Your Herb Reissue Pecking Order

Sounds like a plan. There may be independents around that still carry CDs, depending on the area.

I have a list of the titles at Amazon posted around here to help avoid confusion.

Sounds like a plan. There may be independents around that still carry CDs, depending on the area.

I have a list of the titles at Amazon posted around here to help avoid confusion.

Ugh! I caved. I ordered Summertime on Amazon, (and it is one of those: "Frequently Bought Together" with Warm and Brass Are Comin') so I did. I actually remember spotting those 3 albums from afar, the day they were released, at the E.J. Korvette department store in New York; and I'm very much the hunter/gatherer, but... Anyway, I'll see them first in my mailbox on September 15 - 16.

SPOILER ALERT!!!! Yesterday night (September:cool: I dropped into the Barnes & Noble in Union, NJ. The CDs the guy showed me (which will be put out today, of course) were: Lonely Bull, (skip), South of the Border, (nope, no Whipped Cream either), Going Places, What Now My Love (skip, skip, skip), Beat of the Brass, (I forgot, maybe Rise), Fandango, Anything Goes, and I Feel You. One of each. And, I believe Steve alluded to this earlier, the cover pictures in some cases are cropped. Checking out Target and WalMart tonight.

Well, it's 11:15am in northern Texas and my shipping came early today and about a dozen cds are starting at me :). I think it is the largest one time purchase of CDs I have ever done (my brother and I split the cost, but just the same I'll be eating beans for awhile. No guilt there for ya, Mr Alpert and HA Presents :)).

It is rather strange to see some album covers that I've never seen before "in the flesh" but only on a computer screen (i.e., stuff only previously out as downloads - and which I didn't own them in original vinyl. Stuff like Brass in Comin'...). If the Herb-Hugh Main Event Live is any indication, I'm looking forward to some superior sound. A few are still on the way - one later today; a few I chose slower shipping for an amazon incentive.

I'll appreciate any recommendations on ripping for use on Apple equipment.

Last edited:
One note: in the Rise reissue, on the track "Love Is", the composers are only noted by last names (whereas on all others full names are there). Not sure why that is. I assume Withers means Bill Withers (from what I see on a quick web search). Can somebody tell me who Smith is? ( like to have the composer info on my rips.

One note: in the Rise reissue, on the track "Love Is", the composers are only noted by last names (whereas on all others full names are there). Not sure why that is. I assume Withers means Bill Withers (from what I see on a quick web search). Can somebody tell me who Smith is? ( like to have the composer info on my rips.

Bill Withers and Paul Smith

My batch just showed up and I have been happily un-shrinkwrapping them. It's pretty cool to finally hold in my hands, real Herb-Alpert-sanctioned copies of Volume 2, Summertime and The Brass Are Comin'!

I bought all of the TJB except Lonely Bull (I don't like that album much at all, so the Shout Factory copy I have will suffice); and of the post-Tijuana Brass era, I picked up You Smile and Main Event Live. I may cave-in and get the missing pieces later on, although I can't imagine much sonic improvement on the more recent titles.

Here are a few packaging notes, because as we all know, I'm a packaging geek. Skip the rest of this post if you want packaging surprises.

A couple of little anomalies - the artist name printed on the CDs says Herb Alpert and the (or "& the" on a couple) Tijuana Brass...except on Herb Alpert's Ninth. On that one, the CD says "Herb Alpert and TJB." And, on all the TJB albums, on the spine of the cover, the artist name is listed first - except on "The Beat of the Brass" on which the album title comes first.

I admit to being a LITTLE disappointed in that they said the packaging was going to feature all of the original artwork, yet we don't get the inside gatefolds from Brass Are Comin' and Beat of the Brass, nor do we get the inside sleeve (with pictures) from Main Event Live. These are nitpicks though; we get the front and back covers and they look great.

That also was the way it appeared on the LP.

I had ordered 22 of the new releases, skipping WHIPPED CREAM and CHRISTMAS ALBUM since I already have those. And though I'm a completist, I didn't feel the need for the two recent Herb albums with Lani since those already came in mini-LP packages.

For some reason, Amazon split my order of 22 into two shipments, only one of which has arrived at the moment. So currently, I have in hand, THE LONELY BULL, SOUTH OF THE BORDER, WHAT NOW MY LOVE, BEYOND, and MAGIC MAN. None of that bunch is terribly exciting as they are none of the newly unique-to-this-pressing bunch. So I've not yet opened any of them. One annoyance is the shrink wrapping. It's so tight on THE LONELY BULL that the back cover is bent towards the spine. And MAGIC MAN has one of those not-squared spines that's severely bent in one direction. I'll attempt to straighten these when I remove the shrink wrap.

