Other Female Singers

Dianne Elise doing the remake of Savage Garden 2000 song "I Knew I Loved You": Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Dianne Elise doing the remake of the late Natalie Cole 1989 song "Miss You Like Crazy" (duet singer unknown): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Dianne Elise doing the remake of Michael Bolton 1987 song "That's What Love Is All About": Matt Clark Sanford, MI

i`ve thought about this lately, not so much who i actually listen to, but who could come close to Karen carpenters voice. i few nights ago, we were enjoying a late night drink outside with the neighbours and given they are carpenters fans as well, we discussed this. having an idea before hand anyway, there was only one person i could think of who i think would be a good 2nd and that's celine dion.

i`ve thought about this lately, not so much who i actually listen to, but who could come close to Karen carpenters voice. i few nights ago, we were enjoying a late night drink outside with the neighbours and given they are carpenters fans as well, we discussed this. having an idea before hand anyway, there was only one person i could think of who i think would be a good 2nd and that's celine dion.

Different style of vocalist but the description "in a class of her own" equally fits Celine as it does Karen. Celine is just amazing and her shows are breathtaking.

I am excited to hear this album......

Album Review:
Harriet »

Harriet

"Seven seconds into the opening Afterglow, it is impossible not to state the obvious here; Harriet's vocal instantly reminds you of Karen Carpenter.
A huge compliment to anyone.
But unless you are looking to win Stars In Their Eyes, it perhaps creates more problems than benefits.
After all, Harriet surely wants to sound like Harriet.
After some attention from Radio 2, with Graham Norton and Ken Bruce among her fans, the Hertfordshire singer is now
looking to build on that with her debut album and establish her own personality."

"Harriet says that as a child she was rocket to sleep listening to The Carpenters and obviously that influence has seeped through,
because as well as the voice, this collection of 12 songs has that fragile elegance of the likes of Solitaire or Close To You.
Afterglow and Broken For You are perfect radio playlist fodder.
At times it feels like the handbrake is on and the safety valve needs to be released,
as some of the songs float by, leaving on a passing impression.
But things get more interesting on the likes of Take That style of Fly or Love Will Burn,
with its epic orchestral sweeps and darker tones that remind you of a Bond theme, as Harriet sings about wounds that heal over time."

"More subtle are the charms of the Judie Tzuke co-write First And Last, which feels like a song that's been around for forty years.
The stand out moment here though is the delicious Broken For You, which has been around the airwaves for a while now.
Steve Anderson's production has blended Harriet's perfect tones over a sublime melody that weaves its way into your soul.
More of this in the future will be very welcome."

"Many singers have come and gone who have 'the voice' but lack the tunes.
Harriet has both and also a stunning blue-eyed smile to match the beauty of her warm vulnerable vocals.
You're likely to hear and see a lot more of her over the next few years."

I have also been closely following Harriet's career and buying every release! I adore her voice, yes, she is as close to Karen vocally as I have ever heard, yet she has her own style and she also writes music. I am also very fond of Rumer and closely follow her as well. Hoping both women will find success.

I have also been closely following Harriet's career and buying every release! I adore her voice, yes, she is as close to Karen vocally as I have ever heard, yet she has her own style and she also writes music. I am also very fond of Rumer and closely follow her as well. Hoping both women will find success.

I've tried to like both of these singers but I keep coming back to the fact that I don't want to listen to singers who sound like Karen - I just want to listen to Karen.

I think that's what the writer of this review was saying when he wrote "Harriet's vocal instantly reminds you of Karen Carpenter. A huge compliment to anyone. But unless you are looking to win Stars In Their Eyes, it perhaps creates more problems than benefits. After all, Harriet surely wants to sound like Harriet."

I've tried to like both of these singers but I keep coming back to the fact that I don't want to listen to singers who sound like Karen - I just want to listen to Karen.

I think that's what the writer of this review was saying when he wrote "Harriet's vocal instantly reminds you of Karen Carpenter. A huge compliment to anyone. But unless you are looking to win Stars In Their Eyes, it perhaps creates more problems than benefits. After all, Harriet surely wants to sound like Harriet."
I don't get the impression Harriet is trying to sound like Karen. In fact she avoids singing Carpenters songs, though she seems to be a fan. I think it's her natural voice. She wrote "What's Mine is Yours" about it.

