Karen's solo tracks in timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^About the Feb 2,1980 Photo:
Karen is leaning back, then twisting her head off to the side a bit,
to gaze her look into the camera. Purple outfit.
A beautiful photo, by the way !

^^About the Feb 2,1980 Photo:
Karen is leaning back, then twisting her head off to the side a bit,
to gaze her look into the camera. Purple outfit.
A beautiful photo, by the way !

I don't have the 40th Anniversary so can't see the sleeve notes but I think most of not all of the solo photos were taken on that one day.

Is it one of these?

kcshinypurple.jpg

3388444068d2b4677df5af5ad63aa29d.jpg

I located a copy of the A&M Press release for the solo album, written by Paul Grein:
"...Paul Simon suggested that Karen sing Still Crazy After All These Years...."
"Herb Alpert came up with the suggestion for Ramone to produce the album..."
"On February 16,1979, Karen flew to New York to begin planning the album with Ramone."
"Gil Friesen,A&M President told me (Grein)...Karen thought about it long and hard and decided
the duo takes precedence. That was the priority in her life and there was no way she wanted
the solo project to interfere." (regards May 1980 shelving of solo album).

"Gil Friesen,A&M President told me (Grein)...Karen thought about it long and hard and decided
the duo takes precedence. That was the priority in her life and there was no way she wanted
the solo project to interfere." (regards May 1980 shelving of solo album).

I don't buy that for a second. Karen did all her soul searching before she even started working on the album, out of deference to Richard, and then still went ahead anyway. There's no way she'd have spent $400,000 of her own money and 12 months of her life investing her heart and soul into it, only then to decide "the duo takes precedence".

I don't buy that for a second. Karen did all her soul searching before she even started working on the album, out of deference to Richard, and then still went ahead anyway. There's no way she'd have spent $400,000 of her own money and 12 months of her life investing her heart and soul into it, only then to decide "the duo takes precedence".

Yes, that sounds like quintessential PR speak.

I was listening to the album Lovelines today and it occurred to me that Richard used the exact same two tracks to open side A and B of the album as were used on Karen's solo record. For all his criticism of the solo material, it's ironic that he thought two of the solo tracks strong enough to open each side of the Lovelines album.

Is it true that Richard referred to Karen's solo work as "sh**"? I believe I read that somewhere (could have been Little Girl Blue, but I don't have a copy at hand). If it's true, did he say it to Karen?

In the 2016 biopic "Goodbye to Love" Werner Wolfen is interviewed as saying something to the effect that Richard was a great brother but he also "did some things that weren't so good" (cannot remember the exact dialog).

He could be referring to their relationship in general, but I do wonder if he is referring more specifically to the solo album project. That was a huge disappointment for Karen and by most accounts he (Richard) played a roll in squelching it or at least didn't back her, in the push at A&M for the record. I am of the opinion that Richard honestly did not like the album, but if he told Karen it was "$#!^" then I suggest it was fear of what a successful solo Karen might mean for him. Oh, to be a fly on the wall at A&M when that album was played for the powers-that-be.

I must say: while Karen sang brilliantly as always on the tracks for her solo album, did any of the songs themselves strike you as no-brainer, automatic smash hit material? I have no criticism for Karen's performance on the tracks, which as could be expected, was great. What I do have doubts about is the quality of the material selected for recording. The songs were competent, but none really stands out and catches fire the way the hottest Carpenters hits did.

I am of the opinion that Richard honestly did not like the album, but if he told Karen it was "$#!^" then I suggest it was fear of what a successful solo Karen might mean for him.

I think you nailed it David with that comment.

And perhaps guilt that kept it on the shelf for so long...

I must say: while Karen sang brilliantly as always on the tracks for her solo album, did any of the songs themselves strike you as no-brainer, automatic smash hit material?

Yes, If I Had You had the potential to be hit. In a 1989 radio interview to promote Lovelines, Richard was confronted with a DJ who said that song sounded like it had been recorded yesterday. It was so commercial and catchy with a great hook, great harmonies and a killer sax solo. I don't think anyone expected her solo album to be a number one best seller but that single could have propelled its sales upwards. Even Richard has begrudgingly admitted as much.

Yes, If I Had You had the potential to be hit. In a 1989 radio interview to promote Lovelines, Richard was confronted with a DJ who said that song sounded like it had been recorded yesterday. It was so commercial and catchy with a great hook, great harmonies and a killer sax solo. I don't think anyone expected her solo album to be a number one best seller but that single could have propelled its sales upwards. Even Richard has begrudgingly admitted as much.

I've got it on repeat play right now. It certainly isn't bad. I'm trying to imagine it in the context of other pop singles released in 1980 and how it would have performed in terms of radio airplay and record sales against the competition that year. Hot 100? Top 40? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? All the way to # 1? What do you say, fans?

I've got it on repeat play right now. It certainly isn't bad. I'm trying to imagine it in the context of other pop singles released in 1980 and how it would have performed in terms of radio airplay and record sales against the competition that year. Hot 100? Top 40? Top 20? Top 10? Top 5? All the way to # 1? What do you say, fans?

Top 20 at least I'd say, which wouldn't have been bad for a debut solo single. The fact that Karen had gone solo after 10 years as part of the duo would have been enough to attract at least some attention and airplay.

If the Captain and Tennille can have a hit in 1980, Karen could have.
And Do It To Me One More Time was a song very similar to Karen's solo tracks --- it was basically a song about sex. So I could also see, besides If I Had You, Making Love In The Afternoon also being a contender as a single for Karen, along with My Body Keeps Changing My Mind, although with MBKCMM for a single in 80 I think it would've needed a remix closer to what Richard gave it in 90 to make it more a Dance single than a Disco single.

But I could also see as another single, that might've just been a single-only release, Don't Try To Win Me Back.

Last edited:
If the Captain and Tennille can have a hit in 1980, Karen could have.
Agreed - but I really believe it would have to have been if Carpenters made a miraculous comeback. Perhaps in Country music?
I hope this doesn't devolve into a Richard bashing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom