🎄 Holidays! EXCLUSIVE! Merry Christmas, Darling: Carpenters Public TV Special and DVD

So I had been checking the website if our pbs station here in St. Louis and had seen nothing listed.
Just check back and it showed yesterday.
But will show again this next week.

Thanks for this! I was looking for it on the two stations I get (PBS and KVCR? I think) and couldn't find it on either. Will try to get out of work early that day to get home in time to watch!
Or have you thought about setting the DVR, or if you don't have a DVR a VHS VCR or a set top DVD Recorder to record the program?

Just for those who get WTVS Detroit my cable guide is showing that the special will be aired tomorrow from 7:30-9:30 p.m., and then re-aired Friday from 2-4 a.m.

Watched this last night on KOCE out of Los Angeles (it was in the netherworld of my DirecTV listing, so glad I found it). I really loved Richard's narration of the origin of songs and why and how they were chosen. I can't wait to get my own copy and see the entire "collection" with Richard's narrations. And yes, too bad Toyland was not included!!

My hope of getting this set before Christmas is diminishing.

How long, or when, did you place your order? I placed mine last Friday through KQED in San Francisco (of which I am not in their broadcast area). I was hoping to receive it before Christmas, too. I bought my "Complete Singles" package through them, too, but don't recall it taking an inordinate amount of time to receive the package.

I was originally going to order through KQED since I did with the singles thinking it would be faster but I got an email from them that it would not arrive before Christmas.

I have a feeling we won't see these before Christmas. We still have no idea where there being mailed from and the PBS studios have no idea as well.

I was originally going to order through KQED since I did with the singles thinking it would be faster but I got an email from them that it would not arrive before Christmas.

I have a feeling we won't see these before Christmas. We still have no idea where there being mailed from and the PBS studios have no idea as well.

Just checked my "confirmation" e-mail again and it states "allow up-to four to six weeks." So, not sure how to interpret that. Does it mean anytime between now and four weeks; between now and six weeks; or between four and six weeks? If the latter is true, then it should say "between" and not "up-to." "Up-to" implies it could arrive before four weeks, right? "Between" would mean at least four weeks but not longer than six weeks. And it doesn't say that.

My feeling is that it will get here when it gets here. Many Carpenters fans play the Christmas stuff during the year anyway, and if yours arrives in the middle of January, are you going to deny yourself the joy of watching it just because it isn't the Christmas season anymore? I don't think that will apply to very many, if any at all. Once it DOES start arriving, the viewings and discussions will continue right here or in another thread.

it states "allow up-to four to six weeks." So, not sure how to interpret that. Does it mean anytime between now and four weeks; between now and six weeks; or between four and six weeks? If the latter is true, then it should say "between" and not "up-to." "Up-to" implies it could arrive before four weeks, right? "Between" would mean at least four weeks but not longer than six weeks. And it doesn't say that.

Anytime you see something like that, it's an indicator that the actual product hasn't been manufactured yet; they are waiting to see how many they're going to need before they put an order into the manufacturer. So if you get your order in just before the end of the ordering period, you'll get the item relatively fast; but if you ordered right when it went on sale, you'll wait longer. The reason they say "up to 4 - 6 weeks" (which admittedly is bad wording) that just means it might take up to that long, but maybe not. In this case, they're probably figuring on people being more "motivated" to order closer to Christmas just due to the holiday itself, but they might not be able to deliver that fast. It all depends on when they submitted the order to the manufacturers.

Anytime you see something like that, it's an indicator that the actual product hasn't been manufactured yet; they are waiting to see how many they're going to need before they put an order into the manufacturer. So if you get your order in just before the end of the ordering period, you'll get the item relatively fast; but if you ordered right when it went on sale, you'll wait longer. The reason they say "up to 4 - 6 weeks" (which admittedly is bad wording) that just means it might take up to that long, but maybe not. In this case, they're probably figuring on people being more "motivated" to order closer to Christmas just due to the holiday itself, but they might not be able to deliver that fast. It all depends on when they submitted the order to the manufacturers.

