Unreleased Brasil '66 songs?

TulitaPepsi

Happy New Year. Curious to know if anyone has heard about any unreleased Brasil '66 songs hiding somewhere in the Universal (or Sergio's private) vaults. There has to be something!

Well, there's "The Christmas Song", which saw only limited release on SOMETHING FESTIVE. I'm betting that with only 10-11 tracks per album, there were some leftovers. Maybe enough for a full album.

Well, there's "The Christmas Song", which saw only limited release on SOMETHING FESTIVE. I'm betting that with only 10-11 tracks per album, there were some leftovers. Maybe enough for a full album.

Sergio's "The Christmas Song" also is included on "music diary - december - christmas time" (UNI Japan UICY-4429) from 2007. Claudine, Burt, Pete Jolly & BMB provide 5 more tracks on it as well.

I have a feeling that a lot of what was left would have been destroyed in the latest Universal fire. Anything sourced from A&M now I would be concerned about, regarding sources. Even the Joe Jackson 180g reissues on Intervention Records were made from backup safeties since the original 2-track masters were lost in the fire.

It's hard to say about Sergio, but I remember some interview with one of the TJB band members saying that Herb was always in the studio tinkering with songs. Which makes me wonder if, let's just say What Now My Love is about to finish running its course and so Herb goes to look in the vault and see what they've got for the next album...as opposed to going into the studio for the express purpose of recording one specific album. If that's what Sergio did, then it's possible there aren't a lot of extra bits laying around...they may have used them up as they went along. On the other hand, we had the TJB's Lost Treasures album so anything is possible. But Herb's music may have been better preserved than Sergio's, maybe due to him having closer ownership of it for more years than Sergio had of his.

I do think for whatever reason, Sergio's music has stayed in print more than Herb's has over the years, probably due to his international popularity, so maybe his masters have more duplicates around. But that fire certainly could have (and probably did) consume a few leftover gems, for sure.

Just some thoughts. Speculating is fun.

I would think that anything unfinished would have been on multitracks. So, like with Lost Treasures, they would have had to be mixed (and missing parts recorded) before being released. Anything finished would have been non-album singles, non-album B-sides, or finished by not released....and if that is the case, someone probably would have grabbed an unreleased track by now to stick on a compilation (since, of course, they have to include that one bonus track to get you to buy music you already own :wink: ).

Sergio has been on so many labels that it's hard to imagine where things might be scattered between the US and Brazil--Philips, Atlantic, A&M, Bell, Verve, Okeh, etc. have all been among the labels he's released recordings on.

I posted a long time ago that there's a mystery Atlantic track a friend of mine found that sure sounds like (instrumental) Sergio. There are tons of tunes both Brasil 66 and Brasil 77 did live that they never officially recorded. I have a couple of bootlegs of those, but I've always wondered if there might be soundboard recordings sitting around in Sergio's garage. :wink:

At a Brasil '66 concert I attended on Friday, Oct. 27th, 1967 in Rochester, Michigan (their 'Equinox' set), they performed "The Shadow of Your Smile" as an encore, with Lani as the lead singer. It's possible that this song was recorded in the studio, but who knows.......? I don't recall any 'new' songs when I saw them perform their 'HAP' set in August '67 nor in July '70 ('FOTH set' I think).......

Back
Top Bottom