Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

Here is Richard Carpenter(Melody Maker 1975,Ray Coleman):
"There's one I wanted to do for a year and a half...Elton John's SkyLine Pigeon.
Love it. Can't get Karen to do it. But I can hear it and maybe someday we will do it
."

Well, could this have been a Carpenters' song ?

Karen should have done a few duets with big name male singers back in the day. I am growing to love Two Sides from the Passage album and was thinking what if it was done as a duet? It's certainly a song about a romantic relationship breaking up (perfect duet material). I think she should've done it with Lou Rawls, I can totally hear him sing those lyrics with that beautiful baritone of his.

Karen should have done a few duets with big name male singers back in the day. I am growing to love Two Sides from the Passage album and was thinking what if it was done as a duet? It's certainly a song about a romantic relationship breaking up (perfect duet material). I think she should've done it with Lou Rawls, I can totally hear him sing those lyrics with that beautiful baritone of his.

She did do a duet with Peter Cetera of Chicago.

I don't think that really counts as a duo. He provided back up vocals.
I just checked the liner notes for the CD. On Making Love In The Afternoon it says "Vocal Duo by Karen Carpenter & Peter Cetera". The only other Vocal credit in the album is for "Vocal Acrobatics by Rod Temperton", but that credit is lisyed in the general credits section, not under any particular song.

I just checked the liner notes for the CD. On Making Love In The Afternoon it says "Vocal Duo by Karen Carpenter & Peter Cetera". The only other Vocal credit in the album is for "Vocal Acrobatics by Rod Temperton", but that credit is lisyed in the general credits section, not under any particular song.

I'd argue that the liner notes are misleading. If it was a true duet he would have sung entire verses. As it is, all he does is harmonise with her on the choruses.

How about "I Can't Make You Love Me"?
Great choice! I can totally hear Karen singing this and of course she would lend her unique emotional and lyrical interpretation to it. I watched two YouTube videos to reacquaint me to the song; Bonnie Raitt & Adele. By far, to me, Bonnie Raitt's version is more convincing and heart rendering than Adele's. Adele is a fine singer, no doubt about that, but she just doesn't convince me. She gets incredible numbers on YouTube; for this video over 25 million views (on a live version) as opposed to Bonnie's 11 million (which surprised me how high it was). It's an absolutely beautiful song and I am convinced Karen would have done a magnificent job with it.

She did do a duet with Peter Cetera of Chicago.
Making Love In The Afternoon was only allowed to be listened to by the world 17 years after it was recorded. It doesn't count. I wanted her to do a duet while with The Carpenters. On good terms, in her prime.

Had Karen recovered from her illness, I can picture her and Richard joining up with the USA For Africa crew on "We Are The World" in 1985. I imagine that a healthy Karen and Richard would still very much be active on the pop music scene in 1985.

I've been listening to the band Weezer lately. Their song 'Island in the Sun' (if it had a lighter mix) could totally suit Karen's voice. Maybe it's just me Here's a video of the song:

I am mesmerized by The Voice's Lauren Duski's rendition of "Somewhere in My Broken Heart". Would have been perfect for Karen. If only.

If Karen's solo album had included a cover of Patti Smith's "Because the Night" (written by Bruce Springsteen), it perhaps could have made for a hit single from the album. The song would have also had fit the change of image that Karen was going for.

If Karen's solo album had included a cover of Patti Smith's "Because the Night" (written by Bruce Springsteen), it perhaps could have made for a hit single from the album. The song would have also had fit the change of image that Karen was going for.
Good Point. I think Karen had the "chops" to pull-off a genuine rock and roll song. I believe she had a more powerful voice than her critics gave her credit for. It would've widened her fan base much like Heart Like A Wheel did for Linda Ronstadt.

I think Karen had the "chops" to pull-off a genuine rock and roll song. I believe she had a more powerful voice than her critics gave her credit for. It would've widened her fan base much like Heart Like A Wheel did for Linda Ronstadt.

I would disagree there. I don't think Karen had the vocal strength to belt out rock songs. On some of the rockier solo outtakes it sounds like she's shouting rather than singing. I just don't think she was cut out for that type of song.

I would disagree there. I don't think Karen had the vocal strength to belt out rock songs. On some of the rockier solo outtakes it sounds like she's shouting rather than singing. I just don't think she was cut out for that type of song.

I wouldn't expect Karen to try her voice on "Helter Skelter" or "Highway to Hell," but I think "Because the Night" would fall into her vocal range and oeuvre. :)

Before replying, I listened to 3 female-lead "rock" songs to "familiarize myself" whether they would be compatible to Karen's vocal abilities. They were; Because The Night (Patti Smith), You're No Good (Linda Ronstadt), and Barracuda (Heart). I know there is that argument that KC was the most "closely mic'd" singer in history because her singing voice was "barely above a whisper". I don't buy this theory because I see and hear, for an example; her famous "live" renditions of Superstar and especially Rainy Days & Mondays on the 1971 BBC TV Special. She is BELTING OUT the closing stanzas of Rainy Days quite nicely in fact. Plus, she was only 21 years of age at that time and her voice was likely still developing...The Smith & Ronstadt songs I believe she would have no trouble with. Barracuda I don't believe she could do, that requires intense hysterics that only Ann Wilson can provide. I would even dare to say that she would have been more successful covering rock-oriented songs than she was venturing into the disco realm, which I believe was a mistake.

First time poster here -- glad I discovered this great site... I've been listening a lot lately to my second favorite singer Astrud Gilberto, and I often imagine how Karen would have handled Gentle Rain. Just the right amount of melancholy to suit her perfectly.

Heard Rod Stewart yesterday on the radio singing What A Wonderful World. I must say, Hot Rod did a pretty good job with it! And of course, I immediately thought of Karen covering it. I can imagine Richard doing a nice string arrangement, with perhaps some harp from Gayle Levant, and the great KC plugging into that emotional wellspring of hers, making a lovely song even lovelier. In dreams, only in dreams...

Back
Top Bottom