Carpenters "The Nation's Favourites" compilation coming in the UK

I must resist
I must resist
I must resist
I must resist

o darn it, you just had to say it didn't you, the voices are there and they won`t stop :yikes:
actually, I wasn't aware there was a booklet, so I`ll open it and just buy another one for the collection ........ YES.:dancing:
I hope there is a booklet otherwise I'm going to feel really guilty.

I must resist
I must resist
I must resist
I must resist

o darn it, you just had to say it didn't you, the voices are there and they won`t stop :yikes:
actually, I wasn't aware there was a booklet, so I`ll open it and just buy another one for the collection ........ YES.:dancing:
Someone pass me a paper bag......starting to hyper ventilate

Nice to see this one already on....today's charts:

Album: Carpenters: Gold - Greatest Hits

iTunes:
#27 Thailand
#46 Philippines
#90 Vietnam
#119 Sri Lanka
#135 Hong Kong
#149 Singapore
#165 Ireland
#171 El Salvador
#185 Brunei Darussalam

Album: The Nation's Favorite Songs

iTunes:
#57 United Kingdom

Album: Carpenters: Singles 1969-1981

iTunes:
#132 El Salvador

Carpenters Chart Positions on iTunes/Spotify/YouTube »
#57 UK......expect this to rise after the ITV show

IF...and that's a big "if"...the online samples are correct, this is what I've been able to identify in terms of mixes:

1. (They Long to Be) Close to You (album version)
2. We've Only Just Begun (1985 remix)
3. For All We Know (1991 remix)
4. Rainy Days and Mondays (1991 remix)
5. Superstar (original album/single mix)
6. Hurting Each Other (1991 remix)
7. Goodbye to Love (1991 remix)
8. It's Going to Take Some Time (original album mix)
9. Sing (original album mix)
10. Yesterday Once More (1991 remix)
11. Top of the World (original album mix)
12. I Won't Last a Day Without You (extended Singles 69-81 version)
13. Jambalaya (On the Bayou) (original album mix)
14. Please Mr. Postman (1991 remix)
15. Only Yesterday (single edit)
16. Solitaire (?)
17. There's a Kind of Hush (All Over the World) (1985 remix)
18. I Need to Be in Love (original album mix)
19. Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft (?)
20. Touch Me When We're Dancing (standard album mix)

I'll know better when my copy arrives from the UK.

The way in which this promotion has been put together is just amazing, well done to whoever is behind it all. ( Dare I say Universal? )

14141837_10207188443371754_1113413759186239855_n.jpg
Keith Watson (KW) of the Metro described it all as........ "the perfect showcase for a great singer whose talent was often sprinkled with too much sugar"

Mastered for iTunes.......technically how would this differ from other mastering standards?
Nice find! It appears the correct logo is used in the iTunes version. And it's got the "Mastered for iTunes" label as well, for what it's worth.

itunes.png

Just listening to the compilation now. They have definitely included the original album mix of Top of the World. It's so cool to have that on a new "best of" compilation.

Oh and WOWOWOWOWOW there is a piano coda at the end of I Won't Last a Day Without You, which is new to me as I don't have the 69-81 compilation (I have all the others, and caved by buying this new one yesterday - but how often these days is a new, UK-only collection trumpeted with a mainstream TV tie-in?!). Very excited for the "countdown" later - after X Factor, viewers will get to see what real pop X factor is!

It was on prominent display in Sainsbury's. In HMV there were loads of copies on display and it featured on a poster on the way into the store. I resisted buying it this week. But I'm thinking it might be a good cd to keep in the car...

This collection is now also on Spotify.

Some observations:

Close To You is the full length album version.

Hurting Each Other is the remix version with re-recorded piano.

Goodbye To Love features Richard's "1...2...3" count in as first heard on From The Top.

Solitaire and Top Of The World are both the album versions, not the single versions.

It's Going To Take Some Time is the original album version not the remix.

Only Yesterday is the single edit.

The extended version of I Won't Last A Day Without You in my opinion doesn't fit here. It doesn't even segue nicely into Jambalaya.

Mix-wise this is quite an unusual little collection, not quite what I had expected.

Very excited for the show tonight! :popcorn:

Last edited:
Even though the order's not chronological, seems like the extended "I Won't Last A Day..." would be a nice closer, a la "Look to Your Dreams". That would be a goosebumps, knockout, hit-home kind of ending.

Enthused as I am regarding this Television Show--and the push by Universal --
the above listed tracks and the mixes (or,rather remixes) does nothing to enthuse me about the CD.

Why the (relatively speaking) continued neglect of the Single version of Solitaire ?

I hope the television show does well and introduces more folks to Carpenters' music,
however, this compilation surely raises many a question...one example I've noted (Solitaire),
there are more more......oh,well,still no CD purchase for me....

Just the inclusion of Sing is just too much sweetness for me, far better to replace it with All You Get From Love Is A Love Song. Carpenters music will reach a new audience in the UK after tonight, and at the end of the day, this has surely been the whole object of this promotion, I'm sure it will work.

The fact these songs are real sales hits is still amazing to me! How many current artists have this kind of track record?

Why the (relatively speaking) continued neglect of the Single version of Solitaire ?

As big a fan as I am of the single version, I don't think the general public would have a clue as to the differences as they are so subtle.

Just the inclusion of Sing is just too much sweetness for me, far better to replace it with All You Get From Love Is A Love Song.

I'm disappointed that Sing and It's Going To Take Some Time have made the list. They are not what I'd consider to be big hits in the UK or in the psyche of the UK record buying public.

Does anyone know any actual voters ?
How did this voting occur ?

I am surprised, too, that
Trying To Get The Feeling Again
is not on this compilation....it did chart in the 1990's !

Does anyone know any actual voters ?
How did this voting occur ?

I am surprised, too, that
Trying To Get The Feeling Again
is not on this compilation....it did chart in the 1990's !

I didn't see such a poll listed anywhere online or in magazines. It's a shame because there are a few other songs I can think of that deserved to make the list more than the ones due to be shown.

I don't think Trying To Get The Feeling Again would be known by anyone outside the staunch fans, more's the pity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom