Carpenters "The Nation's Favourites" compilation coming in the UK

I bought my copy today.

It is not showing as actually in the album chart, but it was listed as 'new' and 'as seen on TV' and was given quite a good spot on the shelves.

I took a photo with my phone of the CDs, but uploading photos here seems beyond my limited IT capabilities :)

Anyway, it's a good collection as far as I am concerned as I've heard some versions of tracks that I've not heard for a while.

I watched a couple of documentaries over the last few nights, that believe it or not, I hadn't seen, `only yesterday` and `yesterday once more`.
I have to say, I think I`m more confused now that I was before, but there are certainly `none truths` about all this!
one comment though, blew my chimney stack clean off though and I was blown away. Richards assistant that he ended up dating ( her name escapes me ) and her comment that Richard may well have been relieved by karens death and now only has to deal with his mother :cussing::cussing::crazy:

I watched a couple of documentaries over the last few nights, that believe it or not, I hadn't seen, `only yesterday` and `yesterday once more`.
I have to say, I think I`m more confused now that I was before, but there are certainly `none truths` about all this!
one comment though, blew my chimney stack clean off though and I was blown away. Richards assistant that he ended up dating ( her name escapes me ) and her comment that Richard may well have been relieved by karens death and now only has to deal with his mother :cussing::cussing::crazy:

Which one was that?! I never saw that.

That was Maria Galeazzi from the Yesterday Once More documentary filmed in 1996 :)

Chart Watch: Seeing Double! Duos Rule the Hot 100 »
Chart Watch: Seeing Double! Duos Rule the Hot 100

Paul GreinWriter
September 12, 2016

"Here’s yet another sign of the popularity of duos. Duos occupy both of the top two spots on this week’s Official U.K. Albums Chart.
And not just any kind of duos — sibling duos. Ward Thomas’s Cartwheels debuts at #1. The sister duo is the first country act from the U.K. to land a #1 album.
The Carpenters’ The Nation’s Favourite Carpenters Songs (a tie-in to a recent music doc that aired in the U.K.) debuts at #2.
It’s the brother-sister duo’s 10th top 10 album in that country. But here’s the best part:
At least one Carpenters hits compilation has reached the top 10 in the U.K. in five consecutive decades.
If that’s not a sign of staying power, I don’t know what is."

I know it`s a tad off topic, but has anyone been to this and am I the only one who`d want my money back?

The Carpenters Story Tickets - Tour Dates & Tickets - ATG Tickets »

DAMI IM would have been better!

You wouldn't get me paying to go and see that. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of really decent Carpenters tribute acts out there. Wendy Roberts and Phil Aldridge came closest but they disbanded years ago.

I found this interview with Wendy from 2002 which is an interesting read, especially the opening line about "husband and wife duo The Carpenters" :laugh:

Chip Off The Old Block »

Last edited:
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Yeah, well, just so everyone is aware, this website received a cease and desist note from ITV's lawyers. The posted links to the program have now been removed from this thread. Please refrain from posting links like this in an open forum.

[QUOTE="

DAMI IM would have been better![/QUOTE]

I suppose this has already been discussed here but Dami Im's album, 'Classic Carpenters', debuted at Number One on Australian album charts earlier this year. I've obviously had my head in the sand because, although I'm an Aussie, I've only just learnt of the album. You might have seen Dami Im come second in Eurovision this year with 'Sounds of Silence'. (I've only just learnt of that performance , too). Dami Im has said that Karen Carpenter is her idol and that her resonance as an artist runs deep. She says of her 'Classic Carpenters' album, 'My intention wasn't to copy Karen Carpenter's voice or her tone. Our voices naturally sound so different, so I tried to bring out the joy and the innocence in the songs while trying to sing them as honestly and rawly as I could, as Dami'. In the performances that I have just seen on YouTube, I think she has been successful in doing that. In a live performance that I just saw on YouTube, she brings a new emotional dimension to 'I Need to Be In Love '. When I saw this clip, it was like hearing the lyrics for the first time again. (I still clearly remember standing under the mallee trees near our chook house on our farm in mid-1976 listening carefully to the lyrics of The Carpenters' version for the first time when it was peaking on American Top 40, which our local radio station used to play each week). Although I have not necessarily been a Dami Im fan in the past, although I haven't disliked her performances, either, I like a few things about the fact that she has released a Carpenters tribute album. For starters, it's more than likely introduced the music of The Carpenters to a younger generation of Australians who had probably never heard of Karen and Richard. Secondly, it's presented new interpretations of the songs. And, thirdly, it's unearthed a different perspective from the public towards The Carpenters. For instance, all the TV presenters and reviewers, etc., seem to have spoken or written with affection, enthusiasm and respect about The Carpenters' music. The vibe that is growing out there seems to be that it's cool to like Carpenters. Btw, one TV show described Olivia Newton-John as Karen's best friend and played a snippet of a clip of Olivia's 'Yesterday Once More', for those of you who are ONJ fans.

Last edited:
And while we're on the subject of great chart positions, I thought I'd go slightly off-topic and post the uk album weekly positions for the big one... SINGLES '69-73.

Each number below represents a weekly UK album chart position starting 26th Jan '74 and ending 18th Oct '75 when it officially left the UK top 20.
Pretty amazing, huh, 3rd biggest seeling album of the decade.

Just thought I'd add some pics for those who might be on the fence about getting this compilation.

Front cover:

carpenters-nations-favourite-IMG_0279.jpg

I'm not crazy about the "As Seen On iTV" logo on the lower right of the cover. I wish it was just a sticker on the outer wrap that gets thrown out. Oh well.

Back cover of the booklet and the disc:

carpenters-nations-favourite-IMG_0280.jpg

Image underneath the jewel case spindle:

carpenters-nations-favourite-IMG_0281.jpg

That back cover really irked me when I saw a copy in a record store and picked it up to have a look. The word "you" in I Won't Last A Day Without You" is on a line of its own, which looks like a sloppy formatting error to me.

Thanks for the scans, this looks like a nice set to own and yeah I agree Stephen a single line with just the word "you" looks weird, I can't believe someone didn't see that and go huh, let's fix that. It makes it look like there are 2 CD's inside with that break.

Avoid page 8 of the booklet then. They failed to leave a space between the remainder of one of Richard's answers and the next question. It irritated me for a while, especially as there was enough space on the rest of the page to leave a line and still fit the remaining text on the page. Actually, it still irritates me. Did anyone proof read it? Er, my wife is now giving me a look of despair.

Back
Top Bottom