Other Female Singers

Recently I've really been getting into Amy Winehouse. Though she may not be the best role model, she had a great voice in my opinion.

The best female singer of the last twenty years for me. The soulfulness, the singular phrasing and power are unmatched. Back to Black is a masterpiece of music, and she has plenty of other gems.

In December 1983 when I came home from college for the Christmas break, I purchased "What's New" along with "Voice of the Heart". I loved Linda's collaboration with Nelson Riddle and mourned if only Richard and Karen had put out a similar album in 1980 after their "Music, Music, Music" special. I also purchased "Lush Life" and "For Sentimental Reasons". In the late 1980's, I started buying Gloria Estefan's recordings along with Linda's.

The best female singer of the last twenty years for me. The soulfulness, the singular phrasing and power are unmatched. Back to Black is a masterpiece of music, and she has plenty of other gems.

Love Is A Losing Game is gorgeous. Amy's vocal is a masterpiece and the string pattern is absolutely divine. Listening to the line "so professed, profound/til the chips were down" and the strings that accompany it takes me right into Carpenters goosebumps territory. Karen could really have sung this well.

Love Is A Losing Game is gorgeous. Amy's vocal is a masterpiece and the string pattern is absolutely divine. Listening to the line "so professed, profound/til the chips were down" and the strings that accompany it takes me right into Carpenters goosebumps territory. Karen could really have sung this well.

That song takes me to another world. I mean, the whole album does, but this was like a modern standard without any irony underlying it; it could be sung by any singer and have the same emotional impact, despite being deeply personal for Amy herself.

Aside from anything Judith Durham sang, this is quite possibly the prettiest song of the 1960s.

Last edited:
Gari Geiselman performing
We've Only Just Begun--
Richard Carpenter accompanies on Keyboards
When/Where ?:

Barry Manilow did his cd of duets, Anne Murray did hers, here is....
I Just Fall In Love Again
, Anne Murray and Dusty Springfield:

I recently got a "Best of Sheena Easton" CD from one of the $5 bins at a department store in the US. She was/is a great talent with more than a few hits. Tried to imagine Karen singing "Modern Girl" ( recorded 1979/released '80), "For Your Eyes Only" and "We've Got Tonight" (Jan. 1983) a duet w/Kenny Rogers.

It goes to show what a good song I Just Fall In Love Again is. I like both Anne Murray and Dusty Springfield and this song sounded good despite it not being their best. I kept yearning for the orchestra and electric guitar leading up to Karen singing the last chorus. If only ....

Craig

News, and more, Olivia Newton-John:
Olivia Newton-John to ‘Liv On,’ showcase iconic career
Olivia Newton-John to 'Liv On,' showcase iconic career in Easton

Excerpted....
“Olivia was one of the first female artists to be frank about sex,” he said.
“Her ’70s peers, singers like Karen Carpenter, Helen Reddy and Anne Murray,
sang love songs, but almost never sang songs that were sexual in nature.
They certainly never put out a record like ‘Physical.’ That was a risk in 1981.
The record seems tame now, but at the time it pushed the envelope.
I think it helped pave the way for Madonna, whose first No. 1 hit, ‘Like a Virgin,’ came out three years later.

Thank you, @GaryAlan, for providing the excerpt and link to this article about Olivia! The point about Olivia's female contemporaries' avoidance of sex in song lyrics is certainly valid. I think that is why some of us found many of Karen's solo recordings to be quite jarring.

Regarding, Liv On, Olivia's latest release: it is terrific, from start to finish. It is a collaboration with Amy Sky and Beth Nielsen Chapman. It's reminiscent of Trio (Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, and Emmylou Harris) without the emphasis on country music. The harmonies are terrific, yet each lady is given lead vocals here and there. The themes of the CD are healing and coping with loss. In the aforementioned article, Olivia states that she'd like to be remembered for her cancer and wellness center and, musically, for Liv On and Grace and Gratitude, the latter a New Age release centered around the same healing theme, interspersed with haunting, soothing instrumentals. Having followed Carpenters since 1970, the same goes for Olivia. I've always liked her as well. As much as I have enjoyed all her hits, I am quite enamoured with Grace and Gratitude as well as Liv On.

It goes to show what a good song I Just Fall In Love Again is. I like both Anne Murray and Dusty Springfield and this song sounded good despite it not being their best. I kept yearning for the orchestra and electric guitar leading up to Karen singing the last chorus. If only ....

Craig
I still think it's a crime that SOMEHOW a version of this song by Karen was not released as a single. But I think that way about This Masquerade and A Song for You also. But I'm passionate about I Just Fall In Love Again. It was right up there with Solitaire...one of her best recorded performances.

In 1984, Lorrie Morgan performed a beautiful rendition of I Need To Be In Love (TV Show Hee Haw).
Here is an excerpt from Interview 4/19/2017:

" Who are your biggest musical influences, and who do you admire in today's country music industry?"

"LM: My dad was my biggest influence, but as far as who I idolized: Jeannie Seely, who is a great lady and a very good friend of mine; Karen Carpenter, Dottie West and Tammy Wynette. I really admire Miranda Lambert, because she's the real thing. She'll be around for years. She sings about real stuff and things people can relate to. I also really like Keith Urban. He's got staying power."

More:
Six questions with country music star Lorrie Morgan: Concert this Friday in The Woodlands

Canadian singer Sarah Slean "Sarah" (from 2017 "Metaphysics") (lyric video with drawings): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

As someone mentioned Basia, check out former Eye To Eye singer Deborah Berg's website: www.deborahberg.com She was the lead vocalist for Eye To Eye song "Nice Girls" (which sounds like Basia) (went to # 37 on July 24 & 31, 1982) on the Billboard Top 40 Charts. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I prefer female singers as they know how to push my emotional buttons and no one is better at that than the great KC.

Though, I will tear up when I hear the late George Jones sing He Stopped Loving Her Today!

Some other noteworthy performances that I thought about over the weekend;

Ooo Baby Baby - Linda Ronstadt
Talking In Your Sleep - Crystal Gayle
Someone That I Used To Love - Natalie Cole

I would have loved Karen to cover all of the above.

And I will most likely grab for a paper towel when I hear The Greatest Man I Never Knew by Reba McEntire :cry::rolleyes:

Last edited:
[QUOTE
And I will most likely grab for a paper towel when I hear The Greatest Man I Never Knew by Reba McEntire :cry::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And the memories turned to black and white. Great song!

As someone mentioned Basia, check out former Eye To Eye singer Deborah Berg's website: www.deborahberg.com She was the lead vocalist for Eye To Eye song "Nice Girls" (which sounds like Basia) (went to # 37 on July 24 & 31, 1982) on the Billboard Top 40 Charts. Matt Clark Sanford, MI
Thank you so much for telling us about her! Beautiful voice. Never heard of her before that I recall, but that was a busy time in my life and pre-internet listening.

I don't get the Basia vibe from her :hmmm:, but I'll be listening to her now.

Back
Top Bottom