The CD Reissues are Wonderful.

Bobberman

I thought i would chime in on the Herb Alpert Cd Reissues today I recieved 5 of the 8 cds i planned and i am really impressed by the remastering and on the overall look of the covers as well as the improved sound of the TJB volume 2 and that extra extention on " Darlin" from summertime and i noticed a couple of titles are out of stock at the time im writing this " Magic Man and Coney Island but i ordered them anyway they must have sold out lol. Nevertheless i thought id just let you all know of my experience with what i have so far 5 down and 4 more to go. Here is what showed up so far
1. Volume 2
2.Warm
3.The Brass are Comin
4.Summertime
5.You Smile the Song Begins
And still yet to come.
6.Coney Island
7 Main Event Live
8. Beyond
9.Magic man
I hope you all enjoy your respective choice CDs or Lps in this latest round I Guarantee you wont be Disappointed. They were well worth the wait.

HI there Lonely bull. I got mine from amazon U.S which has become my primary source these days especially for new releases since other places where i live have become unreliable.

The WHAT NOW MY LOVE reissue sounds like it always has on CD in terms of mixes. "Brasilia" is sans-trombone in the opening and "Plucky" has the dixieland section.

Greetings from Minneapolis,

My Amazon order of Coney Island and You Smile now is estimating delayed delivery between Sept. 26 and Nov. 4. Perhaps this means that demand was higher than expected! I have four others on the way (Warm, Summertime, TBAC, and Main Event Live) that appear to be on schedule.

Anyway, I do not mean to complain, just excited to get copies of this great music. I was playing my trumpet along with the iTunes version of She-Been a while ago and had a great time.

Did anyone notice the typos on the back of the Coney Island CD? They spell Papito Hernandez's last name as "Hernadez". Then on the credits for "Carmine" it says "arranged and orchetsrated" by Herb Alpert.

71jQ2voNeEL._SL1200_.jpg

Did anyone notice the typos on the back of the Coney Island CD? They spell Papito Hernandez's last name as "Hernadez". Then on the credits for "Carmine" it says "arranged and orchetsrated" by Herb Alpert.

Someone needs to time-travel back to the mid 70s and reprimand the art department. :D

From the Mistakes-Copied-Over-And-Over Department: "A Walk In The Black Forest" is still listed as having been composed by two names: Schwarzwaldfahrt and Jankowski. The fact of the matter is that the song was composed purely by Horst Jankowski, and "Schwarzwaldfahrt" is German for "A Walk In The Black Forest"!

The old US A&M CD got it right, as did the Japanese POCM-1949, but it's wrong on the original LP labels, the Shout CD reissue, and now the new HAP version.

I believe they were wanting to be replicating what was originally put out. So if it was somehow incorrect originally, I don't think they would've sought to correct in the reissues.

I believe they were wanting to be replicating what was originally put out.
That was the idea. :agree: It was more about authenticity in packaging and restoration of the original tapes (which in some cases are slowly deteriorating further). No "collector" liner notes, deluxe packaging, bonus tracks, etc.

BTW, since I'm not buying the CDs, I wondered what kind of packaging they are arriving in. Are these mini-LP, DigiPak or jewel case?

BTW, since I'm not buying the CDs, I wondered what kind of packaging they are arriving in. Are these mini-LP, DigiPak or jewel case?
The packaging is almost similar to the shout factory gatefolds except you get the front and back cover repros.and as mentioned before no bonus tracks no booklets just the albums and what was originally released.

I believe they were wanting to be replicating what was originally put out. So if it was somehow incorrect originally, I don't think they would've sought to correct in the reissues.

The original Coney Island LP had no spelling issues, which makes this CD perplexing as to how they screwed it up.

The credits text on the original CONEY ISLAND was farther away from the green ribbon. It was likely re-typset so as to eliminate the A&M stuff in the bottom right corner, which would be how the typo was introduced.

That was the idea. :agree: It was more about authenticity in packaging and restoration of the original tapes (which in some cases are slowly deteriorating further). No "collector" liner notes, deluxe packaging, bonus tracks, etc.
Personally, I have no issue with no "extra" liner notes, etc. The music is most important. The replication of the original album front and back covers are neat.

"DigiPak" is not quite right, as that term is a registered trademark meaning a plastic tray with hub attached to a gatefold cardboard. These are similar gatefold styled, but use a pocket with inner opening to hold the disc.

I believe that HERB ALPERT-HUGH MASEKELA and the Shout Reissues were the only Herb Alpert titles to use actual DigiPaks.

Last edited:
The replication of the original album front and back covers are neat.
That was one neat thing about the early days of CDs--seeing a lot of favorites appear on the new format, mini versions of the 12" LPs we already owned.

Back then, too, the CDs were sold in "longboxes" that allowed them to be displayed in existing LP racks, plus allegedly would help prevent theft due to the larger packaging. Thankfully that ended, as it was a big waste of packaging IMHO.

The original Coney Island LP had no spelling issues, which makes this CD perplexing as to how they screwed it up.
Ah, gotcha. I don't have the CDs to compare (nor the time to compare them anyway :laugh: ).

From the Mistakes-Copied-Over-And-Over Department: "A Walk In The Black Forest" is still listed as having been composed by two names: Schwarzwaldfahrt and Jankowski. The fact of the matter is that the song was composed purely by Horst Jankowski, and "Schwarzwaldfahrt" is German for "A Walk In The Black Forest"!

The old US A&M CD got it right, as did the Japanese POCM-1949, but it's wrong on the original LP labels, the Shout CD reissue, and now the new HAP version.
On GOING PLACES it has always said "To the music of Mexcio" on the back cover

Here is an update yesterday Coney island and Main event Live showed up and in excellent shape all around so far 7 out of 9 are here next week the final 2 cds will be here " Beyond and Magic Man" Perfect and next month i plan to get "Human Nature" should be Another Winner.

Why are the HAP cds 13 seconds shorter than the Shout cds?

Miniscule differences in the silence between tracks accounts for variances in the lengths of CDs from issue to issue. Take 1 or 2 seconds from each between-track-silence and it could easily add up to 13 seconds.

Miniscule differences in the silence between tracks accounts for variances in the lengths of CDs from issue to issue. Take 1 or 2 seconds from each between-track-silence and it could easily add up to 13 seconds.
Nevertheless regardless of all differences i for one am enjoying my CDs and knowing that i am ever closer to my goal of having at least 1 digital CD Copy of every Herb Alpert album title in my collection Both TJB And solo.. im happy to say the TJB Part is complete. And with 2 more solos from this round done all i need now is 5 More from the solo era. 1 Just you and me 2 The First Herb and Hugh album 3. Blow Your Own Horn. 4. Bullish and 5. Wild Romance. Although i have needledrop cds from my vinyl versions it would be very nice to get them in future CD reissues but Time Will Tell of Course.

Back
Top Bottom