2017 Next Herb Re-Issues

Tower was good too, but as I recall, their locations in Philly weren't good for me. Every time I DID do into one of their stores, I came out with a ton of CDs and LaserDiscs.

They finally built a store in the King Of Prussia suburb and that was easier for me to get to, so I haunted that place whenever I could. They were great for imports and oddball stuff - my tastes exactly!

I practically lived in Tower Records on South Street. Bought my very first Wynton Marsalis album, Baroque Music for Trumpets, there. It's an album I love and still play quite often. Got all of my classical stuff there (in the annex on the corner).

As for Sam Goody, I bought the original Magic Man release on cd at the location they had in NYC right by Penn Station. SG was also the first place I saw the Hugh Masekela album Techno-Bush. Why the hell I didn't get it then I have no idea because it took me years to track it down - bought the cassette as the album was never released on CD though its parts are all available on various subsequent compilations. Also bought Masekela's album Uptownship at a location in suburban Philadelphia - a favorite among several of his from the mid to late 1980s into the early 1990s. Was never generally a fan of the store but as has been discussed for awhile they did have a very good selection.

I'll concur with @thesmedman that the discs arrived today, but the spines were crushed in one direction. A little counter-folding after removing the shrink wrap solved the problem for the most part, but this is where buying these thing from a store rack was so much better. You could look at all of their inventory and pick out the spine that was the most squared, and one that had no dents of corner bumps.

The mastering, from my little bit of sampling, sounds superb. A tad extra bass where warranted to beef up the sound a bit goes a long way to modernizing these tracks. Bottom line, they sound great.

If I had any criticism at all, it would be that it would have been nice to include the NOCHE DE AMOR tracks to BLOW YOUR OWN HORN, but I understand that this reissue program is to exactly replicate the albums as they were released, so what we got makes sense in that regard. But since I don't guess that NOCHE DE AMOR will ever see the light of day on CD, those excellent two tracks would be relegated to rarity status forever.

I'll concur with @thesmedman that the discs arrived today, but the spines were crushed in one direction. A little counter-folding after removing the shrink wrap solved the problem for the most part, but this is where buying these thing from a store rack was so much better. You could look at all of their inventory and pick out the spine that was the most squared, and one that had no dents of corner bumps.

The mastering, from my little bit of sampling, sounds superb. A tad extra bass where warranted to beef up the sound a bit goes a long way to modernizing these tracks. Bottom line, they sound great.

If I had any criticism at all, it would be that it would have been nice to include the NOCHE DE AMOR tracks to BLOW YOUR OWN HORN, but I understand that this reissue program is to exactly replicate the albums as they were released, so what we got makes sense in that regard. But since I don't guess that NOCHE DE AMOR will ever see the light of day on CD, those excellent two tracks would be relegated to rarity status forever.
It would be nice if Noche De Amor and the other BYOH track from outside the States were to be released digitally, at the least, or maybe in a new compilation (which would be cool if it included tracks that Mr Alpert has played on by other artists - Maria Conchita Alonso, Jim Brickman, Ry Cooder, etc.)

(which would be cool if it included tracks that Mr Alpert has played on by other artists - Maria Conchita Alonso, Jim Brickman, Ry Cooder, etc.)

I'm pretty sure Herb does not own the rights to those "guest appearances" and they are spread among many labels. All Herb owns are his own tracks from A&M (and the later labels), plus those tracks of Lani Hall from the A&M days. I don't know if he owns the rights to her BRASIL NATIVO album.

I'm pretty sure Herb does not own the rights to those "guest appearances" and they are spread among many labels. All Herb owns are his own tracks from A&M (and the later labels), plus those tracks of Lani Hall from the A&M days. I don't know if he owns the rights to her BRASIL NATIVO album.
I think "Brasil Nativo" was released by Windham Hill which at the time was owned by BMG so i don't think Herb Owns the rights to that one.

It's hard to tell with the rights these days--if the Windham Hill recording was made after Herb got back control of his masters, it is possible that the masters could have been leased to Windham Hill for release. Some long-established artists have learned the hard way what the major labels do (or don't do) with their older recordings, and now will only lease the recordings to labels rather than letting the labels own them.

You guys with crushed/bent packages should do a "defective" return through Amazon. One of two things will happen:

1. They'll send you a new CD in a better shipper and give you a return label for your old one
-or-
2. They'll just credit you for the bent one and you'll have a free CD, albeit with a bent package.

#2 happened to me when I ordered the most recent Yusuf (Cat Stevens) CD -- the outside edge of the CD sleeve looked all chewed up like it'd been dragged across a very rough surface. I asked for a replacement but they just credited me the purchase price.

