Watch Grammys on CBS Sunday Night!

Steve Sidoruk

Founder, A&M Fan Net
Staff member
Herb & Lani are due to attend the Grammys Sunday!

From the GRAMMY site:

Herb Alpert
is among the nominees for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album for Human Nature. (The title track is the John Bettis/Steve Porcaro song made famous by Michael Jackson.) Alpert received his first GRAMMY nominations (and awards) for 1965 for his work with the Tijuana Brass.

The Grammys have a Facebook page. Not sure if they read a lot of the posts, but that could be a good spot for "suggestions." :whistle:

I won't watch, because it's pretty likely to be a big political toilet bowl just like the Golden Globes show was....that, along with the fact that most of the music will be outside my tastes, coupled with the other fact that all awards shows are incredibly slow-paced and boring....I have zero desire to watch. I'm still rooting for Herb to win though, but since he was a recent winner the odds may be against him.

We usually have it on each year. Since I don't listen to radio anymore it's the one time that I hear what's new. But I never watch it - I usually close my eyes and listen, and usually am not impressed. I understand not having to deal with the political rants - I get enough of that BS online. But the Grammys are pretty good at cutting people off - at least they have been in the past. I imagine Herb's category will be in the pre-televised part and will get the results online. Jazz has been missing from the past few telecasts as well. I guess they're too busy putting that Kartrashian garbage on instead. :rolleyes:

I won't watch, because it's pretty likely to be a big political toilet bowl just like the Golden Globes show was....

I understand not having to deal with the political rants - I get enough of that BS online.

Lately, celebs don't know when to keep their frickin' butt-hurt mouths shut. There will be some commentary for certain, and nobody really wants to hear it. If I tune into a music production, I expect to see/hear music. I haven't watched the Grammys in 25 years and don't plan to start now.

When I was still in the music business I would tape the show, and just FF-over the commercials, tributes, speeches (unless it was somebody I cared about), and musical numbers. I could snag the main categories and watch the parts I cared about in about 45 minutes. I still do the same thing with the Academy Awards, since I'm still in show biz. The rest of the awards shows are just fluff to me -- the Grammys, Tonys and Oscars are the only ones that really mean much.

What's kind of fun is all the hoopla the Hollywood Reporter puts into awards season -- they go nuts with special issues, lots of interviews and such. They always have plenty of retrospectives on what happened on the shows -- plus you can always find those famous "moments" on Youtube or whatever. So there's not much need to actually watch anymore, even if you're truly interested.

I used to follow the Grammy jazz and Latin award categories if I knew someone I was rooting for, but they all got a bum deal when they were pushed out of the broadcast. To me, those were more interesting than the mainstream categories, and I also liked the awards for box sets, engineering, etc. Most of it is just a popularity contest among industry insiders anyway, but the results certainly help with marketing.

I think if they were more like the awards used to be in the 70s and 80s, I'd bother watching. These days I'll just look online and see if anything I know has won. The only time broadcast TV goes on here is for a hockey game or Wolverines football. Which reminds me, Hockey Night in Canada is on shortly... :wink:

Unfortunately, Herb lost out to Snarky Puppy's "Culcha Vulcha" in the pre-GRAMMY ceremonies.

11.Best Contemporary Instrumental Album
winner.png

WINNER
Culcha Vulcha
Snarky Puppy

Label:
Ground Up Music
Human Nature
Herb Alpert

Label:
Herb Alpert Presents
When You Wish Upon A Star
Bill Frisell

Label:
Okeh Records
Way Back Home: Live From Rochester, NY
Steve Gadd Band

Label:
BFM Jazz
Unspoken
Chuck Loeb

Label:
Shanachie Entertainment

I hope Herb didn't have to endure the whole show. I was at the 1984 Grammys. Even with Michael Jackson it's was a tedious night...

Unfortunately, Herb lost out to Snarky Puppy's "Culcha Vulcha" in the pre-GRAMMY ceremonies.

11.Best Contemporary Instrumental Album
winner.png

WINNER
Culcha Vulcha
Snarky Puppy

Label:
Ground Up Music
Human Nature
Herb Alpert

Label:
Herb Alpert Presents
When You Wish Upon A Star
Bill Frisell

Label:
Okeh Records
Way Back Home: Live From Rochester, NY
Steve Gadd Band

Label:
BFM Jazz
Unspoken
Chuck Loeb

Label:
Shanachie Entertainment
Well at Least Herb Was nominated. But i never heard of Snarky puppy the name alone seems suspicious. IMO i for one used to love the grammy's as well as the American Music award shows until the late 80s the thrill was gone after that as i knew things in the music world were rapidly changing and unfortunately Not For The Best. So i just stayed with what always works for me musically without The Nonsense the industry was and Is Still Trying to Shove down our throats. Even today.

I hope Herb didn't have to endure the whole show. I was at the 1984 Grammys. Even with Michael Jackson it's was a tedious night...
I know a few folks in the biz myself who have attended, and "tedious" is putting it mildly. :agree:

They're actually a pretty fun group to hear live. Very energetic.
Hmm...I will have to give them a spin on Tidal later today. :thumbsup:

I checked them out on Youtube and Captain is right they are pretty good fun to watch and the music is very good too. Thank You Captain for Introducing me to something new.

Back
Top Bottom