Rudy Van Gelder, legendary audio engineer, has passed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like every day now some other famous person is passing away. Sad to hear of the loss of Mr. Van Gelder.

Harry
...listening now to the rare STONEBONE by J & K...

He did engineer so many classic jazz recordings. Unfortunately, some of his remasters weren't all that great. I found some of them to be rather muddy sounding, which is why I usually go back to the original records. But you can't argue his contributions to jazz over the decades.

I found some of them to be rather muddy sounding

I've always thought that, being a person who likes crisp highs in recordings. I remember way back when - we were discussing WE AND THE SEA by Tamba 4. I was never able to find that LP, but like others, was surprised that it got a CD release in Japan back around 1998 or so. While I was thrilled to finally hear the album, it sounded a bit muddy to me.

Then, just a couple of years later, Verve By Request reissued it in the US. This one sounded much better to my ears.

Many of those CTi recordings are muddy. I forget which frequency it was, but I used a parametric equalizer to notch out a small bit of the midbass and it really cleaned up the sound. It wasn't much--just a decibel or two--to clear it up. Some recent masterings reduce that murky sound, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom