Favorite Herb Alpert record cover

David S

Ok, so we all know about the iconic WCAOD TJB record cover. But does anyone have a favorite record cover of Mr Alpert's solo career?

Maybe I'm prejudiced because I like the album itself so much, but my vote is for Bullish.

(Okay, it's labelled as a Tijuana Brass album, but the music style was definitely that of Alpert's solo-career style at the time, so I consider it to be a "solo".)

I just think it's an impressive piece of art. With a few simple lines, the artist gives us a picture that looks so real and 3-D-ish.

I like the Rise cover because of the fact the photos were taken at what was the A&M studios at the time and the sunlight provided the necessary effect it was natural not artificial and also Herb was looking very sharp in that photo and the images of the Records on the wall were Perfect.

I agree about the Bullish cover being striking. It's about as close to having a logo (besides, of course, the iconic A&M logo).

And I agree about Rise - I have always thought the "records" in the background on the Rise cover is kinda cool. Have always liked My Abstract Heart because of his painting;also have thoight that Second Wind was a nice and dignified picture. I've always smiled at the Beyond cover because when I wss a kid I wrote to A&M for one of the promo posters (they were big hard card stock) and, lo and behold, one came in the mail one day.

One of these days, perhaps he should consider naming a "record" Vibrato and take pictures within that great venue, which is lovely (though it would provide some nice synergy, too). Also a picture of him on his residence in Malibu with the ocean in the background. Just name it Malibu... :).

Out of the solo albums, I think my favorite cover is Keep Your Eye On Me, just because it looks so snazzy. It really evokes the feel of the album, I think. Of the TJB albums, I like SRO the best, with Ninth a close second. I tend to like the covers that feature the whole band the best.

I've always been (and probably always will be, I guess) puzzled why Herb put "Tijuana Brass" on the Bullish cover. Maybe it was a logo they planned to use in the TJB days but never did? Maybe it was the marketing people telling him the TJB name would sell more records? Or is it just because the album has some of the harmony-trumpet sounds that hark back to the TJB days? I do like that cover, but I think the inside picture of Herb should have been on the outside somewhere.

The only solo cover I have always really disliked is Blow Your Own Horn. Maybe he did that shirtless thing for the ladies, I dunno. But my least favorite album cover of all of his covers is You Smile the Song Begins. That's just a very boring cover. (Definitive Hits is no great shakes either, but the Polygram marketing department probably had more to do with that one than Herb did.)

I've always been (and probably always will be, I guess) puzzled why Herb put "Tijuana Brass" on the Bullish cover. Maybe it was a logo they planned to use in the TJB days but never did? Maybe it was the marketing people telling him the TJB name would sell more records? Or is it just because the album has some of the harmony-trumpet sounds that hark back to the TJB days? I do like that cover, but I think the inside picture of Herb should have been on the outside somewhere.

The only solo cover I have always really disliked is Blow Your Own Horn. Maybe he did that shirtless thing for the ladies, I dunno. But my least favorite album cover of all of his covers is You Smile the Song Begins. That's just a very boring cover. (Definitive Hits is no great shakes either, but the Polygram marketing department probably had more to do with that one than Herb did.)
Agreed, YOU SMILE was a pretty bland cover. As for BLOW YOUR OWN HORN, you hit the nail squarely on the head: Must've been for the ladies. I remember taking a stack of Herb's up-to-date solo material to high school in the mid-80s, and high school girls were going nuts over that one. Whatever.
Then there's BULLISH. I agree, great logo and design, even if it was [as I've stated multiple times previously] TJBINO (Tijuana Brass In Name Only). It was released at the same time as a true TJB reunion tour which took place in 1984, and it's been suggested that this was the only reason that it was billed as such.

One of my favorite photos of Herb Alpert is the one that Richard Avedon took for the front cover of "Fandango." He looks very "cool" in the Panama hat and white coat, with the trumpet on his shoulder. A really nice shot!

Having his autograph on the back cover is good, too.

Charles

Rise would be my first choice (probably for sentimental reasons, since that was "my" first Herb Alpert album that wasn't my parents'). But it's still really an outstanding cover anyway.

After that I'd probably go with Magic Man, since as a trumpet nerd, I always like a good photo of a trumpet.

And Bullish is just a terrific design. I'd love a T-shirt of that. And a coffee mug. And a poster.

Main Event Live would also be great to have a poster of.

I'm a fairly newer member who hasn't posted often. I was just reading this discussion and decided to weigh in. My favorite TJB album cover is What Now My Love. A close second is Warm, which Herb autographed for me in Cincinnati last week. I'll probably take a photo of that cover and make it my avatar sometime soon. I also like the cover photo of Herb and the TJB members on the first Greatest Hits album.