Finally, some positive News regarding
Helen Reddy:
"But perhaps the most unexpected appearance of the night came from 70’s Australian superstar singer Helen Reddy,
who was introduced by actress Sheryl Lee Ralph to the strains of “I Am Woman”, her female power anthem from 1972.
“She didn’t have to come far because she lives right over there,” said Ralph, pointing to the MPTF housing units where the 74 year old Reddy now resides.
She sang a flawless rendition of her hit, “You And Me Against The World” that also brought the crowd to its feet.
Reddy and Semel are examples of how the Motion Picture Country Home is now home to so many different people from so many different facets of the industry."

And:
Steve Smith: Helen Reddy’s surprise performance in Woodland Hills, new Stones album, Brooks breaks record »

"Reddy was introduced by actress Sheryl Lee Ralph.
She then emerged as the orchestra played her 1972 anthem to female empowerment,
“I Am Woman,” before singing a pitch-perfect take on her 1974 hit, “You and Me against the World,”
that was a No. 1 biggie on Billboard’s adult contemporary chart (it reached No. 9 on its Hot 100 pop singles chart).
On Saturday, her version brought the crowd to its feet."
"These days, Reddy is a resident at the home, a fact Ralph pointed out, saying,
“She didn’t have to come far because she lives right over there,” pointing to the MPTF’s housing units.
From 2012 through 2015, after a decade away from the music world, she emerged to give a handful of intimate performances,
including a benefit for St. Genevieve High School in Panorama City at the school and a pair of shows at the cozy Catalina Jazz Club in Beverly Hills."
"Reddy has dabbled in acting numerous times through the years, from her debut as a nun in the 1974 disaster epic, “Airport 1975” to her final television guest star role on a 2000 episode of Dick Van Dyke’s “Diagnosis Murder.” In that episode, appropriately titled, “Swan Song,” art imitates life as Reddy plays a singing star who is devastated by the realization that she is suffering from the beginning stages of dementia and she doesn’t know how to deal with it."

It's here:

Barbara Dickson. My mum had a couple of her albums and I'd forgotten how good she is. The following performance is a live one.

Not sure if this was posted but I bought Linda Eder CD "Christmas Stays The Same" (from 2000). What are your thoughts?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Not a singer but violinist Lindsey Stirling is one amazing performer. Got all 3 CD's at Target (with the bonus tracks) & "Live In London" DVD. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve by Kacey Musgraves. I recently purchased Ella Wishes You A Swinging Christmas and it was the first time I'd heard the additional intro of "when the bells all ring and the horns all blow..." for the song. I wonder why Richard and Karen didn't record the intro considering they'd included similar intros on White Christmas and the Christmas Song?

WOW- beautiful and beautiful presentation. Reminds me of seeing Linda Ronstadt when she toured promoting her What's New? album. Would have loved to see Karen pull off a look like this.

Helen Reddy News
Singer Helen Reddy feeling 'great' »

JANUARY 23, 2017 :
Singer Helen Reddy feeling 'great':
"I Am Woman singer Helen Reddy is still roaring despite battling dementia."
In her first interview since being diagnosed with the condition in 2015, the Australian Grammy-winning singer and trailblazer says she's feeling "great".
"I really love the life that I have. I take every day as it comes,"
the 75-year-old told Network Ten's Studio 10

Recently I've really been getting into Amy Winehouse. Though she may not be the best role model, she had a great voice in my opinion.

The Amy Winehouse song "Rehab" (when she says "No, no, no") gets me every time. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

My list of the also-rans I believe have/had talent besides Karen; Linda Ronstadt (I believe her rendition of "Desperado" is the definitive version), Patsy Cline, Jo Stafford, Judy Garland, Rita Coolidge (her rendition of Boz Scaggs "We're All Alone" is exquisite) , Cass Elliot (a lovely melodic voice), Roberta Flack, Dusty Springfield, Emmylou Harris, Celine Dion (absolutely beautiful voice with great emotional interpretation of the lyrics), and Diana Krall (this is based on concert footage I saw on YouTube with her playing a grand piano w/full orchestra singing "The Look of Love"). I am sure there are others, but I can't think of them right now.

On my definite NOT list; Adele (reminds me of my wife yelling at me), Cher (a fashion show, not a singer), Bette Midler (a performance artist, not a singer), Madonna (Yuck!, no comment), Helen Reddy (to nasally), Whitney Houston (sings at you, too much theatrics), Anne Murray (so-so, never understood the widespread appeal) and others that do not come to mind at this time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom