9. Sing
10. Yesterday Once More
11. Top of the World
12. I Won't Last a Day Without You
13. Jambalaya (On the Bayou)
14. Please Mr. Postman
15. Only Yesterday
16. Solitaire
17. There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World)
18. I Need to Be in Love
19. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
20. Touch Me When We're Dancing

This will be released on September 2, 2016 in the U.K.

Hello everyone, here is the track listing for "The Nation's Favorites":

1. (They Long to Be) Close to You
2. We've Only Just Begun
3. For All We Know
4. Rainy Days and Mondays
5. Superstar
6. Hurting Each Other
7. Goodbye to Love
8. It's Going to Take Some Time
9. Sing
10. Yesterday Once More
11. Top of the World
12. I Won't Last a Day Without You
13. Jambalaya (On the Bayou)
14. Please Mr. Postman
15. Only Yesterday
16. Solitaire
17. There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World)
18. I Need to Be in Love
19. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
20. Touch Me When We're Dancing

It's weird this compilation has even been commissioned. It's almost identical to Gold and this tie-in CD release has never been done for any of the other artists featured in the "Nation's Favourite" series of episodes. Not one I'll be buying.

I have to say, I love the cover. The "CARPENTERS" logo looks a bit off in terms of shape, though (to me anyways).

I thought that, its lines aren't as clean as they normally are. It almost looks like it's been drawn by hand and the top edge of the letters looks flattened.

Last edited:
I was in HMV yesterday and really enjoyed flicking though the vinyl record collections and now as I look at this album cover for this latest Carpenters compilation, I began thinking about the 50th anniversary in 2019, and wouldn't it be amazing to have all the Carpenters studio albums from 1969-1981 re-released on vinyl with original album covers.

hi guys

I`m new to the forum, so could I take this opportunity to say `hello` to anyone :agree:
I`m really looking forward to this programme and have the cd pre-ordered.
just looking at the track listing on this, I`m wondering if there`s a spoiler alert here, as this maybe the order of the voting! just a thought :winkgrin:
hope to talk to you guys more as well. I love listening to Karen and have just brought the book, `little girl blue` which I`m actually looking forward to listening to, rather than read, as I now have the audio book as well.
great to be on here guys and talk to so many fans, this is certainly a busy forum.

regards, mark.

just looking at the track listing on this, I`m wondering if there`s a spoiler alert here, as this maybe the order of the voting! just a thought :winkgrin:

Welcome to the forum!

If that is the order of the voting, then by an amazing coincidence it would mirror the chronological sequence in which the singles were released :laugh:

Last edited:
Hi
If thats the order of the voting i canot understand why Hurting each other is at no 6 and Its going to take some time is no 8.These 2 singles were never released in the Uk and never get any airplay.The majority of people have never heard of these songs only Carpenters fans.And why is merry christmas darling not listed ? at least it chartrd at no 45 in 1971 and no 25 in 1990.The same goes for Santa claus is comin to town no 37 in 1975.

this tie-in CD release has never been done for any of the other artists featured in the "Nation's Favourite" series of episodes

Were these episodes of the show?

61unDsUKYoL._AC_US174_.jpg
61LzBeiiM5L._AC_US174_.jpg
61ht8J2dcyL._AC_US174_.jpg
61hQO-HIdlL._AC_US174_.jpg

Looks like Elvis got a release in the CD series.

I have to say, I love the cover. The "CARPENTERS" logo looks a bit off in terms of shape, though (to me anyways).
I just compared the logo with my cover of "From The Top" and the only difference I notice is that the bottom of the letters E and N in the middle of the logo on "From The Top" are curved rather than straight.

I made an animated GIF to compare the logo on the NATION'S FAVOURITE album cover to the original logo. And there are definitely some differences as mentioned above. Kudos to theninjarabbit for bringing it to everyone's attention!

logo-2.gif

The source for the original logo is from the Tan album. Since this is where the logo made its first appearance, I figured this would be the best source to use. I took the cover for the Tan album, inverted it and converted it to black and white to make it easier to compare, because the background on the NATION'S FAVOURITE cover is dark. Here is the original animated GIF with the Tan album in color.

I made an animated GIF to compare the logo on the NATION'S FAVOURITE album cover to the original logo. And there are definitely some differences as mentioned above. Kudos to theninjarabbit for bringing it to everyone's attention!

logo-2.gif

The source for the original logo is from the Tan album. Since this is where the logo made its first appearance, I figured this would be the best source to use. I took the cover for the Tan album, inverted it and converted it to black and white to make it easier to compare, because the background on the NATION'S FAVOURITE cover is dark. Here is the original animated GIF with the Tan album in color.

It almost looks like the logo might've had some sort of embossing effect applied, in order to give the logo's edge a rounded appearance.

Hi
If thats the order of the voting i canot understand why Hurting each other is at no 6 and Its going to take some time is no 8.These 2 singles were never released in the Uk and never get any airplay.The majority of people have never heard of these songs only Carpenters fans.And why is merry christmas darling not listed ? at least it chartrd at no 45 in 1971 and no 25 in 1990.The same goes for Santa claus is comin to town no 37 in 1975.

Or as I had previously mentioned, Trying To Get The Feeling Again which hit #44 in 1994!

It almost looks like the logo might've had some sort of embossing effect applied, in order to give the logo's edge a rounded appearance.

Perhaps it is embossed. I've got it on pre-order so I can report back once I receive it.

In addition to the differences as pointed out by Stephen, theninjarabbit and John Tkacik, the thing that I noticed is that the serifs are off. For example, in the case of the two "E" letters, the serifs are not even consistent with each other (circled in red). The serifs circled in blue are too long. And some of the letters should touch each other, such as the "T" and the "N" (circled in white):

nationsfavourite.jpg

Original for comparison:

carpenters-eponymous.jpg

I know I'm nitpicking, but couldn't they have just used the official logo? Oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, I'm glad this compilation is coming out. Anything to keep the Carpenters in the public eye is a good thing in my book, as this will hopefully introduce their music to many more people who may not be familiar with them.

Hi

adam, I`m just second guessing here really! won`t be surprised if `close to you` isn't the favourite though. :)

According to Wikipedia, "Close To You" only reached #6 on the UK charts, while both "Yesterday Once More" and "Please Mr. Postman" hit #2 and went silver.

Just a guess, but I think the winner here will either be Yesterday Once More or We've Only Just Begun. Both of those are much more engrained in fans' minds over here, especially the former. Close To You wasn't considered to be the smash hit in the UK that it was in the US.

Hi
I wouldnt be suprise if the winner is Top of the World a no 5 hit in the Uk and received a silver disc and gets plenty of airplay.Weve only just begun only got to no 28 in uk although that gets plenty of airplay here to.

hi
I hope this show gets god ratings especially for a saturday night.And introduce Carpenters/music to people who are not to familiar with their music

Back
Top Bottom