Anybody else LOVE "Flamingo" by Herb Alpert & The TJB as much as I do?

I've come to really appreciate "Flamingo" in its mono form from the single or mono SRO.

There's a noisy version of it here:

I like the cohesiveness of the "wall of sound" in mono.

I always Enjoyed Herb's version of Flamingo i first heard it on the radio on a Station in Salt Lake City in 1977 when i was really starting to get into the TJB When the dj back announced it oh my i was excited unfortunately i wouldnt find an album with it until august 1980 when i finally got Greatest Hits Volume 2 on vinyl and little did i know until i got Solid Brass that it originally came out on S.R.O i loved the song already but Herb's" Wall of sound" approach really made it even better and i enjoy it even more today. It keeps me feeling a little younger.

I always liked Flamingo. I thought the jingle bells sounded a bit "Christmasy" and that it would have fit in nicely with the Christmas Album.

That's a song that hasn't aged well with me, for some reason. I think I'm sort of put off by the wall-of-sound aspect of it -- it doesn't sound like TJB to me. I feel the same about "Third Man Theme," which I have always liked but it's fallen out of my top favorites list.

I still LIKE both of these songs but I wouldn't put them on a very-best-of-TJB compilation right now. Who knows, my view might change in time. There was a time when I didn't like any "slow" TJB songs... now many of the ballads are among my favorites.

I've come to really appreciate "Flamingo" in its mono form from the single or mono SRO.

There's a noisy version of it here:

I like the cohesiveness of the "wall of sound" in mono.

I agree Harry and i feel the same about the mono SRO album which im fortunate to have along with a CD needledrop and i can say Flamingo is an excellent closing track for the album and as i mentioned previously i also like the stereo version of Flamingo.

Yes. Always have. I have never been a fan of the faux-mariachi stuff. The first TJB song I really loved was "Lollipops and Roses". KMPC in Los Angeles played it off the album. I was 9. I could take or leave "Tijuana Taxi" and "Spanish Flea", so when "Flamingo" came along in '66, I thought it was terrific.

Great tune, great arrangement, great closer to my favorite TJB album. And maybe I'm biased because I love Spector's wall of sound... which of course, hails from the same recording studio.

I love Phil Spector's work. So a great tune from the TJB utilizing the wall of sound and even using the same echo chamber as Spector? Yes, absolutely. It's a great track, and a fantastic closer to one of their finest albums.

Thanks for the bit of trivia... I had no idea it was Hal Blaine on drums here, but now that I play the song back in my head, it makes total sense.

"Flamingo" IMO is the best TJB song ever recorded, and it happens to be on their best lp as well. "Wade In The Water" and "More & More Amor" are my choices for runners up for best song. I agree with Michael (above) regarding "Lollipops & Roses". Certainly an underrated TJB song and a great example of the TJB sound.

Always liked the song Flamingo and the sound and arrangement on the SRO album.

Classic 1960s TJB.

When it comes to the TJB, no album is like any other album and no song is like any other song. Nothing sounds the same.

Two of my favorite TJB tracks are Flamingo and Lollipops & Roses. It's interesting how both of these are album closers. Herb knew how to end an album in very strong fashion. And with sleigh bells.

Back
Top Bottom