen singing in a higher key.
Again, the backing vocals include Siedah Garrett;
Richard Carpenter: "...one of my favorites..." (Lovelines Liner Notes).

As I was listening to this album last night, it occurs to me that
"Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night",
is another song which has Karen's (much) higher register all over it.
Presumably, the song was "selected" by Richard (MIA sessions) , so, again,
I must ask, was he---at this point in time--purposefully selecting
songs in a higher key ?
If so, Why ?
given the stated (ref: Coleman) dislike of many of the solo songs due
to Karen singing in a higher key.
Again, the backing vocals include Siedah Garrett;
Richard Carpenter: "...one of my favorites..." (Lovelines Liner Notes).

I'd never thought about it but it's true. Its sister song Touch Me When We're Dancing is also set in too high a key for my liking. It makes Karen's vocal sound wispy, thin and weaker than it really was.

Early on in my discovery of Carpenters I had only the Readers Digest compilation that I found at a garage sale. Best find ever. :D
As far as Lovelines goes there was only "When I fall in love" and "Little girl blue" on that collection if I am not mistaken.

I heard this album very piece meal over the years.

Upon first listen I thought "Uninvited guest" was 'boring' until I realized the gem that it really is. The delivery is very suitable.
I like "Honolulu city lights" and the "Unsweetened version" is mighty fine too including Karen's "That was good!"
That could have been kept in... similarly to "uh, I have to get into a serious mood here" from MBIYFT. I think fans enjoy that kind of stuff including the remixed "Let me be the one" where she sings "figure out where the rest of the melody is...". There's likely more studio chatter we haven't heard. I'm sure we'd all love to hear.
Perhaps it was with the biopic that I took a liking to "Where do I go from here?". The timing of this song seems right. I mean, if it were included on "VOTH" it might feel too soon to hear that particular lyrical content. The introduction is very sweet just overall the music is good, and nice to hear Karen on her own which is what a lot of this album is. For whatever reason it's nice to have tracks like "Sometimes" where it feels a bit more stripped down.
"You're the one" was a nice choice to record. I favour the part with "all I need to know for tomorrow is that you're mine..."
I guess the only thing is a lot of the material here isn't really "Classic Carpenters" as advertised. I'm super glad we have them! They were finished with the choir... but I appreciate "Slow dance" a lot because it actually has those classic KC and RC overdubs. Acknowledging there is a difference with the posthumous albums and they must be rough to try to put together. Despite efforts overall this one lacks "the sound" that made them famous. Of course Karen's voice is front and centre, so in that way it's nice don't get me wrong.

Having said that I don't want to overlook "Kiss me" I remember the first time I heard it I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Lol I thought here we go again. It was my last time experiencing "The Carpenters sound" through lyrics I had not heard previously. That was the last time I had discovered something "new". It's good it was released and does sound ambitious.
Also, Siedah Garrett is credited for participating in the backing vocals although I can't quite make her out. Lol
It's a bit of a Michael Jackson connection. Of course she sang on "I just can't stop loving you", and has writing credit for "Man in the mirror". I'm also a huge fan of his as well. I wonder what her experience was like during that session, and when it took place. I'm guessing by '89 along with Richard.

As for the four solo songs, in retrospect I think they are mislabelled being on that album. That's all really. I understand the context and why it was put out that way. Like some of you out there I have mixed feelings about "If I had you" being chosen as a single with the initial reaction, shelving and all of that. I like the remixed version of the title track with an alternate lead and "If I had you" gets an extended feel from KC's faded version which is also really nice. So, these '89 remixes have nicer qualities to them. "Remember when lovin' took all night" and "If we try" are songs I like from KC's solo adventure too, but don't hear much audible difference in those ones from her original concept.
It would make more sense to me to have "Rainbow connection" or "Leave yesterday behind" on this album, but that's likely because we can now look at "As time goes by" to say what we think should or should not have been done at the time.

As for the four solo songs, in retrospect I think they are mislabelled being on that album. That's all really. I understand the context and why it was put out that way. Like some of you out there I have mixed feelings about "If I had you" being chosen as a single with the initial reaction, shelving and all of that. I like the remixed version of the title track with an alternate lead and "If I had you" gets an extended feel from KC's faded version which is also really nice. So, these '89 remixes have nicer qualities to them. "Remember when lovin' took all night" and "If we try" are songs I like from KC's solo adventure too, but don't hear much audible difference in those ones from her original concept.
It would make more sense to me to have "Rainbow connection" or "Leave yesterday behind" on this album, but that's likely because we can now look at "As time goes by" to say what we think should or should not have been done at the time.

I'd say pretty much the opposite - the four solo tracks are essential in making the album hang together as an entity. Without them and with tracks like 'The Rainbow Connection' and 'Leave Yesterday Behind' in their place, the album would be too downbeat and draggy, as there are already quite enough slower/ballad numbers on there.

On the remixing of the solo tracks on Lovelines, I had a look at the sleeve notes and it transpires that neither 'If We Try' nor 'Remember When Lovin' Took All Night' was remixed by Richard - apparently Phil Ramone did some sort of remixing to them, but you'd be hard-pressed to tell any kind of difference compared to the versions that eventually appeared on the Karen Carpenter CD in 1996.

Was Lovelines given much of a promotional push by A&M? I realise they probably originally wanted it to be released at the same time that The Karen Carpenter Story aired on TV in order to capitalise on that, which didn't end up happening (ironically, in the UK, the album came out *before* the movie was shown on TV at the end of 1989 and so also didn't get much attention on release, only charting briefly after the movie was shown after it had already been in the shops for a couple of months), but was it treated more like a 'catalogue' release with only a limited budget to promote it rather than a new album that they were looking to see hit the charts again?

That's okay to disagree. :)

So, we would have another "Horizon" on our hands if I were in charge? Lol jk
I suppose they provide something more upbeat for the project itself.
My thing is probably a bit Obsessive-Compulsive in that it's just not right imo to take her work and put it under The Carpenters name.
Granted they are specified as solo in the liner notes I'm assuming. So, never doubt the intelligence of the audience.
As usual it's was easier to call it Carpenters... that was a factor in reasoning why Karen felt/went along with shelving it. Why do this when we can stick with the same way we've always done it? Promotion for the duo/band name was much easier apparently.
I guess all involved had a change of heart later on about their feelings regarding Karen's solo work enough to put it out... but I am not even sure about that really based on later interviews too.
It was the pestering of fans that brought it out, right?
What was done in '96 is how it should have been done in the late 80s... or forget that it needed to be out in it's time.

Last edited:
My thing is probably a bit Obsessive-Compulsive in that it's just not right imo to take her work and put it under The Carpenters name.

Really interesting point. If it wasn't good enough to release in 1979/80, why was it good enough to release in 1989?

Back
Top Bottom