Of course, the question was favorite solo career album cover. I have three favorites: (3) Fandango; (2) Magic Man; (1) Under A Spanish Moon (which I just made my current avatar). I find that to be an under-rated album and cover. I hope to see it in the next round of HAP re-releases.

Rise would be my first choice (probably for sentimental reasons, since that was "my" first Herb Alpert album that wasn't my parents'). But it's still really an outstanding cover anyway.

After that I'd probably go with Magic Man, since as a trumpet nerd, I always like a good photo of a trumpet.

And Bullish is just a terrific design. I'd love a T-shirt of that. And a coffee mug. And a poster.

Main Event Live would also be great to have a poster of.
Sign me up for a tshirt of the Bullish cover. Add a mouse pad to to those ideas!

For me it's a tie between Beyond and Fandango. The photo for Blow Your Own Horn is noteworthy as it is by renowned photographer Annie Leibowitz... Graphically I like Bullish and Keep Your Eye On Me.

--Mr Bill

Whipped Cream is certainly the most famous cover, but I think most "uber-fans" would pick something showing the band as their favorite....I know I would!

I'm probably the only person in the world that has a framed Whipped Cream album — showing the back cover, where all seven bandmates signed it.
The sad thing today is that you could probably get very few of the original member signatures for it. :sigh:

Can't really pick one favorite--the cover often goes along with the mood of the album. Graphically, Bullish is a favorite. Used to have a t-shirt but it got misplaced in one of my moves over the past decade. (Still may be in a box somewhere...or not.) Too many bogus items to trust eBay for a replacement. I prefer more artsy or conceptual covers, over covers that primarily feature a face or a simple portrait.

But to me, overall, Whipped Cream is a signpost of the 60s, and that is the one Alpert-related album cover I have framed and hanging on the wall (among many other favorites--it is sandwiched between Depeche Mode's Violator and Pat Metheny Group's Letter From Home currently). It stood for a lot at the time it was released, it has an interesting back story, and it's easy on the eyes. Can't really find another cover as important as this one, and it's also ingenious in its execution. It may not be a top favorite but it's definitely in the top three.

I think the "Beyond" cover is great. Herb looks so good and the light is phenomenal.

- Greetings from the nice north -
Martin

First off: hello to my A&M family out there in internet land! I've been soooo busy in the last year or so, so forgive me if you haven't heard from me as much! Now that I got that over with, here goes! My favorite Alpert covers: hands down for me would be first South Of The Border! Herb is just standing there smiling looking very handsome and jus' chillin', holding his trumpet, and that sexy babe is leaning into him smiling as well!( I've heard that the 'babe' was Jerry Moss' first wife.) Also, given my West Indian background, it has a tropical feel to it in the background, and the rest of the 'musicians' in the background as well. He looks very relaxed, and very cool, and also Herb autographed this for me, the Shout Factory reprint CD when I met him back in 2008.

Next would be What Now My Love. Same lady, same background(somewhat), and the principals' posing says it all. When my friend and I saw the album cover in the 80s, we laughed because the cover confirmed the album's title. Herb looks tired by now of the lady clinging to him. When I first saw this album, I thought that Herb looked a lot like actor/singer James Darren!(ironic touch here: twas Darren that FIRST got me into Herb in the first place!! Remember 'Portrait Of A Legend', folks? More about that later!)

After that it would be probably the ninth album, but I like the back of the album more, because of all the snapshots of Herb and the Brass in concert. Next would be the Solid Brass cover with Herb looking like he's yelling gleefully and his right arm in front of his chest in a sky blue background. Another one that I like is the Beyond cover with Herb looking cool and regal at the same time; with an oceanic background. North On South Street also gets a shout out with the faded photos of Herb on the cover in red and purple, and the helvitica lettering of his name in the center of the album. Last, but not least for me is the Midnight Sun CD, with Herb in silhouette behind a purple curtain illustrating the 'midnight jazz' feel of the album. Herb also autographed this CD for me when I first met him in 2005.

Well, those are my favorite Herb Alpert album covers so far! Any more that come to mind, I'll let you know! Til then take care all!
jazzdre

I also like the South of the Border cover for similar reasons Jazzdre mentioned plus I love the trumpet herb was holding to me it was and still is The Perfect Horn ( minus the dents lol) I always dreamed of doing my own version of the front cover when I was much younger and had more hair and I was 13 when I first had the vinyl version it was and still is A Very Joyous and Happy album inside and out and that's Everything the music the artwork The Whole Enchilada

Back
Top Bottom