Either way, you should make your concerns known; they'll upgrade their shippers in the future if they get enough complaints.

I haven't ordered these new releases yet but will probably get Bullish and Herb/Hugh. I hardly ever play BYOH so I'm not so anxious to upgrade that one.

I second what Mike says--if the purchase was through Amazon, they will accommodate for damaged items.

It also makes me wonder if their shipment was handled a bit rough. Their stock might be a bit dinged up for all we know...

As these were just spines folded over too hard in one direction, there's nothing really *wrong* with them. Certainly not enough for me to go through the hassle of returns. I've straightened them out myself and they look fine.

As these were just spines folded over too hard in one direction, there's nothing really *wrong* with them. Certainly not enough for me to go through the hassle of returns. I've straightened them out myself and they look fine.
Same here. I've beaten up Amazon on dinged deliveries in the past but in this case I really do not think it was an Amazon issue but a manufacturing issue related to the shrink wrapping of the disc package. I decided to be nice to Amazon and wrote them a note to alert them of it in case they got any other inquiries but did not ask for any compensation or a replacement. I did what Harry said - straightened the disc covers out the best I could. They still lean a bit - that's true of many of the remasters I have gotten over the past few months.

:sad:

The name is David - I've been trying without success to change the profile name here for some time...doesn't seem to allow me to do so when I sign in...

You would need an administrator's assistance to change your user name. You can contact me with a "conversation" if you want to pursue that.

As these were just spines folded over too hard in one direction, there's nothing really *wrong* with them.

I thought you meant there were actual creases/dents in the cardboard. That over-folding is the main thing I don't like about that type of package...they tend to eventually collapse back into that over-folded state.

I thought you meant there were actual creases/dents in the cardboard. That over-folding is the main thing I don't like about that type of package...they tend to eventually collapse back into that over-folded state.

True. I think it would take a lot of refolding it in the other direction to loosen up both "hinges" and then it would always be a bit sloppy with two weak joints. Most of the first batch that I tried to square seem to have gone back to their over-folded state on my shelf.

Meanwhile all of my jewel cases look nice and pretty all lined up nice and square...

While i Love Jewel cases the most i am happy to say my HAP cd hinges are still properly in place not a corner or edge out of place. Not meaning to boast my apologies. it might be because of the fact that i wasnt able to get mine until the closest payday so my theory is i probably recieved mine from the second availible batch ( i got them all from amazon) just my theory of course I May Be Wrong.

Now that the latest three are out and just as a score-keeping effort, the following are the albums that have not as yet been done in the Herb Alpert Presents series:

JUST YOU & ME
WILD ROMANCE
UNDER A SPANISH MOON
MY ABSTRACT HEART
SECOND WIND
PASSION DANCE
COLORS
LOST TREASURES

Other than JUST YOU & ME, all of the others have been fairly easily obtainable in CD form over the last decade.

At this point, the only definite release is the new Christmas album with a concert tour to support it. However, there are usually other things being discussed. :wink:

Now that the latest three are out and just as a score-keeping effort, the following are the albums that have not as yet been done in the Herb Alpert Presents series:

JUST YOU & ME
WILD ROMANCE
UNDER A SPANISH MOON
MY ABSTRACT HEART
SECOND WIND
PASSION DANCE
COLORS
LOST TREASURES

Other than JUST YOU & ME, all of the others have been fairly easily obtainable in CD form over the last decade.
Thankfully i Have the original CD releases of all except JYAM which i own on vinyl and have had since 1994 Although unlikely if it ever comes out on CD i will buy it meanwhile my order of the 3 has finally been shipped and whats weird is i pre ordered mine on feb 3 and i called amazon yesterday to find out what the deal was. And i finally got the shipping notice late last night saying They will arrive on Friday im very much looking forward to hearing how they sound.

I just got my latest batch from Amazon, and of this particular lot, only Blow Your Own Horn was noticeably over-folded. I've got some more on the way, so I'm interested to see what happens with the rest of them. I'm not really fond of the cardboard packaging either, although one advantage is that you can stuff more CDs into the same amount of shelf space. With all of these reissues, that's starting to become a real boon. :phones:

ha-presents-2nd-batch.jpg

Hmm. This was my older "stacked" photo. One of the things I noticed when I took that photo was that CHRISTMAS ALBUM, bought back when first released, was noticeably thinner in the spine area. You can see that in the picture.

Nathan's picture above shows a "normal" width spine on that one.
stacked-on-shelf-sm-jpg.1674

Back
Top Bottom