By the way, I love the fact that the "Herb Alpert Presents" address is 1414 6th Street, Santa Monica. It's very reminiscent of the 1416 North LaBrea address.

Just got my haul of CD's from Amazon...I ordered everything not already covered by Shout Factory or ConcordJazz. I agree with Harry about the severely bent spine on Magic Man...but I had no trouble with the shrink wrap. I have already listened to You Smile.... (I listened to that original LP so much I wore it out way back in junior high school...when I first really got into his music...so it was fun to listen to it again, all cleaned up. Just hope Just You and Me makes it out sometime...I think that is the only CD I don't have, but at least I have a decent LP. I guess I'm a real completist now.
I'll check out that 1414 6th St. address tomorrow as I'll be in Santa Monica for....wait for it....Herb and Lani's benefit concert right in that neighborhood. There is supposed to be a reception afterwards, so maybe I'll actually get to meet them. Maybe ask to play his trumpet just to compare it to my Bach...NOT. Be funny though, at least to me, just to see his face wince in pain. If I get the chance to actually say something, I will be polite, and not be a jerk, LOL.

Got em!
Two amazon shipments for me as well, but they're all there....and the CD spines look great resting there on the shelf. I love small touches like that.
Man, I can't wait to dive in later tonight...starting with the debut and right into volume 2. SOTB being my favorite, will be tomorrow night's main feature.
Great time to be a TJB fan.

For some reason, Amazon split my order of 22 into two shipments,

Two shipments here as well...each box was big enough to hold at least 20 CDs or more, but there were 3 in one and all the rest in the other. I guess Amazon knows what they're doing, multibillion dollar company that they are.

I took the slower shipping option to save money. Probably won't see my shipment until Tuesday or so. Got to keep an eye out for those shipping notifications - don't want my LPs laying around somewhere.

As i mentioned elsewhere i got 5 out of the 9 i planned to get ( they were sent to me as a late birthday gift) and i ordered the remaining 4 today two of them are out of stock right now but its ok and so far so good after this there are only 5 more i need to get on cd and i will have a digital cd version of every Herb alpert release both TJB and Solo.

As Mike mentioned, it's a little odd that the actual original gatefold albums don't reproduce the original insides of the albums, though that long thank you spiel on Brass Are Comin' would probably be illegible at whatever font size would be required, even for those who unlike me aren't dealing with aging eyes. Someone needed to proofread credits a bit better, though. Henry Mancici? Really?

I bought everything out on cd except for the recent releases (stuff from Steppin' Out to the present). Have started listening to the ones that were not originally digitally recorded. The sound on these is an improvement, without question. I was never much for the "record" Midnight Sun, but I have to say that with this remaster it is lush and lovely. The remastering on North on South St. is quite good. Enjoying I Can't Stop Thinking About You - one of my favorite tracks. Have always liked this original version better than the redo on Second Wind (a record I otherwise really like). Salute to the remastering team!

As previously noted, though, the names are a bit confusing - Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass (or and the Tijuana Brass). A challenge for filing in electronic files, on iTunes, etc.

(Oh, on the main order I made I got my stuff in multiple shipments, too from Amazon, and yes, two of them were quite dented in the cd sleeves. The shrinkwrap was probably too tightlty done on them. An annoyance but not a big deal in the long run.) .

Really?! That's surprising! I don't think I ever had that album on LP.
Here ya go, Mike. The original lp of Herb Alpert's Ninth, with "Herb Alpert & TJB" on the ochre label:
8853d1093f7bef21fc95e7ff529a28e5.jpg

As Mike mentioned, it's a little odd that the actual original gatefold albums don't reproduce the original insides of the albums, though that long thank you spiel on Brass Are Comin' would probably be illegible at whatever font size would be required, even for those who unlike me aren't dealing with aging eyes. Someone needed to proofread credits a bit better, though. Henry Mancici? Really?

"A Quite Tear"

Have NOT seen the new CDs at any of the WalMarts and Targets I visited; only the one Barnes and Nobles in Union, NJ had the ones I mentioned above; and only a few Barnes and Nobles carry CDs anymore anyway (from what I have experienced.). BTW, Best Buy in Bridegewater, NJ did not have any Herb CDs either. Glad I Amazoned; getting them Thursday, September 15.

Back
Top Bottom