That makes sense. So if the Public Broadcasting Station hasn't even aired the special yet, then there might not be any orders in; however, if they aired the special early and multiple times, then there might be plenty of orders coming in and multiple "runs" in production.

It sounds like a lot of "if's" to me...so if someone ordered early like some of us did when it appeared on some stations website even before the show aired we might be waiting a lot longer than someone who orders this weekend and if this weekend is the time they are available to ship the person who orders this weekend might even get the DVD before the people who ordered it well in advanced.

PBS seems to take a generic high road to when gifts are mailed could be more than a month or it could be next week. Heck I'm in no rush really it's going to arrive when it arrives and I can't change anything. I've waited years and years for this, what is another few weeks?

My only gripe to PBS and whoever is making these and distributing them out to PBS members is that it's a Christmas DVD plain and simple. They should have had them already produced, ok maybe not all of them but how about at least a couple thousand so that when it's being offered it would arrive before Christmas. It's like what was the hold up, was the idea a last minute decision to produced these DVDs or did they take longer than expected for Richard to get the footage to marketing process, could the idea have been put together in July and DVD's created in Sept/Oct so they were ready for mailing in Nov? Like I said so many if's to consider. It's like I could get the DVD tomorrow or it might not come till Jan 2017 :laugh:

Don't misread me because I'm super excited about this and happy it will arrive soon. It just would have been icing on the cake to arrive before Christmas. :santawave:

I guess it's only natural to wonder when your item has shipped when your spending over $70.00 even if it was a donation.

Last edited:
Ironically, I've gotten this in my email in the past 12 hours:

ChristmasDVDSnip.JPG

Looks like I should have it in the next few days.

Ironically, I've gotten this in my email in the past 12 hours:

ChristmasDVDSnip.JPG

Looks like I should have it in the next few days.

I received a similar email from WNED ( at 2:07 am) stating my DVD will be sent today from Warminster PA. I won't get it for at least 7-10 days since that is how long it normally takes for me to receive items shipped from the U.S. to my address in Canada.

I received a similar email from WNED ( at 2:07 am) stating my DVD was sent yesterday from Warminster PA. I won't get it for at least 7-10 days since that is how long it normally takes for me to receive items shipped from the U.S. to my address in Canada.

I thought it was being sent today but I re-checked the email and it says it was sent yesterday (December 8th) by UPS Mail Innovations. I can't wait to receive it!

I received an email from Connecticut Public Television late last night that my DVD was shipped yesterday from Pennsylvania. Should receive it sometime next week.

I'm online with Rick. I ordered before any broadcasting when it was not even on most PBS websites (unfortunately local high school sports always pre-empts it locally) with anticipation and have not heard anything but excited for all of you who have seen it recently and have been delivered good news of delivery. I have waited since 1977 so a few more weeks is OK to me. If memory serves, it was a year after the first Christmas special that album Christmas Portrait was released: now that was a long wait!

Though I didn't get any notice of shipping from Iowa Public Television mine arrived this afternoon! Just finished watching it. It was really great to see these performances in high quality. I won't go into the details to avoid "spoilers" for those still waiting on theirs, but there are a few surprises here. Overall a great holiday treat!

Though I didn't get any notice of shipping from Iowa Public Television mine arrived this afternoon! Just finished watching it. It was really great to see these performances in high quality. I won't go into the details to avoid "spoilers" for those still waiting on theirs, but there are a few surprises here. Overall a great holiday treat!
Excellent, then mine must have at least shipped. I have hope.

Happy to hear that Iowa has shipped as well since many of us ordered from there. Yay! Thanks so much. Isn't great that after all these years we get this Christmas gift? We've been wishing collectively for so long. Happy Holiday!

post-pics-please

In terms of quality, how does it compare to the previously released "Perry Como Christmas Show" from 1974? Obviously they are all from 1970's composite video masters, how are the transfers?

Back
Top Bottom